New Addition Not Eating Or Using Litter Box...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to not eat and not use the litter box in a new environment?

I've put Harvey in my room. Fed him yesterday and showed him the little box. He hasn't used it and hasn't touched his food. But he still allows me to pet him and he purrs and turns over for belly rubs. Should I be worried?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try sitting with him and finger feeding him, since he's allowing pets and belly rubs he might go for this approach and it might help remind him :)...

The litter box situation hopefully will resolve itself soon - you're sure he's not eliminating somewhere else?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has he been with you?

I know Lelia hid and took some time, but I think she eventually did eat and use the litterbox when I was sleeping. But it's been almost three years so it's hard to remember exactly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been about 16 hours now I think? He was dropped off at 6:something yesterday.

I managed to get him to nibble on a tiny bit of food and he did pee but it seems like he'll only do it when I'm comforting him. When no one is around, he hides. He also tenses up and freezes when he hears footsteps. He'll only come out when I'm with him.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has a particular hiding spot, I'd put the food near it so he doesn't have to move too far
At least for now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed everyone together. He didn't touch his food and was more interested in a belly rub. Litter box looks like it might have been used but I don't see any poop. He's drinking water though. I tried him with some catnip but he isn't interested.

Also, I thought a wand toy would get him going but he doesn't care for that either. I have some school work to finish up today (which requires me to be on the computer) so maybe I'll sit with him on the laptop.