New Anxious Orphaned Kitten Mom

teenytinycashews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Long time listener first time caller.

i have recently been given two orphaned 10 week old kittens. Now i completely and fully understand that you never want to take kittens under the age of 12 weeks however in this case the kitties mom had unfortunately died after tragically getting hit by a car. They are fully weaned and eating solid foods (I have them on a diet of wet and solid) They were given to me by my coworker who says they are too much energy for her. I have lots of space and time to snuggle and play with the babies (which we do a lot of) but i also find myself constantly worrying about them — their weight,behavior, cleanliness, etc. the other day one of them sneezed for the first time and i got soooo scared that she was dying or something. I think part of the anxiety is definitely their age. We have our first vet appointment this week as well which I hope helps!

I guess my question is, am i being a helicopter worry-wort mom? did any of you go through this anxiety with young kittens? And what are best practices with such young babies?

Here is Chai (loooves spooning my arm) and Basil (she is a pretty lil tiger!!)

Attachments

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think 10 weeks will be ok. Years ago, people took them away from mom at about 6 weeks. Then the cats had problems, but certainly not all did. And there are 2 of them to keep each other company.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think, as you say, you are a worrying mother. Of course, its your task to take care and worry.

My healthy residents do sneeze occasionally, and even puke.

That said, its not unusual cats / kittens, changing milieu, do gets some symptoms. A dormant infection burst open.
So this visit to the vet wont hurt.

Also, Im not sure they are full 10 weeks. Not that it does much difference here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teenytinycashews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think 10 weeks will be ok. Years ago, people took them away from mom at about 6 weeks. Then the cats had problems, but certainly not all did. And there are 2 of them to keep each other company.
Thank you for your reply!! i definitely think you are right and I am happy they have each other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teenytinycashews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think, as you say, you are a worrying mother. Of course, its your task to take care and worry.

My healthy residents do sneeze occasionally, and even puke.

That said, its not unusual cats / kittens, changing milieu, do gets some symptoms. A dormant infection burst open.
So this visit to the vet wont hurt.

Also, Im not sure they are full 10 weeks. Not that it does much difference here.
This was very reassuring thank you so much for this response! Also I was thinking the same thing — they are itty bitty and their eyes just barely turned green over the past few days.