New and older cats, feeding issues

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted two senior cats about 6 weeks ago, adding to a household with two other older cats. I was feeding the "pre-exisitng" cats one brand, while the shelter from which I got the new ones fed them another. While the new kids were in a "safe room" for a couple of weeks, I continued to give them the brand they'd gotten at the shelter. But now they're out and freely mingling with the other cats. I just put dishes down that may have all of one brand or portions of both, depending on what was left over from an earlier meal or whether I opened new cans. There's no way to monitor who eats out of what dish, and they're probably all sampling from multiple bowls. I'm trying to use up the brand from the shelter, not buy more, and get everyone on the same diet. With multiple cats, I don't always know who's responsible when I find vomit after a meal.

Tonight I caught one of the new kids in the act, while last night I came across such a huge mess I thought the dog might have been responsible, but to my knowledge he hadn't been in that room (he has been known to sneak in and poke around in the litter boxes as well as steal any dried or leftover canned food in a dish). I think one of the new cats was the culprit but not sure which—although probably the same one who vomited tonight. Between the two brands of food and some experimentation with new flavors in those brands, it's no wonder one or more cats might be having issues, plus as my stained carpet verifies, "scarf and barf" is a frequent cat behavior even when there hasn't been any change in their food.

How can I lessen the odds that what I'm feeding them will cause issues? Just stick with one brand and possibly even one flavor (such as a fish/seafood)? I feel bad for them when they "lose their lunch," but I'm not sure what would help them stabilize. The new kids haven't been to my vet since they were examined by the shelter's vet immediately before my appointment to pick them up.

If the food problems persist I would take one or both of them to the doctor to see if there's a medical issue, but I suspect the discussion would get back to getting them adjusted to new foods, so it would seem like something to work on at home, and I'd appreciate suggestions.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To lessen the issues I would recommend the following:

- feed less at a time to limit leftovers
- toss any further leftovers at the next mealtime
- instead of mixing the food, put a small portion of each next to each other. Give new cats mainly shelter food with tastes of the others

Example time: we split one small can of chicken and rice between 3 bowls in the AM (3 cats). And one teaspoon of something else beside it (Applecat or Wureva or Fancy Feast). Rest goes in a bag in the fridge. They get 1 tsp each of dry food if they bug for further food. Between 7 am and 9 am

Lunch, leftover scraps are tossed. There usually isn't anything left. Add hot water to the fridge food and split amongst the 3. Plus 1 tbsp of dry food each. This is minimal as presumably a pet sitter won't come 4 times per day. Between noon and 1.

Dinner, split a can of chicken and rice. Around 5pm we do training after dinner so they get treats.

Bedtime, two cans one chicken and rice and one Fancy Feast or similar, both split between three bowls. They just finished playing, so we also add their fish oil, glucosamine and Nobel's Miralax to this meal. Around 10pm. Leftovers tossed in the morning, if any, usually no more than a tablespoon. Frequently eaten by 11.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
frequent cat behavior even when there hasn't been any change in their food.
This isn't normal. If it's hairballs try grooming more frequently and use a hairball treat.

it's no wonder one or more cats might be having issues,
Late now, but as you may be aware it would have probably been better to slowly transition the food the new cats were getting with initially small then gradually larger quantities of the house food, and the same approach with the residents food, initially small amounts of the shelter food then gradually larger quantities.

Stop experimenting with their food for a while to let everyone's digestive systems have a chance to settle. Give the barfer plain unseasoned boiled chicken with maybe a little plain unseasoned cooked white rice. This is what veterinarians often prescribe to help upset stomachs.

However, if the vomiting continues you'll want to get that one in to a vet, if only to be sure dehydration doesn't occur.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frequent vomiting can also be a first sign of hyperthyroidism, even if there is a bit of hair in it.

It's my understanding that hyperthyroid bloodwork is not part of many veterinarian's standard cat bloodwork.

If cats are vomiting more than once a month, this is considered uncommon and to contact your vet: Vomiting in Cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it's as you say "scarf and barf", then this is most likely regurgitation vs actual vomiting. For that, you do need to feed less per meal as suggested above, and/or use a slow feed bowl. If you don't want to buy one (or four) try using a clean golf ball or anything that size and put it in the bowl so they have to work around it to get to the food. Also, do wash the dishes with soap and water after every meal. I don't even let mine sit out more than an hour before washing their dishes and putting them away. Mine eat scheduled meals and do not get in between snacks.

I also have a scarf and barfer and use a tilted slow feed bowl for him.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There’s loads of sound advice here. One thing to bare in mind with Cat Food is it’s nutritionally balanced, and whereas some brands mix together well, some of the more budget conscious ones use different types of crude protein, meat by products and nutrition which can wreck havoc on a cat’s sensitive digestive system. Once you get them all on the same food it’ll be easier to narrow down what cat is vomiting. Look out for any diarrhea also

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wore the original post. I took the cat that I know has vomited a couple of times to the vet Friday, and she was prescribed tablets of Cerenia. I gave the first half-tablet Friday night. She unquestionably vomited again on Saturday afternoon and might have been responsible for another big mess that could have come out of either end: I discovered that incident several hours later. The output from whatever it was included some undigested food as well as about 5 or 6 brown pellets, the size of a small grape or marble. They looked like they might have hair in them. I scooped these into a plastic container and kept it refrigerated until I could get to the vet clinic on Monday. The vet thought it might be hairballs. I have a brush, so I will start using it. None of the cats are long-haired, but brushing couldn't hurt. I was also advised to have her x-rayed in case there was an obstruction, since she shouldn't have vomited after getting the first dose of Cerenia. The results were clear, no problems. There hasn't been any more vomiting or outside the box possible diarrhea since Saturday night (it's Monday evening). The advice was to keep an eye on all the cats, in case the one who had the vet visit isn't the only one with issues, and to try a sensitive stomach food. I went online to look at the products but haven't ordered anything because I wasn't sure what to get. The vet had discussed possible sensitivity to fish and seafood flavored food, but a lot of the sensitive stomach foods are fish flavored! Some are made with poultry, or poultry and beef, and some also have vegetables, rice, oats, or some other ingredient. Then there's the prescription food option; I could get Hill's Science Diet food from my vet clinic, although the vet didn't bring it up and said there were several over the counter varieties. I have two other vet appointments this week for different cats (routine visits, no emergencies), so I plan to bring a list of the foods I've researched and ask for recommendations. For those of you who have cats with sensitive stomachs, what do you use, dry and/or canned? The brands I'm looking at are HIll's Science Diet, Purina, and Royal Canin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spoke too soon. Someone vomited on the bed, not long after I fed them the evening meal. It's a variety they've had in the last few days without problems. Maybe the one who had been to the vet and had the x-ray was still under the influence of the sedation medication and her stomach couldn't handle the food. But it could have the other recently adopted cat. If Cerenia is supposed to virtually eliminate the possibility of vomiting, maybe it's the one who hasn't seen the vet yet. Sigh. I'll ask the vet if we should try the drug with the second cat as well. That way, we could narrow it down. Or maybe my cat is just resistant to this medication.