New Can of Food

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I open a new can of wet food Oreo really enjoys ,it then seems not that interested after it been in the fridge
a few days

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The texture and smell of cold food is different from room temperature straight-from-the-can food. You can try warming up cold food by adding warm water or microwaving for no more than a few seconds (not directly in the can. Use a microwave safe bowl).

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
When I open a new can of wet food Oreo really enjoys ,it then seems not that interested after it been in the fridge
a few days
In my opinion I wouldn't leave it in the refrigerator that long...For me I would do a day at most
And then when you take it out warm it up a bit in microwave with paper towel over the small plate of cat food for a 1/2 minute ..test with your finger and give to cat warm not hot but just warm..
It will make the cat food have a bit of aroma to the cats liking hopefully

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion I wouldn't leave it in the refrigerator that long...For me I would do a day at most
And then when you take it out warm it up a bit in microwave with paper towel over the small plate of cat food for a 1/2 minute ..test with your finger and give to cat warm not hot but just warm..
It will make the cat food have a bit of aroma to the cats liking hopefully
I buy the 5 oz size can
should I buy the smaller 3 oz size

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many cats like different food for different meals. Perhaps buy smaller cans and switch out the flavors for dinner and breakfast.
I will try that thank you

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feed cat food that's been in the fridge past three days. I don't know if that's a recommendation. But that's my rule. If I don't think I'll remember or there are multiple cans in the fridge, I'll put a sticker with day #3 written on it on the side of the can. If I opened a can on Monday, I'll put a "Wed" sticker on it. When Thursday rolls around, if that can is still in the fridge, I dump it and start over with a fresh can.

When I do feed a portion from the fridge, I would spoon it into a plastic baggie first, press it flat (speeds up the next step), and run it under hot water until the food inside feels lukewarm through the baggie. Towards the end with Krista, I did this for every portion whether it was fresh from the can or left over from the fridge. It only adds another 20 or 30 seconds to prep time. That way every portion got the warm prey treatment. 😻

I prefer this method to microwaving which further cooks the food and changes the texture. It can also leave hot spots. There are few foods I enjoy myself after they have been reheated via microwave. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add a little bit of hot water (from the stove kettle) to wet food pate for Susan. If I accidentally add a little too much, I even it out with a little cold water and stirring. If I'm unsure whether it might be too warm, I dip my clean pinky finger in to assess.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't feed cat food that's been in the fridge past three days. I don't know if that's a recommendation. But that's my rule. If I don't think I'll remember or there are multiple cans in the fridge, I'll put a sticker with day #3 written on it on the side of the can. If I opened a can on Monday, I'll put a "Wed" sticker on it. When Thursday rolls around, if that can is still in the fridge, I dump it and start over with a fresh can.

When I do feed a portion from the fridge, I would spoon it into a plastic baggie first, press it flat (speeds up the next step), and run it under hot water until the food inside feels lukewarm through the baggie. Towards the end with Krista, I did this for every portion whether it was fresh from the can or left over from the fridge. It only adds another 20 or 30 seconds to prep time. That way every portion got the warm prey treatment. 😻

I prefer this method to microwaving which further cooks the food and changes the texture. It can also leave hot spots. There are few foods I enjoy myself after they have been reheated via microwave. 🤦‍♂️
good Idea thank you I will try this . too

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much like daftcat75 daftcat75 I keep the frozen cubes of treat food for SG (make them in an ice cube tray) in freezer until the night before I need one, then put one in the fridge in a tiny Tupperwear like dish. The next morning I float that dish in a bowl of hot water to warm up the food.

As the others I would not keep food three days in fridge. I suspect that's why the companies came up with the smaller cans. But it is hard to throw food out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep a 3 oz can of food in the fridge for at week. I only give a small amount of canned food as a bedtime snack for one cat. Neither cat have had any issue eating week old food.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Much like daftcat75 daftcat75 I keep the frozen cubes of treat food for SG (make them in an ice cube tray) in freezer until the night before I need one, then put one in the fridge in a tiny Tupperwear like dish. The next morning I float that dish in a bowl of hot water to warm up the food.

As the others I would not keep food three days in fridge. I suspect that's why the companies came up with the smaller cans. But it is hard to throw food out.
good idea thank you

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep a 3 oz can of food in the fridge for at week. I only give a small amount of canned food as a bedtime snack for one cat. Neither cat have had any issue eating week old food.
thank you I just bought 5 cans of 5oz tins

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this morning I took wet food out of fridge 1/2 hour before giving it to Oreo and then put the rest in glass bowl and in fridge

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a plastic ice tray. Once the cubes are frozen I pop them out and put them in Tupperwear to keep in the freeze and only thaw one a night.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar to others, I take food out an hour before feeding and still warm it up by floating in hot water before serving when needed. I've heard you can leave cans in the fridge up to 3 days, which I do.

For larger cans that only one of my cats eats, I portion the 12 oz. cans into 3 oz. servings and put in a freezer bag in the freezer when the can gets opened. I let the baggie defrost and then float in hot water.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Amazon, and grocery stores sell plastic lids you can put on the pet food cans once they are open. In the grocery they will be hanging off the ends of the shelves in bags. here is an example from Amazon. They should work for other canned food, though I've heard it's not a good idea to leave open cans of tomatoes due to the acid in them. It's better to put tomatoes/tomato sauce in glass or plastic containers. I could be wrong about that.

1630928173250.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N44LDV6/?tag=thecatsite