New Adopted Cat Escaped! How Do I Find Him?

Jinny101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I just adopted a gorgeous ginger cat a day ago and he is an indoor cat. Today I left one of the window open with a small crack and he managed to get on my roof. I saw him on the roof and even heard him meow but as I got to the roof to find him he wasn’t there. I haven’t heard from him since and it’s only been a few hours. He’s quite a scady cat so I don’t think he would’ve jumped off the roof? What should I do to get him back? I’ve left some food on the rooftop and called out to him but he’s only new although he’s very affectionate and we spent the whole last day yesterday together. Any suggestions would be great. My old cat just died and I really don’t want to loose another >.<

Bella's Mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats rarely go far...they're too scared. Put out his dirty litterbox. Strew some dirty litter around your property. Put a box out with a dirty article of clothing and/or something that smells like the cat. Put out some stinky wet food & some dry food. Put a baby monitor beside the dry food. He'll probably come home at night & you want to hear him.

Also, go outside and shake a treat bag.

Have all neighbors check garages, sheds and under porches. Then check them again. He could be hiding 3 feet from you, but not come because he's too afraid. If there have been sightings of him in another area, ask those neighbors is you can put a trap there. You can buy humane traps at Home Depot, etc. Maybe your borough has one you can borrow. If you use a trap, cover it with a sheet, but do NOT set it right away. Put stinky food inside & let the cat become comfortable going in and out. Then after a few days, set the trap.

You may catch a raccoon or other creature, so be prepared for that. Just open the trap and release. Chances are VERY good that your cat it close by and hiding. DO NOT GIVE UP! This advice has been given to people who find their cats, or the cats make it home, several weeks after going missing.

GOOD LUCK!
I'd like to add that to lure a lost cat back home sardines work best. And not just any old article of your clothing. Dirty socks or pillow cases are best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jinny101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Indoor cats rarely go far...they're too scared. Put out his dirty litterbox. Strew some dirty litter around your property. Put a box out with a dirty article of clothing and/or something that smells like the cat. Put out some stinky wet food & some dry food. Put a baby monitor beside the dry food. He'll probably come home at night & you want to hear him.

Also, go outside and shake a treat bag.

Have all neighbors check garages, sheds and under porches. Then check them again. He could be hiding 3 feet from you, but not come because he's too afraid. If there have been sightings of him in another area, ask those neighbors is you can put a trap there. You can buy humane traps at Home Depot, etc. Maybe your borough has one you can borrow. If you use a trap, cover it with a sheet, but do NOT set it right away. Put stinky food inside & let the cat become comfortable going in and out. Then after a few days, set the trap.

You may catch a raccoon or other creature, so be prepared for that. Just open the trap and release. Chances are VERY good that your cat it close by and hiding. DO NOT GIVE UP! This advice has been given to people who find their cats, or the cats make it home, several weeks after going missing.

GOOD LUCK!
I'd like to add that to lure a lost cat back home sardines work best. And not just any old article of your clothing. Dirty socks or pillow cases are best.
I found him! He was still on our roof so I had to scale a fence and lure him with treats to get him down. Definitely never leaving that window open ever again!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! He is probably going to be stressed by his big adventure and may take days to settle down. Just follow his lead regarding how much or how little attention he wants.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! I like reading a post about a lost cat and by the time I scroll he's found!

We learned the hard war about windows and kitties with our new cat Olive as well - she squirmed out a window slat so we made sure not to leave windows without screens open. Well, two popped out screens later and not we don't open the windows lol! So easy to do, and so glad your new kitty is safe!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think windows are the bane of an indoor-cat-owner's existence! Sometimes you even have to reinforce the window screens with extra wood framing
>> e.g. the window screens like these

We had a cat years ago that ran smack into one of those screens during a Zoomie Episode and crashed right through to the outside! Luckily, we lived on the first floor then.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think window's are the bane of an indoor-cat-owner's existence! Sometimes you even have to reinforce the window screens with extra wood framing
>> e.g. the window screens like these

We had a cat years ago that ran smack into one of those screens during a Zoomie Episode and crashed right through to the outside! Luckily, we lived on the first floor then.
Yeah, we bought a few of those when we were on a tenth floor high-rise apartment and the windows had a hinge in the top and swung outward. We were taking no chances.