New adoptee hiding behind kitchen cabinets for a MONTH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm afraid I don't have great news to share, but the good news is that the cat is now safe and OK.

After 6 weeks of hiding in the inaccessible space behind our kitchen cabinets, the cat stopped using the litterbox. Then, she stopped eating. I knew that was a really bad sign, and I was worried sick about the cat. We set up a humane, baited trap in the hopes that she would get hungry enough and come out to eat at night, and when she did we could trap her long enough to cover up access to that hiding space. After several nights of baiting the trap with her favorite, smelliest food, she still wasn't going in the trap and hadn't eaten. After 5 days of the cat not eating, I had my handyman come over and cut a hole in the back of our cabinets so we could get her out. It was noisy, stressful, and INTENSE! She darted out, and the woman who gave us the cat took her back to her home, where hopefully the cat will be happier, more comfortable, and less anxious. Now, for us, is the cleanup! That space was FILLED with cat waste - I feel awful that the cat was living that way for 7 weeks. The cleaning is no easy task, but that's the least of my worries at this point.

This has been incredibly stressful, and I'm truly heartbroken that it didn't work out for me and my kid and that this poor cat was so unhappy in our home. There are TONS of additional strategies that we tried, in addition to the list in my original post. We talked to all sorts of people with expertise in helping former ferals be more comfortable and adjust to living w/ a family. I do feel that we exhausted every possible option and tried as many things as we could. But I still feel awful and guilty about the whole thing. (The woman who gave us the cat was REALLY mad at me that we cut the hole and scared the cat with the noise of the saw.) I'm just trying to send positive, healing prayers out to that cat, and her original owner, and I hope the cat will be OK and happier where she is now!

Thank you for checking in and for your support.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry the woman who gave her to you made you feel bad. I think you did the right thing. Some matches are just wrong. With kitty not eating you absolutely had to get her out before her health was affected. Hopefully a more tolerable situation will be found for her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I'm glad the cat is safe. So sorry about the mess you're left to clean up. 🤗 Maybe when that's finished, and your place is totally cat proofed, with zero tiny hiding places, you can look into adopting another kitty. :catlove:

BTW, I agree with Hellenww Hellenww in that you did the right thing. Otherwise you would likely have eventually still had to cut through the cabinets, but it might not have been to rescue the cat, but to remove its body. At least this way, he may have been scared for a bit, but he's alive.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a horrible situation this was for all. I absolutely think you did what had to be done for this kitty. I agree if much more time had passed this would not have been a rescue. Now that kitty is safe she has a chance. The right cat is out there for you and you will know it when you meet. I’m sending all good thoughts your way I know you tried so very hard for a different outcome. You and your daughter need time to recover from such a prolonged stressful situation Thank You so much for letting us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because folks were so kind in giving me advice about our previous cat (who hid in an inaccessible space and only came out when no humans were around for 7 weeks and eventually stopped using the litter box and eating, and we had to cut a hole in the back of our cabinets to get her out...) I wanted to provide an update: we got another cat, and it's working out GREAT!

We got her from a rescue place near our home - we weren't going to even get a cat that day, just start looking, but my daughter fell in love with this sweet, mellow 3 year old tux, and you know how that goes! She adjusted beautifully to our home. We put her in the bathroom w/ food and litter for the first day, but after less than 24 hours, she was done with that, and she wanted to come out and hang with us! She purrs all the time, loves to be scratched and pet, loves to sit on the couch with us. On the third night, she was jumping on my bed during the night to sleep w/ me! She's still recovering from being spayed (e-collar for a few more days), and she also has conjunctivitis, which we are treating (I have to put medicine in her eyeballs three times a day - eek!), but that all seems minor compared to our last go round.

Thanks to all of you for your positive thoughts. I think it helped lead us to our sweet new member of our household! It's a great match.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's such great news! I'm so happy for you and your family.