Never buying from Petco again

zunarj5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I placed an online order for cat food so I wouldn't have to spend much time in the store. They also offer 10% off $50 for ordering online and picking up in-store. So I ordered $70 of canned food, dry food and treats and waited for the email that the food was ready to pickup. Kind of a pain because many of the items they claimed were available for pickup were out of stock in my local store. Half an hour after the order confirmation, I get an email that some items were cancelled. Some? The whole order of various assorted items! No explanation or apology, just cancelled. Called their customer service number and they were no help. They didn't know why either. Replied with an irate email and it said something along the lines of, "This account isn't monitored. You can email or chat with us at [contact page link]." But there are no email or chat options on that page. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Petco has lost me as a customer. I just ordered everything through Amazon. I had to order case quantities and I'm not thrilled about making Jeff Bezos richer, but at least Amazon never pulled this BS order cancellation on a whim. I'll also go through Chewy and visit Petsmart, but never, ever Petco again.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this happened. You might have gotten more information if you'd had a chance to call the store directly.

It sounds to me like it was probably a software failure. I haven't been able to log into Chewy for a couple of days all of a sudden, I have no idea if it's on my end or theirs yet (calling today) and am just glad I didn't have an order I was in the middle of putting together or something.

It's frustrating for sure, but I honestly don't think that it's worth the added frustration of not being able to utilize that store.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I placed an online order for cat food so I wouldn't have to spend much time in the store. They also offer 10% off $50 for ordering online and picking up in-store. So I ordered $70 of canned food, dry food and treats and waited for the email that the food was ready to pickup. Kind of a pain because many of the items they claimed were available for pickup were out of stock in my local store. Half an hour after the order confirmation, I get an email that some items were cancelled. Some? The whole order of various assorted items! No explanation or apology, just cancelled. Called their customer service number and they were no help. They didn't know why either. Replied with an irate email and it said something along the lines of, "This account isn't monitored. You can email or chat with us at [contact page link]." But there are no email or chat options on that page. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Petco has lost me as a customer. I just ordered everything through Amazon. I had to order case quantities and I'm not thrilled about making Jeff Bezos richer, but at least Amazon never pulled this BS order cancellation on a whim. I'll also go through Chewy and visit Petsmart, but never, ever Petco again.
Thanks for letting us know.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ordered from them last week. I ordered 20+ cans. They cancelled some. I went to pick up, they didn’t even have a bag, they just tried to hand me stacks of cans. I got home, they gave me the wrong things too. They are a mess!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sorry that happened. I stopped buying at Petco after going in and finding over 2 dozen cans of cat food on the shelf that were outdated. Not by days. By months. I took them up to the counter and showed them to the clerk. She just gave me a blank stare and asked if I wanted to buy them. No. I don't and they shouldn't be on the shelf. They have gone downhill for sure. The cat food section was getting smaller and smaller and the aisles were always blocked with pallets of stuff to be put on the shelves.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The few times I have shopped at Petco they had VERY,Very low stock all around, and the store was grungy!. I have resorted to online or in a pinch, running up the street to Petsmart.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most Cat related items I purchase from Chewy. A occasional purchase from Walmart.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had very good luck with PetSmart delivery and pick up. Once, they missed sending me something, and sent the driver back the next day. This could be store specific.

Usually, the biggest frustration is something selling out while I'm still shopping. I think this is from say maybe 2 of us adding something to our carts but not quite checking out..their site doesn't seem to have a temporary 'hold' feature like other online stores do. I can often remove it, add it right back to the cart and then check out and receive it no issue.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have cat litter delivered by PetCo. The litter is heavy, so it was better for me to have it delivered-- less lifting.
I did not use Chewy, because they discontinued the boxes, and only had the 40 lb bags; no place to store it.

I stopped having Petco deliver it because the delivery fee was outrageous for one item. It was not worth it. I know go to PetCo for it; having a employee put it in the trunk of my car.

There is one Petco in my city, which was shut down by the board of health, due to filth. Yup..
Last time I was there, I walked in and out, immediately. It smelt like sewer gas!! and was filthy. Nope, no way. They had one air cleaner in the front of the store, which was covered in filth! Yup, you could see the dust waving on the air outlet. It was disgusting. No stock, stock on floor, really bad. I read that someone saw dogs peeing on the lower shelf stock. I am not going back there, no matter what. I am traveling to a different city for stuff.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the stores like Petsmart and Petco have a custom of tipping the person that brings your order outside for curbside pick-up?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do the stores like Petsmart and Petco have a custom of tipping the person that brings your order outside for curbside pick-up?
Where I am the deliver through PetSmart is through a delivery service called Door Dash. We do tip about $3-5. But I always order over $50 so the $10 delivery charge is removed from my order.

We do not have PetCo here. Other stores cost too much to have anything delivered, so if there's a sale there, I check in with a friend or neighbour about driving on our Facebook's local community group.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hello I sorry this happened. I don’t use Petco so I don’t know how their inventory management software works. Sounds like it does not at all! I use chewys for the bulk of my items but I’m also a regular for PetSmart. They offer free same day delivery where I live on any size order. You are only responsible if you choose to tip the driver. They have an automated inventory system, if they are out it will not let you order the product. I have found when using the app vs website , I can order in less than case qty on a lot of items too. However there are times which are uncontrollable…if an item is low in stock (which it will mention low stock, will also show no longer avail if you purchase last of stock) if someone comes into the store and buys up all of an item before your order is pulled for delivery..that’s beyond control. Otherwise it’s pretty on point.