New And First Cat. I’m Lost

Francescagg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over a month ago I went to a restaurant where I saw a beautiful cat that used to go around the place, waiters sprayed her with soap and cleaning supplies so I knew I had to take her out of there. so I spoke with the manager and he told me that I could take her. So I got a kennel and went to the restaurant a week later and after playing with food, she went into the kennel (to get more food) and I closed it. She got really anxious and started to move all over the place. I took her to the vet just after that and she ran out of the kennel the second the vet opened it and started to jump all over the place. After they could take her and check her, she was injected for parasites and they have her an anti fleas solution. They told me she was pregnant and because of her age (she still has baby teeth), the best thing would be to sterilize her right away, so I returned to the vet one week after that (that week she hid all the time behind the toilette and taking her out was kind of a mess, my whole basement which is set like an apartment was fixed for her). After her surgery, I took her back and it’s been 17 days after that and she keeps hiding. Sometimes behind the refrigerator, sometimes behind the toilette and most of the times behind some books in my bookshelf, she is kind of unreachable there. She used to go out sometimes when I came but just if I don’t look at her. She hasn’t done that in over a week. If I’m here, sometimes she doesn’t even come out to eat. But if I go she will come out immediately. I bought catnip and a toy to see if she would be interested, i put it on front of the bookshelf and she won’t come out. Sometimes I get near the bookshelf with fish I know she likes and she does nothing, if I leave it there and I leave, she’ll eat it. I’m afraid that i might have traumatized my cat or that she will become the basement monster that just comes out when no one is looking to eat and to use the litter box. I don’t know that else I can do, I have been reading but I can’t find any case in which the cat won’t have any interaction at all with the human. I really don’t know what to do, some people tell me that I have to pretend that she is not there and others tell me that I should take away her food and offer with my hand so that she has no other option but to eat from my hand but I find that kind of cruel and I don’t really think she will take it, she can be really patient with that. She has never been aggressive or anything with me, once, someone cam down and took her out of her hiding place and she bit her hand. Other than that time, no one has been alowed down here but me, so that she doesn’t stress. She eats very well and uses her litter box. Just when no one is around

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Her behavior isn't unusual. Many shy cats will hide for days, weeks, or sometimes even months after being moved into a completely new environment. It's a good sign that she's eating and using her litter box.

It's important that you don't put too much pressure on her in these early days. Spend time in the room with her, just sitting there and talking (or reading) to her so she can see you're not a threat. You might be able to use an interactive toy or treats to break the ice, but that doesn't work with all cats. Patience is what she needs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend taking her food away, but what about giving her something special, like wet food, when you are there so she sees it comes from you. Like when you get home from work or whatever, just softly talk to her, all the time, just talk out loud, what you are doing or thinking or read a book. She will eventually get used to your voice. Then give her some stinky wet food, let her hear you open the can, place it in the bowl on the floor and walk away and sit down somewhere else. Do this, on a routine, it will help her come out of her shell. She is scared, her whole world has been turned upside down (FOR THE BETTER!) and she needs time and patience.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thank you for rescuing this cat. :catlove:

She may just be scared, though she sounds like she could be part feral, especially since she was found around a restaurant. If she is feral, it will take more time and patience for her to get comfortable in her new home. But it is do-able.

Some suggestions for interacting with feral cats, is blink slowly when you look at them. This is how a cat knows another cat isn't going to attack. Also, don't stand up directly over her, but get down to floor level, that way she won't feel threatened.

I'm going to add links to some TCS article which may be helpful, including a couple on ferals. Good luck. Let us know how things progress.

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Handling Feral Cats
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has been severely traumatized and needs lots of time and TLC. She'll come around, they are not like dogs that crave human approval. I have had tame cats hide under a bed for over a month when new.
She'll come around, just sit quietly in the room and talk softly to her or read, let her get used to your presence.Bring her lots of treats, sh e doesn't trust humans much if they sprayed her, she has to learn trust. Believe me, when you earn her love and trust, it will be very much worth it.
Don't ever corner her or grab her against her will, cats panic and will bite and scratch. Don't let anyone else do it either. She has most likely had minimal human contact so is almost a feral. she'll need kindness and patience.
Go to the top of the page click on forums and go under cat behavior or ferals/strays, you'll learn a lot.
Thank you so much for rescuing her from that awful life. You'll be blessed for your kindness. please keep us posted on how she is doing, you'll find much help here on this site.

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I was so angry reading that the waiters sprayed her with cleaning chemicals! That would have burned and hurt her skin. You're a good person getting her out of there. She has been treated cruelly by humans so I'm not surprised that she's very shy and scared now.

Don't be pushy, don't find her and corner her and try to get her to come out. To her, it might look like you're coming at her to spray her with nasty stuff. I would start slow and just ignore her for now. Spend as much time as you can in her basement ignoring her. She'll probably be your "basement monster" for the next few months.

One day, if she pokes her head out to watch you, it's important to keep calm and still, don't move towards her. Let her come to you. You are on her schedule/timeline, all you have to do is wait. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. Im very glad you have her. It may take quite a while before she learns to trust you. Please do not take her food away. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water, food, and a clean litter box. Spend as much quiet time in the area with her as you can. She will learn to trust that you will not hurt her, but in her own time. do keep us updated!