New addition…. Can a 9 month old male move in with a 11 year old male and 13 year old female? Two boys and a girl?

AlpineForesterAZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

New member here and fellow cat lover with a problem….

In all my 58 years of having cats in my life (I have pretty much lived with cats ever since I was a toddler), I have never been in this situation. The situation being having TWO MALE cats (+ one female) under one roof….

Me and my partner have been in our 2,100 square foot, two story house for 7 years now. At one point we had 4 cats and a German Shorthaired Pointer. Up until this recent ”acquisition”, the herd had naturally thinned itself down (passed away over a few years sadly) to two cats: 11 year old Boycat, and 13 year old Littlebit. I have to say, it has been kind of nice having only 2 cats and no other pets over the past few years - even though I always in my heart want more cats (and dogs for that matter)….

So about three weeks ago our outdoor security cameras start to occasionally pickup this young black cat. Now a little more background to where we live: we reside in a desert community east of Phoenix. Our neighborhood is NOT the type of neighborhood that favors outdoor domestic cats. Creatures like Coyotes, Bobcats, Owls, Foxes, etc. are in high numbers where we live. Most of the neighborhood folks consist of responsible people who keep their cats indoors. So when we see this young black cat hanging around the house, we naturally are concerned about predators. The young black cat, about 9 to 10 months old starts to hang out in the back yard, on the patio. We naturally do what cat lovers do and start to feed it, pet it, talk to it, etc…. After about five days of this we realize that this cat is not going to leave. It’s pretty muck taken up residency on the back patio. Sooooo…. We end up taking the cat to a spay/neuter clinic, had him neutered, checked for leukemia, microchip, etc. and lo and behold we are now own three cats! I might add that this cat is the most loving, affectionate, sweetest cat you could ever want to meet. It just loves to jump up in your lap, fall asleep and purr…. Even the vet techs told us how sweet this cat is.

So…. You all know where this is going…. How do we successfully integrate this cat into our household to live in harmony with our 11 year old Boycat and 13 year old Littlebit? So far, we are keeping the cats separated as best we can. The new guy (I think we are going to call him LINCOLN) sleeps in the downstairs bathroom at night. We set up his own litter box that we keep in the bathtub. We will let him roam the rest of the house ONLY if Boycat and Littlebit are kept away in separate bedroom areas with doors closed. We have been using a couple of crates, and will keep Lincoln in our dining area in the cage, while the other two cats have free range. We kind of rotate as to who gets to roam around freely in the house.

Right now I am really concerned about Boycat, as he has started to seam a little sad and he stays upstairs in the master bedroom hiding in the closet more.

At one point the two boys seamed fairly calm together, and we let both have free range in the living room. That lasted about five minutes and the started growling, hissing, etc, started and the next thing you know we were having a fight amongst the two boys. It only lasted about 15 seconds, and they both backed off. Boycat ran off upstairs and I think he felt defeated.

Any tips or comments would be appreciated. I am really hoping we can work things out and have all three cats live together peacefully.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

I feel sorry for Boycat, as it must be hard on him to feel defeated by someone who is basically still a kitten. But I want to say bless you for taking this kitten in, you are wonderful to do so. As you probably already know, it's going to take a bit of time for the testosterone to get out of Lincoln's system and even longer for the kitten in him to settle down. I would continue with the separation/ slow introductions and maybe try some Feliway plug ins.

And as much extra attention as you can spare couldn't hurt Boycat, to show him he still runs the house. It's nice that you do have a large house, since it allows everybody their own space. Elsie likes her away from Bob time, so she will spend half a day in her room. (That does really bother me and I am probably not the best person to give advice.) Elsie is definitely in charge here, but she will dismiss me in a heartbeat and walk off in a huff. She actually makes a little chuffing noise...at me! (We adopted Bob when he was five months old and he wanted feline friends so much that he wouldn't give up until the girls had accepted him.)

I wish you the best of luck and believe everything will work out for the best with a little time. You've got two friendly cats who just don't know what to make of this new stranger. Please stay with us and keep us updated on how it goes. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AlpineForesterAZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply and encouragement. Yes, we have been giving Boycat EXTRA attention - we do feel so sorry for him, but at the same time, we do feel that we think this could work out and that they could all be friends, or at least live together in peace with one another. Prior to the new addition, Boycat was usually the center of attention and he would seek it out - with Littlebit being the one to be a little more reclusive and hide out in the bedrooms - but at the same time coming out enough and socializing often enough for us to consider her a happy / satisfied cat - if that makes sense. It‘s seams to us that Littlebit is not so much worried or concerned about Lincoln, it’s more so of a concern with the relationship between Boycat and Lincoln. We kinda feel if we can get the two boys to live together in peace, all will be OK. So I mentioned that we had a German Shorthaired Pointer (Maggie) - Maggie passed away a couple of years ago. Boycat absolutely adored Maggie. They got along so well. I bring this up to bring back up the fact that Boycat was very much capable of living with other animals in the house (5 in total) - and not to mention, our prior home, was only 1145 square feet. So hopefully Boycat and Littlebit will eventually be able to live together in harmony with the addition of Lincoln.

thanks again for your reply and encouragement!