New Adopted Cat

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted an adult cat 2 weekends ago. I have grown up with cats my entire life, so I'm pretty familiar with having a cat.

This cat was pretty chill the first 2 weeks but now she has gotten very energetic and racing around the house and being kind of obnoxious. She is a very sweet cat, but she has this side that comes out that is not so good and it just showed up the last few days.

Any suggestions?

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1) You have a new cat and you didn't post pics?! Objection!

2) Need more details. How old is she? What's her enrichment like? Do you play with her, take her outside? Are there other animals in the house or immediately outside the house that could be causing stress? What time of day does she show this behavior? How did you introduce her to the household?

She might have been quiet for the first few weeks because she was shy/scared in her new environment. Honestly, this sounds like pretty normal behavior to me. I have one who periodically runs around the house yowling. She's just having fun. It's usally a sign that we should play with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1) You have a new cat and you didn't post pics?! Objection!

2) Need more details. How old is she? What's her enrichment like? Do you play with her, take her outside? Are there other animals in the house or immediately outside the house that could be causing stress? What time of day does she show this behavior? How did you introduce her to the household?

She might have been quiet for the first few weeks because she was shy/scared in her new environment. Honestly, this sounds like pretty normal behavior to me. I have one who periodically runs around the house yowling. She's just having fun. It's usally a sign that we should play with her.

Attachments

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a good little girl, but these past couple days she has been a bit anxious. Like when I pet her, she rolls one and bits me then runs off.

I thought she was mad, then I walk into the kitchen and she is rubbing up against my leg and wanting attention.

I know cats are different with their communications but I'm feeling at a lost about how to respond to my cat.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat. Many years ago, I had a cat that looked just like her.

Cats communicate with their behavior. If she bites when you pet her, don't pet her that way. Lots of people on the Cat Site say their cats like belly rubs, but neither of mine will tolerate it. Lily grabs my hand and gently gnaws on my knuckle. Mingo reacts like a wildcat.

Most cats like to be scritched around their heads on the neck and under their chins. When she rubs your leg, that's your cue to praise her. She's saying she loves you, or in the kitchen, it may be cupboard love. Feed me! Feed me! I know you've got food hidden in that cupboard!

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat. Many years ago, I had a cat that looked just like her.

Cats communicate with their behavior. If she bites when you pet her, don't pet her that way. Lots of people on the Cat Site say their cats like belly rubs, but neither of mine will tolerate it. Lily grabs my hand and gently gnaws on my knuckle. Mingo reacts like a wildcat.

Most cats like to be scritched around their heads on the neck and under their chins. When she rubs your leg, that's your cue to praise her. She's saying she loves you, or in the kitchen, it may be cupboard love. Feed me! Feed me! I know you've got food hidden in that cupboard!

Thank you!

I have been spoiling her a bit with lots of wet food and treats.

I think part of her behavior is that she is settling into our home here. She was a stray with a litter of kittens picked up by the local animal shelter. I adopted her after she was taken in.

She is a very good little girl, but she has been acting out a bit the last few days. I've been giving her some more space but am trying to understand how to best understand my cat.

Thank you

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All young cats and many go completely crazy for a certain portion of the day. Your girl was reserved at first because she was in a new place and now she is feeling good and showing her wild side. This isn’t misbehavior as much as it is just running off some energy. The biting sounds like play behavior. When she bites you and runs she may be asking you to chase her. As long as she isn’t biting really hard, run after her once and see what she does. You can also discourage the biting by anticipating it, telling her no and moving away from her. You can also have some bigger kicker type toys ready to give her so you can bite and wrestle with them instead of you.

You can also calm her down some by getting her to play hard for at least fifteen minutes with a wand type toy or a laser. If she is an especially active cat, which I am thinking she is, teach her how to fetch toys by throwing her favorites to her. Fetch can wear off a huge amount of energy and once she learns the game she will bring a toy to you when she wants to play.

Lastly, make sure she has plenty of ways to occupy herself. Lots of different toys she can bat and chase, a cat tree to climb, and windows to look out of. She really sounds like a wonderful, high spirited cat that will be great fun to have around.

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For new cat owners I always suggest buying the book Think like a cat by pam johnson bennet it answers all your questions andh elps you to understand more about cats.

I do suggest more wand time play and only pet the back of the head. Some cats don't like full body pets or hard pets either. Petting induced aggression is common. Very common. Don't pet her if her tail is swishing, ears to the side, dilated eyes that's all the NO TOUCHY signs lol.

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All young cats and many go completely crazy for a certain portion of the day. Your girl was reserved at first because she was in a new place and now she is feeling good and showing her wild side. This isn’t misbehavior as much as it is just running off some energy. The biting sounds like play behavior. When she bites you and runs she may be asking you to chase her. As long as she isn’t biting really hard, run after her once and see what she does. You can also discourage the biting by anticipating it, telling her no and moving away from her. You can also have some bigger kicker type toys ready to give her so you can bite and wrestle with them instead of you.

You can also calm her down some by getting her to play hard for at least fifteen minutes with a wand type toy or a laser. If she is an especially active cat, which I am thinking she is, teach her how to fetch toys by throwing her favorites to her. Fetch can wear off a huge amount of energy and once she learns the game she will bring a toy to you when she wants to play.

Lastly, make sure she has plenty of ways to occupy herself. Lots of different toys she can bat and chase, a cat tree to climb, and windows to look out of. She really sounds like a wonderful, high spirited cat that will be great fun to have around.

Thanks for the great explanation. Yes, she is quite the little character. Very energetic at times, but also pretty chill at times.

She's definitely getting more playful now that she's settled in a bit and feeling more at home!

tortiemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow she is a beautiful Tortie ! We adopted our Tortie 5 months ago and only now is she beginning to not display as much aggression as in the last months , we see changes every week in behaviours all for the good as she learns to trust .She is 3, and had previous stressful experiences . We know now what her triggers are and what to watch for , I try to give her serious playtime at least twice per day . I do not get as upset now if she does lash out but I do tell her ' No' .Had a bite or scratch nearly every day ,but now so much better ! Best of luck with your lovely Tortie !!
Smudge of course (June 2020) (26).JPG

tortiemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oops sorry :confused: I meant to post one photo !!! and couldn't figure out how to remove the other 2 !!!!!

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow she is a beautiful Tortie ! We adopted our Tortie 5 months ago and only now is she beginning to not display as much aggression as in the last months , we see changes every week in behaviours all for the good as she learns to trust .She is 3, and had previous stressful experiences . We know now what her triggers are and what to watch for , I try to give her serious playtime at least twice per day . I do not get as upset now if she does lash out but I do tell her ' No' .Had a bite or scratch nearly every day ,but now so much better ! Best of luck with your lovely Tortie !! View attachment 356757View attachment 356757View attachment 356757
Thank you so much for sharing. My kitty is very energetic, but she is also very affectionate. She is very much about our schedules. I have learned that if I stick to a schedule and routine with her, she is much more happy.

She pissed me off a bit by clawing my leather couch when she was in one of her more excited moods. I am working on trimming her claws and anticipating when she is excited so I can divert the energy to something that isn't destructive.

I've never had a Tortie cat and don't know anything about them. I can say that these cats are very loving cats and very energetic cats.

I'm thankful I adopted my Tori (her name). She is a very good kitty.