Never Ending Cycle Of Worms

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was putting Charlie in his room for the day and noticed he had a big old word segment hanging off his butt. We have been fighting this since the day I brought him home in July. I have a wormer that I give him for three days when I notice worms, but it doesn’t seem to be helping the situation. I thought we were over this!!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe you aren't using the correct de-wormer for the type of worms he has. Do they appear to be tape worms? That's what it sounds like when you said "segment". What are you using to get rid of them? I'm not familiar with any 3 day wormer, but then again, I've never needed to use any wormers :wink: (but I have read about them here!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a tapeworm.

I do not know what the name of this wormer is. The bottle just has the vet’s name on it but you give it based on body weight over the course of three days. I just don’t understand why this keeps being an issue.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My thoughts are the same as others who have posted - the type of wormer that was used might not treat tape worm - not all of them do. If you got the medication from your vet did they give it for general worming or to specifically target tape worm?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapeworms require a different worming medication than hookworms or roundworms. I would suggest getting to the vet to get the correct deworming. Also, you'll need to treat for fleas and make sure your home is flea-free. Most of the time, 2 rounds of meds are needed due to the life cycle of the tapeworm.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tapes are caused by fleas so unfortunately even if a current problem is treated the cat can get reinfested by another flea bite. Good luck.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a tapeworm.

I do not know what the name of this wormer is. The bottle just has the vet’s name on it but you give it based on body weight over the course of three days. I just don’t understand why this keeps being an issue.

Can you call the vet and ask what dewormer medicine was prescribed? It's odd that the vet just gave you a bottle with no label indicating the name of the medicine and how to give it. Three days of medicine won't fully kill the worm life cycle. Dewormers usually are aimed at young adult and adult worms. Unhatched eggs are unaffected. Sometimes you need to give the dewormer again a week or so later to get those eggs after they hatch. The vet can tell you how often to do a 3 day course of medicine.