Never seen this happen in euthanasia, need answers please. so upset.

fluffypurrcat53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 My rescue boy, Karl Kat was the love of my life, one of nine cats, He was young by my others ages, only estimated to be eight years old. I rescued him in the summer of 2008, at a time I really was grieving over the very recent loss of my one year old kitten who had to be euthanized after finally being diagnosed with FIP. Karl Kat came along needing my help while grieving over my Paco who had just died.

Karl had a very tough time, suffering from severe Stomatitis and had a huge abcess on his  lower jaw and neck. He was also a skinny 7 lb, but beautiful brown and white tabby male. He was the sweetest cat I have ever known and I have owned and cared for lots of cats. Fast forward to Wednesday, June 12th, one of the worst days in my life. Karl had begun to lose weight and on April 29th, he went to our vet to have a check up. The vet thought he looked very good, but a little thin is what he marked on the chart. Blood tests were run to rule out either CRF or Cancer, the only things that came to mind as causing a drop of 2-3 pds on an otherwise healthy cat.

May 4th, the tests came back showing Karl Kat did have CRF, kidney disease. What was worrisome was not the kidney numbers, but his blood count was very strange. The vet did an in house blood count as he thought the numbers could be wrong...........but they were not. Karl Had severe ANEMIA, his HCT was only 10.5, also his white blood count and red blood count were SEVERLY low almost non existant. Karl Kat was given a sentence of Terminal, nothing could be done.

Karl kat is a fighter and I was in his corner so we tried to build up his blood count by using Procrit injections, anitbiotics and lots of good food, He steadly kept losing weight till Sunday he was down to slightly over 7 lbs again. He was very pronounced skinny with his backbone and hips showing and had lost his muscle mass in the rump area. I had begin assist feeding him with syringes as his anemia was so severe he lost his appetite completely and his HCT on May 20th had dropped to 9, and it was amazing he could even exist at this low of a level, but we had not given up yet.

Wed morning he was so weak, that during the early morning hours trying to walk to go to the bathroom he could not barely stand, he was wobbly as I supported his thin body, He cried out a couple of times in a voice I had never heard. He also had a blank look in his eyes, like he was no longer there, I knew his poor body had given up, and the last act of love I could give him was the final sleep. Crying I held him in my lap, him crying and voiding on me as I held him, He was in the process of passing and I could not let him suffer anymore. It had come on so quickly, his body began shutting down.

My husband and I held his paws and talked to him the whole time waiting for the shot to make him fall asleep before the final injection, He could not move, but his eyes gazed at ours and he held on for a long time till he was asleep and the tech came back to give him that last release. He was gone before the needle came out. We cried and carried our boy home. I cried all day , caressing my boy and telling him how much I loved him and how much he meant to us. I was also sewing him a special translation bag to be buried in, my final gift of love for him to be buried in.

This is where I need help, I know he had CRF, but it is the Anemia that killed him, He looked normal all day long, had him covered in a cool dark room, he is too big to fit in our fridge. About ten hourse after he passed, I went to look at him one more time before going to bed, to see if he really was gone, though Of course I know he had. I was visibly upset and distressed to see blood colored fluid coming from his nose, bubbling and continually emitting, though he had no head injury, had not been hit by a car, or any other injury, had not been out of our yard.I kept wiping the fluid from his nose, it kept coming no matter how much I wiped, It is not a small amount, but enough to soak through sheet after sheet of paper towels. Mind you he is on his side, lying flat. We had another cat who was 15 be euthanized by the same vet 6 months earlier and there was none of this fluid and bubbles coming from her nose.

Today is the second day since Karl Kat died, and this fluid is still emitting from his nose and bubbles. I know this may be a distressing topic, but I have no where else to turn, I need to know what this may be, so I Can protect my other eight cats incase this is caused by a disease, I can find no other answers on the internet on what causes this. It is pinkish stained, and bubbles, this is more distressing than the euthanization itself , not knowing what has caused this. I hate to think this is some disease process that caused his final death, and not the anemia though I am sure they are connected. If anyone has a clue, please tell me what it is, I can't get this image out of my head. Karl Kat is being buried today when my husband gets off work.

Fluffypurrcat

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like KarlKat had a good life.

About the fluids - can you call the vet? He or she may know what that is. I haven't a clue as to what could be causing it. To be on the safe side, I'd just make sure your other cats can't get close to him.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss and the further distress caused by the fluid.

We had to have our beloved Jamie euthanized on March 1, and much the same thing happened, though based on your description it was a smaller amount, perhaps because we buried him within 24 hours, and he was kept in a very cold room over night. There was a bit leaking from his nostrils after he was put down, and more as he was coming out of rigor mortis. In Jamie's case, the vet had warned me that the fluid in his lungs - he had congestive heart failure - would probably leak out. Is it possible that Karl Kat also had fluid in his lungs? Heart failure or cancer can both cause it and are no danger to other cats, though you obviously would want to do some thorough cleaning after his burial.

Why don't you call your vet and ask, just to reassure yourself?

RIP, Karl Kat.

taxido

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I am also dreadfully upset as I lost my best and most favourite boy Tim, due to FIP on Friday. He had never been ill in all his 15 years, so this came as a dreadful shock, and came right out of the blue. Tim is the cat you see on my avatar. I have never had such a loving and gentle cat.

MillieMil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know this is 4 years later, but, I just put my own kitty to sleep after battling cancer and needed that some group therapy , that's how I found your post.
Anemia that severe probably was caused by internal bleeding which pooled outside the cells and was being naturally expelled after passing. I know it's a gruesome image, but I've seen a few natural deaths in people and the body expels fluids such as urine, feces, blood since the mechanisms that kept it together are no longer there.
Renal failure probably occurred as a result of anemia, as the body did not have enough fluid volume to filtrate due to internal bleeding.
I am very sorry for your loss.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you loss and the awful images that must be haunting you. You dear friend is not suffering anymore. You showed him love and mercy. RIP Karl, you will always be loved by your family.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably to late for this now but if you are really unsure and feel comfortable with it you can have an autopsy done. In this case you won't be able to cremate or get the ashes but you would know what happened.

Personally I don't like seeing dead bodies or being near them. I had my Hector cremated even though the vet offered to do an autopsy. I just made sure she was dead and wrapped her in an old towel and took her in a a Rubbermaid tub to be cremated.