Never

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will never have the canned cat food for Raven - 16 yrs, Tinker - 6 yrs, Shetland and Orkney - 3yrs, on any subscription to be delivered automatically. Can you guess why????????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's Catch 22 all over again! :flail:You have to laugh to stay sane.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Willowy, LOVE that picture!!!

Valentine, I know Chewy's does that (What a wonderful thing for the company to do), but I wonder how many times they will do? HAHAHAHA. I have come to realize that I just put the food aside and wait a while. I can bring it out later. Or I ahve a neighbor who is feeding feral cats who LOVE my cats....never met them but my cats make a lot of food donations to them... HAHAHA

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The instinct to periodically switch their favorite food makes sense. If one type of prey becomes scarce in the wild, cats are "programmed" to fall back on another.

Mowgli gets dry food as a noontime snack. Since the types he can eat don't come in very small bags, I break down a bag and vacuum-pack small portions. He's good about canned food as long as he gets a different meat every day of the week. Our last cat wouldn't eat the same canned food for more than two meals a week and would suddenly stop touching a certain kind, so that had to be taken out of the rotation for about three months.

There's more cat food in our pantry than there is people food - for just one cat.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
JCat, I love your montra "Mowgli's Can Opener...... Great description. You with one cat are going through what I go through with four. Why do I have four? I have NO idea!!! Actually, I had two, the the younger one, Tinker was really bugging the eldest, Raven to play. They were getting into tussles. SO, get a playmate, Right? I walked into our nokill shelter and there they were, brother and sister, half Siamese (male is a snowshoe and female is a ragdoll) and I could not leave without them. Okay, What this means is that I will have at least two probably three in the house for many years to come.

Tinker is the pickiest of all of them. I think (I should say, I KNOW) she is the one who causes me more problems with feeding. I try to get them all on one food, I travel so it is so much easier to tell my cat sitter how to feed that way, and then Tinker turns her nose up and I have to find one just to please her. I could go to dry, I know that would work, but with the male, I just dont want to even tempt the problems that can bring. AND they have just had checkups, the 16 yr old Raven's blood test came back super good. Canned food is so good for them.

Oh, Raven does have arthritis so I give her several suppliments in the AM (she is doing so well on them, even plays again sometimes) mixed in the liquid from the canned food. It has been a mixed fish for a while but she has started to turn her nose up at that! I will have find another fluid that she loves to mix it in. I give them to her before her solid food. I can't just sprinkle it all over her solid food as she does not eat it all and they all share dishes and food. I am wondering if kittens milk or CatSip would be good. Have to go get some and try it.

Life would be so much easier if......but then also lonelier. There is no way I would be Sans cats.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading through these posts I realize how lucky I am. Cucumella will eat anything I give her except cooked fish. She likes it raw but unfortunately for her she doesn't digest it well so I give her very little portions and not often.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing that has helped TONS is FortiFlora. Lisa Pierson had it in her feeding cats blog and I use it. Even the picky Tinker will eat with that sprinkled on. She calls it one of her favorite tricks for transitioning from dry food and it is actually very good for our cats. http://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG I thought it was just me!!! This has happened time and again. OTOH, my newest stray will eat anything, so he's living large these days.

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The instinct to periodically switch their favorite food makes sense. If one type of prey becomes scarce in the wild, cats are "programmed" to fall back on another.

Mowgli gets dry food as a noontime snack. Since the types he can eat don't come in very small bags, I break down a bag and vacuum-pack small portions. He's good about canned food as long as he gets a different meat every day of the week. Our last cat wouldn't eat the same canned food for more than two meals a week and would suddenly stop touching a certain kind, so that had to be taken out of the rotation for about three months.

There's more cat food in our pantry than there is people food - for just one cat.
This is fascinating. I never really thought about this and yet it describes our Jaz perfectly. Explains why she adores one food one day and the next day she won't touch it. Hmmmm... going to have to pay more attention to this.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my friends who also has four says she gets the FF 24can flats. Each cat has a favorite flavor, different from each other, so she feeds them all one flat of one of the cat's favs, then goes on to the next one, then so forth, so they are all having to "put up with that food" until it is 3 days of their favorite! Sounds good to me.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

This should be posted in every thread about cats and being picky about food.