New Brand Of Food - Anyone Tried It?

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI all -

In researching raw food diets for my cats, I've been looking at all the brands/suppliers/websites  I've seen people mention here. I saw something new in the pet store the other day and wanted to see what the 'experts' (ya'll know WAY more than I do!!) think about it.

www.applawspetfood.com

It has no additives, it's cooked, but they are only made of 3 or 4 ingredients. It's being billed as a "compliment" to your cat's diet.

I bought 2 of the "pots" of food for my Autumn, who is on a strict s/d only diet to dissolve a struvite stone. She HATES the wet s/d and only nibbles at the dry s/d. I was worried she wasn't getting enough to eat, so I thought I'd try this just to give her added nutrition without undoing the work from the s/d food. She seemed to like it all right, now I want to know what everyone here thinks of it!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, you found this food in the U.S.  I thought it was only available in Europe!  This must be expanding over here.  I haven't seen it yet, but Arizona seems to always be behind the times in cat food
.  We still don't even have a Hounds and Gatos distributor that I'm aware of

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Applaws wet is an expensive, supplementary feed that shouldn't be more than 15% of the cat's total diet. It lacks vitamins and minerals necessary to make it complete, it has a very very low amount of fat and it has a weird ca to phos ratio which I do not remember now, but I will search for it if needed. It is low in calories, about 55 calories/pouch - 70 grams.

However, it is probably the most palatable food I have tried, as all of my three love all the flavors and varieties- pouches, trays, pots, cans.

IMO it is a good food to use as a treat or as a topper for fussy cats.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just bought 3 flavors (100% natural salmon, mackerel, and tuna) to use as a treat because purebites isn't readily available around here. What makes these Applaws treats different from human grade fish we eat? It's packaged, so I guess it's for convenience? I'm not a big fan of feeding fish on a regular basis but it occurred to me that instead of buying these, we could just cut a tiny portion of raw fish before we cook to eat? I much prefer purebites because they are freeze dried and easier to feed as a treat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Applaws has been around in Europe for a number of years and was one of the few wet foods our last cat deigned to eat. It's not a complete food, so should only be fed as a special treat or as a topping to get picky cats to eat a new food (we use it that way at the shelter when switching a cat to prescription food). It's very similar to almo nature.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed Applaws wet pouches as an after play treat. It was the only food all three cats would eat, and two of them pretty much don’t like any treats at all.

But as others said, it’s not a balanced food.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you find the pate from Applaws, it is a complete food. The pouches are supplementary food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call these treat pots because they aren't complete so I only offer them as a treat. But for getting Krista through all the nausea and inappetence of her pancreatitis, I would often drain off the water from the Pure Bites pots and use that to flavor whatever balanced food I was trying to get her to eat. I liked the Pure Bites pots better than the Applaws because, when it comes to limited ingredients, 2 ingredients beats 4. The PB tuna pots were simply tuna in water. I could drain off the water, add a little more water, and drain that off next meal. I could get two, maybe three rounds of tuna water this way. I saved the tuna meat for when all the other bribes weren't working and I just needed her eating something that meal. "Reveal" is another brand that makes simple treat pots. Reveal is available at the local Safeway. If I felt desperate to get Krista to eat something, I could always go to Safeway for a can of Fancy Feast and a treat pot of Reveal.