New, Accidental, Cat Owner Here!

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

So last month I came back from vacation to discover that my neighbours had moved out and left their cat to fend for itself. He was living off whatever trash he could find and was sitting outside the door of the abandoned flat every night and was looking pretty skinny. I immediately went out and bought a ton of cat food and started feeding him. He was pretty wary of me, so first I fed him outside and every day I slowly moved the food closer to my door until he ate inside. After 14 days or so, he decided to move in with me and he's just the most awesome little cat. Took him to the vet this week to have him neutered, vaccinated, and registered (my neighbour had done none of this), so now he is also officially mine! Also the vet says that he's just a big kitten from last year, so hopefully I am now set for pets well into my 40's :D (I am 31)

To round things off, here's a photo of Gandalf:

Gandalf .jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been seriously toying with the idea of getting a cat before Gandalf showed up, so in a way, the timing was perfect haha. It's been a joy to have him. I've struggled with depression for a couple of years and taking in Gandalf helped way more than any amount of medication and therapy :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3290.GIF
RequestKen and Gandalf, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3368.GIF

Glad that you too Gandalf in and had him vaccinated and neutered :clap: He read your mind that you wanted a cat and he stayed behind so that you could take him in.

He's a handsome looking cat and feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them in the respective forum pages and also do check out the many informative articles in the Articles section and do post more photos of Gandalf!

See ya around :wink:

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey guy, i've be thru that depression stuff so i know exactly what it's like and my first thought was with a cat, there's always something to do, and it helps depression if your busy doing things, and i'm a lot like u, never thought about being a cat person but the way it's turned out for me long story short, i now have 5 rescues, just got 2 orphaned kittens and just the other day i got a new un-wantable drop-off kitten, Good Luck and best of luck, u got a good looking cat there...

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks! I find having him very therapeutic. Used to have trouble getting up, now I get up at 6am sharp to feed the cat! It's also great having someone who's always happy to see you when you come home. He warms the cockles of my cold dead heart ;-)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the welcome everyone! Yeah he's a cutie. He's even taken to grooming my beard when I sleep hahaha
:wave3:Wow that's fantastic! :jawdrop: From what I've picked up here on TCS, grooming is an exceptional showing of love and acceptance.:itslove: You are a wonderful person for allowing this beautiful little guy to adopt you.:lol: The story of how you two got together is just like ours with Gypsy except that she was a neighborhood stray so we don't know anything of her past history and the vet guessed that she was 1 or 2 back in Nov 2016. Make sure to create albums on your home page and post lots of photos. Looking forward to seeing you around the site.:wave2: :catrub:

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I hate to say that I rescued him. It feels more like he rescued me and I just got a free cat! He really is heaven sent and I can't imagine living without him now. He's the most awesome little cat. He loves me to bits and he's just the sweetest thing. Mild mannered, playful, calm and quiet. And he has the most fantastic raspy Tom Waits like meow when I feed him wet food haha.

Here's a funny little story for all of you. I attended my neighbourhood summer party tonight and I learnt from a neighbour and owner of a female cat that Gandalf managed to become a father before I had him neutered. This happened while he was with his previous owner so I abandon all responsibility ;) The owner of the mother is awesome though and has already found new homes for all the kittens. A lot of them go to people on my block, so Gandalf and I will see them around. The mother is also getting spayed next week, so this will be her last litter :) Remember to spay and neuter! :D

Here's a photo of Gandalf's family. He's a deadbeat dad, so he hasn't seen them
kittens.jpeg

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I hate to say that I rescued him. It feels more like he rescued me and I just got a free cat! He really is heaven sent and I can't imagine living without him now. He's the most awesome little cat. He loves me to bits and he's just the sweetest thing. Mild mannered, playful, calm and quiet. And he has the most fantastic raspy Tom Waits like meow when I feed him wet food haha.

Here's a funny little story for all of you. I attended my neighbourhood summer party tonight and I learnt from a neighbour and owner of a female cat that Gandalf managed to become a father before I had him neutered. This happened while he was with his previous owner so I abandon all responsibility ;) The owner of the mother is awesome though and has already found new homes for all the kittens. A lot of them go to people on my block, so Gandalf and I will see them around. The mother is also getting spayed next week, so this will be her last litter :) Remember to spay and neuter! :D
Here's a photo of Gandalf's family. He's a deadbeat dad, so he hasn't seen them View attachment 193548
:wave3:Such a wonderful story.:hearthrob::redheartpump: Thanks heavens he didn't stay as fierce as he appears in the first photo.:lol: We always say Gypsy rescued us more than we rescued her :itslove: :winkcat: Are you letting him outside solo? She was inside/outside at first until she came home limping one day in early 2017. She hasn't been outside without one or both of us and her in her harness or jacket since.Please post more pics of Gandalf the Grey for us here on this thread, his family is gorgeous and it will be so cool watching the ones staying close grow up thru pictures.Here is our girl in her walking jacket.
jacket.jpg

Last edited:

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah he's allowed to go outside on his own. I live in a large, car free cul-de-sac with lots of trees and bushes, etc, so I am not too worried about him. Love the colors on your cat by the way!

Kenneth Øster (@kennethoester) • Instagram photos and videos here's my Instagram if anyone is interested. It kind of chronicles the life and times of my cat. I may occasionally post something else, but I promise it is mostly cat spam ;-)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
yeah he's allowed to go outside on his own. I live in a large, car free cul-de-sac with lots of trees and bushes, etc, so I am not too worried about him. Love the colors on your cat by the way!

Kenneth Øster (@kennethoester) • Instagram photos and videos here's my Instagram if anyone is interested. It kind of chronicles the life and times of my cat. I may occasionally post something else, but I promise it is mostly cat spam ;-)
Thank you. Yep, she is a beauty, it almost looks like her in Gandalfs first photo on this thread except his back is more stripey.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

:wave3:Some really great videos & photos on your Instagram :camera::wow: