New Can of Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Amazon, and grocery stores sell plastic lids you can put on the pet food cans once they are open. In the grocery they will be hanging off the ends of the shelves in bags. here is an example from Amazon. They should work for other canned food, though I've heard it's not a good idea to leave open cans of tomatoes due to the acid in them. It's better to put tomatoes/tomato sauce in glass or plastic containers. I could be wrong about that.

View attachment 394280

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N44LDV6/?tag=thecatsite
I have 2 cat lids and one lid can fit small tin too , I always store our food in other containers so now will do it for Oreo's food

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Amazon, and grocery stores sell plastic lids you can put on the pet food cans once they are open. In the grocery they will be hanging off the ends of the shelves in bags. here is an example from Amazon. They should work for other canned food, though I've heard it's not a good idea to leave open cans of tomatoes due to the acid in them. It's better to put tomatoes/tomato sauce in glass or plastic containers. I could be wrong about that.

View attachment 394280

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N44LDV6/?tag=thecatsite
Those look like what I bought. They fit on 2.8 oz can and cans slightly bigger than 3 oz. Unfortunately, the lids don't stay on good if you drop a can. Otherwise,good investment

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat's sense of taste and smell is most sensitive to things that are the temperature of blood.

Cats eat mice, birds and all different kinds of warm blooded critters. Nature has tuned their sense of taste to be most sensitive to things that are warm like the things they eat.

Food that's been in the fridge is likely to be 35º-40º F. That's way too cold for a cat to effectively taste.
If you warm your cat's food up to about 90º-100º F. they'll probably eat more readily.

At least let the food sit out until the chill comes off.

Our cat, Casper, eats about half a can of food per day. (He eats half dry and half canned.) The leftover food gets served the next day but, after that, the partial can gets thrown out.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A cat's sense of taste and smell is most sensitive to things that are the temperature of blood.

Cats eat mice, birds and all different kinds of warm blooded critters. Nature has tuned their sense of taste to be most sensitive to things that are warm like the things they eat.

Food that's been in the fridge is likely to be 35º-40º F. That's way too cold for a cat to effectively taste.
If you warm your cat's food up to about 90º-100º F. they'll probably eat more readily.

At least let the food sit out until the chill comes off.

Our cat, Casper, eats about half a can of food per day. (He eats half dry and half canned.) The leftover food gets served the next day but, after that, the partial can gets thrown out.
I have been taking the canned food out 1/2 hour to warm to room temp then he likes it better
maybe longer

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been adding some warm water too and it helps too

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many cats like different food for different meals. Perhaps buy smaller cans and switch out the flavors for dinner and breakfast.
I will try this next time I need cat food

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use container for left over wet food . I now feed wet/canned 2 X a day and set it out to warm up

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought plastic containers for left overs now Oreo will not eat the food even when taken out , could it be the smell plastic he does not like should I buy the small 3 oz tins

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be the smell of the plastic. Let your containers sit open for a few weeks, not stacked. If you buy any food in small plastic containers with lids, you might try them. I'm thinking the crumbled cheese size containers.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be the smell of the plastic. Let your containers sit open for a few weeks, not stacked. If you buy any food in small plastic containers with lids, you might try them. I'm thinking the crumbled cheese size containers.
thank you that is what I think too , I washed and rinsed the containers as well

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper’s Girl-Human almost always makes his food.

When I make his food he gives me a look that seems to say, “You didn’t do it like Mom does!”

When I put the food down for him, he just takes a sniff then walks away.

Could your cat be doing the same thing because you didn’t do it the same way you always do…. “Aw, Mom! You’re not doing it right!”

;)

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take the canned /wet out before meal and let warm to room temp, however has no problem eating new open can so may buy smaller cans

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be that he wants to hear the sound of the top popping off the can?

Casper could be in a dead sleep and if he hears the sound of his food being opened, he’ll come a’runnin’.

Now that the sound is different, your cat doesn’t think it’s the same.

Often, it’s more about the fussing and attention-getting than the food. ;)

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my other Kitty Sam used to do this too when I open a new can or fridge he would come running
Oreo seems to do this too and if I add some treats to it he will eat it too but I try not too since it maybe not good

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I opened a new can and he ate it tomorrow the other part

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this probably won't happen, but with things as tight as they are at the vets and as much stress as there is, I'm gonna tell you one thing that might happen that has an easy fix. You don't need to worry about this, just know what it is if it happens. It probably will not happen. You've been using plastic containers forever.

If you find your cat gets bumps on his chin after eating in a plastic bowl, there is a good chance he's allergic to the plastic that the bowl is made of. other plastics maybe not. No, I don't know how to tell one plastic from the other. However, if cat gets these bumps switch to a non-plastic bowl. This will make the bumps go away if they are the plastic allergy.

I've never heard whether or not you can store a cat who is allergic to plastics food in plastic.

Do not even try to get rid of all the plastic in your home. In the USA you would have nothing left.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my kitten has ceramic bowls not plastic we only store the leftovers in plastic containers

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find your cat gets bumps on his chin after eating in a plastic bowl
Did you know that there are bacteria that actually grow on plastic?
I don't, simply, mean that bacteria can grow in microscopic nooks and crannies. There are some kinds of bacteria that actually live on plastic.

There are medical grade plastics like Tygon and Mevopur that don't harbor bacteria as easily because they can be sterilized without melting in heat. There are food grade plastics as well but most "regular" plastics can harbor bacteria and it can be pretty difficult to get rid of because you can't often get the plastic hot enough to kill bacteria without melting it or damaging it with disinfectants.

Glass, metal and ceramic are all good because they can be cleaned within an inch of their lives without damage.

Yes, some cheap plastics do have ingredients in them that can cause allergies or be otherwise harmful.

Part of the problem is that, when you buy a plastic food bowl for your cat, you never know exactly what kind of plastic it's made from, even if it has one of those triangle-shaped logos molded into it. If you wanted to be sure, you'd have to buy something made from medical grade plastic like Tygon. That would be expensive... far too expensive for something so simple as a food bowl for a cat.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so I will put left overs in a ceramic type container

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does not bode well for my kitchen, figures.

Caspers Human Caspers Human "If you wanted to be sure, you'd have to buy something made from medical grade plastic like Tygon. That would be expensive... far too expensive for something so simple as a food bowl for a cat."

I think given the givens we have seen, most companies would not bother to use the medical grade plastic to package ordinary food in.