New and Resident Kittens + Neutering

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Gang - 

I have questions regarding two things: 1) relationship between my two kittens - one 12-week (Mylo) and the other 10-month (Mushe), both are male, maine coon. 2) Mushe's neutering surgery. 

1) I brought home Mylo 3 days ago, even though the breeder told me I didn't need to segregate them in different rooms, I did it for security and potential physical reasons, but did allow them to meet each other 3-4 times a day, attended. My older kitty Mushe seemed fine initially, was curious and wanting to play with Mylo who was constantly hissing at him. Today which is 2 days later, the new kitten no longer hisses, is willing to approach Mushe and allowing him to sniff around him. However, Mushe seems more violent now, not hissing but pouncing on Mylo and using its teeth on his neck and belly areas, once scared me like a fired-up tiger trying to kill his prey.  Mylo did scream twice but the other times seemed ok and fighting back. I wonder if this is all normal behavior between newly introduced and resident cats. I'm still closely watching on them, and how long do you think segregation is needed? (Mushe is close to 15 lbs and Mylo is 3.2 lbs)

2) Mushe is not neutered yet for a reason - a vet once 'guestimated' that he might have heart issue and that might influence the anesthesia to be used. The guestimate was due to some skin-twitching symptom and my inital fear that maine coons are more prone to HCM. She did urine test and bloodwork on him, declaring bloodwork results could potentially indicate heart problems yet did not find anything associated to heart. She also recommended echo, which is $400. I myself have done loads of research but didn't see any association between skin twitching behavior and heart issues. I also consulted with another vet and he didn't think there was either.  However, I don't want to risk Mushe's life, not even for a chance of 0.0001%, therefore have been postponing the surgery until a more definitive answer is found. I'd like to see what is the group's intel like on this matter, and, what would be the best timing for the surgery considering there's a new kitten home now and we are moving places in 1.5 months?

Appreciate your help. 

Last edited:

llinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought he a new kitten. And my Cleo hissed at him for about 2 days. Now they wrestle and bite at each other's neck. Once in a while. Someone yelps and the other backs down. But they seem to love each other even thou the rough housing gets tense sometes

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your resident cat is just showing your new kitten that he is the alpha and he's not trying to seriously hurt him.

Based on my experience introducing two male kittens, I would let them work it out from here and not separate them unless you think your resident male is going to hurt the new kitten. It would help if your resident was neutered. At 10 months old he has had enough time to mature and I hope you find a solution to your concern about his heart. Best of luck [emoji]128515[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @Alistair  and @ 
I'm glad that it worked out well between your kitties and thank you so much for your input. @Alistair, I honestly don't know if Mushe the resident kitten is trying to hurt the younger. I hope he is not since that would really ruin his image as a friendly and mellow kitty. However, given the size and weight difference between the two, I'm not confident that his pouncing will not hurt the other by accident. 

sadly I have to separate them and be with them by turns -- 4 hrs with Mushe for the first half of the night and the same amount of time for the second half. Both of them require a lot of attention, both of them are stressed, both of them cry when I'm absent. I truly hope it doesn't take long for them to bound so that this can end.