New adoptee hiding behind kitchen cabinets for a MONTH

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a cat from a friend of a friend. The cat, Mitzi, was a neighborhood stray - an older woman in the neighborhood was taking care of her. Then that older woman stopped and then our friend took her in, taught her to use the litter box, etc... Mitzi would sit in our friend's lap while she was watching TV and knead on her stomach. She seemed to be adjusting to domestic life.

When Mitzi arrived in our home (a small two bedroom apartment, just me and my teen daughter, no other animals), she ran behind the entertainment center and stayed there all day and night. That is the last time we saw her. On that first night, she squeezed into a 4 inch gap beneath our lower kitchen cabinets, and she is hiding behind those cabinets. It's an L shaped space, so even if I shine a light in there to look for her, I can't see her. She's on the other side of the L.

We are four weeks in, and we still have never seen the cat, never been in the same room with the cat, never touched the cat. The cat ONLY comes out when no one is home, or in the middle of the night. About 2 weeks ago, she peed or pooped in her hiding space, which is completely inaccessible to me. It smelled AWFUL. it seems to have been only a one-time thing... so far. But I can't get into the space to clean it. I can't see her. I don't know if she's hurt or sick. She still is eating and drinking and using the litter box. But, I go to bed every night wondering if she's sick, injured, or dead. This poor cat is miserable or terrified or both - she spends 20+ hours per day in a dark, dirty, cramped space. I am miserable and stressed out, which I know isn't helping the situation.

Last night I slept on the couch so I could try to get up and block off the hole to her hiding space while she was eating (she typically eats in the middle of the night). She heard me and BOLTED across the apartment, into the space. There's no way I'll be fast enough to catch her. She hasn't pooped in the litter box in 4 days.

Here's a list of everything I've done to try to lure her out of this unsafe, inaccessible hiding space, so she can find another safer space to hide and hopefully acclimate:

* Used Feliway Spray and Feliway diffuser
* Put Rescue Remedy drops in her water
* Built alternate hiding spots (a box with holes cut out and treats inside, a small table with a dark cloth draped over it and treats inside, a "cat cave" that I bought on Chewy.com with treats inside)
* Leave treats just outside the hole: cat treats, tuna, sardines
* Put catnip around the apartment - she didn't even touch it
* Moved her food and water from directly across from her hiding space to the spot in the apartment that is furthest away from the hiding space; I thought if she was eating there I might have time to go over and quickly block the hole, but that hasn't worked. She's too fast.
* Left out some old tshirts of my daughter's and mine, near where she's hiding and where she used to eat
* Sit on the kitchen floor for a few minutes throughout the day and talk to her, read to her, etc.
* Put on classical music when no one is home
* I stopped leaving food out for her all the time - now, there's only food out when people are home.
* Stopped leaving the full amount food out for her in the middle of the night, and stopped leaving her (preferred) wet food out at night. There are a few pieces of dry food in her usual food bowl spot (so she'll still associate that spot with food) and inside the cat cave I bought her (which I hoped would become a good alternative hiding space for her). Wet food is only out during the day, and only when people are home.
* I made a flap to put over the hole. When she pushes the flap, she touches cardboard, but when she lifts the flap to go back inside the hole/hiding spot, she would have to touch scrunchy aluminum foil (which I know cats don't like). It hasn't deterred her. The first time I did this, she just ripped off the whole flap! And the second time, she went in and out. So I've removed the flap.
* Had my handyman come over to see if we could just remove the wood beneath our kitchen cabinets (it's called a "toe kick" - it's like baseboards) so I could get to her or at least see her. It won't work. The only way to get to her would be to remove our kitchen countertops and rip out the kitchen cabinets. A $10,000 kitchen renovation is not in the cards!
* Blew air from the lowest, coolest setting of a hair dryer into the hole. I read that cats don't like this. She didn't budge.
* I just bought a bunch of tiny "jingle bells." I'm thinking I'm going to hang some in front of the hole, so when she exits I'll hear her - she'll have to brush against them. So, even if it's 4 a.m., I can try again to dash into the kitchen (on the other side of the apartment) to quickly block the hole. I'm willing to sacrifice my own sleep to get this done!

Someone has suggested putting a rag with a smell cats don't like, such as vinegar or peppermint, in the hole, to drive her out. I'm concerned that that would just drive her further in.

I know she's scared. I know she needs to hide, and I'm fine with that. I just want to get her out of this particular hiding spot. I can't see her. I can't tell if she's hurt or sick. I can't clean the spot of she pees or poops in there. I go to bed every night wondering if she's still alive. This is a miserable situation. HELP!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe get clothes from your friends house for her when you put the wet food out? Or play the sound of a purring cat? Or meowing kittens (all my cats were quick to investigate)...

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems you have tried every way to coax her out.I think it’s urgent to get her out as you obviously do. Call around to other handy men and explain the situation. It just seems like there has to be a way to cut a opening to allow access. Don’t accept one opinion Calling a local rescue for advice could lead to a referral of someone to help with the cabinet Please update us.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, $10,000 dollars is not a realistic quote for someone who would remove a cabinet to retrieve a stuck cat! My husband is a cabinet maker of 41 years and he said that price is completely out of line for what is necessary to save your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My handyman is right - pulling out the toe kicks won't give us access to the hiding spot. We would have to remove the countertops, possibly replace them, and then pull out at least two cabinets. If these old cabinets did not survive the removal, I'd have to replace them, which would mean replacing all of them so they'd match. All that said - I don't actually have a quote for doing this work! My point is that it would be a major, expensive project.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you know she is eating and using a litter box I would let her hide. The litter box should show obvious signs of use in pee clumps and poop. You don’t want her malnourished or dehydrated so I would leave her wet food and water out when she can sneak out to get it rather than forcing her out during the day. And no noisemakers, shining lights at her or anything that can startle her when she attempts to come out.

If she is not eating or using her box then yes, you may have to figure out how to force her out but otherwise let her be. She obviously can get in and out of her hiding space and eventually she will find another more comfortable one. My cat also hid for weeks but eventually got more comfortable and I would start seeing her rush by from one hiding spot to another. It was additional weeks before she would actually stay in a room if I was present so long as I totally ignored her

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some shelters will let folks borrow a trap. I'd try the ASPCA as well; they might help. Or animal control, if your town has one. Trap the cat, block the hole. Have a plan for how & where to socialize the cat before you do so though!

In a recent thread, someone posted about modifying a cheap trap meant for other animals to make it safe and effective for cats, but I forget the details. Hopefully you can just borrow one.

If it was just the once hopefully you'll be fine, but if the cat is regularly going to the bathroom back there, your in big trouble -- toxic mold, rats, who knows? Cat could be chewing insulation or wires back there as well. So I don't see how you can wait. Find a way to get the trap.

Last edited:

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for checking in! And, NOPE! She still is hiding back there. Still eating, drinking, and using the litter box. Just not doing any of those things when people are around. The folks I've talked to with expertise in former strays/ferals (e.g. people at the Humane Society and animal rescue organizations) are telling me that as long as she's doing that, I should just wait it out. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait! I'm OK with her hiding, just not in that inaccessible space. Keep us in your prayers, and send peaceful thoughts to our kitty! THANKS!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Just came across this thread. You may win the prize for the longest/most frustrating case of a new cat hiding. Not a contest you want to win though, right. :alright:

It sounds like you've tried all the common suggestions, but maybe there might be something in one of these TCS articles that might be helpful:

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Have you by any chance tried playing cat sounds on your phone? Meowing, growling, hissing, howling. Any cat sound that might pique her interest, or curiosity. Playing kitten crying sounds will sometimes cause a feral mother cat to lead rescuers to her kittens, so it you can, it can't hurt to try playing cat sounds for your new girl.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

brownljb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny you should ask! I actually played the sound of cats purring for a few minutes the other day. It didn't work. I didn't know if playing the sound of kittens meowing would pique her interest, or cause her to pee/spray in that hiding spot... a hiding spot that I can't access in order to clean! So I was reluctant to try it. But maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your concern and for sharing the articles!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some catnip in her food, maybe loosen her inhibitions a little and get her to wander more.

Personally, I'd work on the trap angle notwithstanding the ASPCA telling you to wait. Five weeks is a long time, and you cant effectively bond with her in there. In there, she can't see anything, and any old sound probably scares the heck out of her reinforcing this whole thing. Waiting is one thing, but five weeks is five weeks...who knows if or when this will resolve on its own. Sorry to be negative, but just trying to keep it real. No one tactic works with every cat, and waiting just doesn't seem to be working. I don't really see the downside -- the traps are very safe these days, I believe. The only trick is getting one.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don’t forget that she IS progressing. Using the litterbox, eating and drinking is a big deal for a terrified cat. I am of the wait it out camp because I have been through it. Willow spent a month, maybe more under the bed and then moved up inside the sofa for another month or so.

The thing about trapping her is that she will be so terrified that you will be back to square one and may spend several more months trying to regain any trust she may have. As far as cleaning her hiding space, whether she comes out tomorrow or a couple months from now you are still going to have to figure out a way to get in there to clean it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know if playing the sound of kittens meowing would pique her interest, or cause her to pee/spray in that hiding spot... a hiding spot that I can't access in order to clean!
Good point. :sigh:

I see you've tried all the typical stinky foods like tuna and sardines, but have you tried KFC? I've read that feral cats love KFC, so maybe Mitzi might be enticed by it too.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so happy she is coming out to eat drink and use the litter box. She is learning that her needs are being met out there Every cat is different and every situation is full of trial and error. What is for sure is that we are all here to support you and offer advice that we hope will be helpful. I check daily hoping for good news or just updates. Maybe she will be your Christmas miracle !!!!!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm on the side of getting a trap. Put aside impatience and potential for her peeing and pooping behind the counter. Neither are fun. Cats are so good at hiding and putting up with pain/health problem. Even though she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box you're not able to see if she's ok.

In there, she can't see anything, and any old sound probably scares the heck out of her reinforcing this whole thing. Waiting is one thing, but five weeks is five weeks...who knows if or when this will resolve on its own.
If she could see you from a hiding place then she'd see your not dangerous. Right now she has no idea what you are. You haven't built a bond yet so the trap won't break a bond.