Neutralizing Bone/Phosphorus in Raw commercial brands

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I've been feeding my cats the following diet: 60% Home cooked/w Alnutrin eggshell, 20% Rawz can food (shredded variety) and 20% Primal Freeze Dried Nuggets. But now I would like to go more raw. I would like to transition to 60% Primal Raw Nuggets or the Small Batch Sliders as I don't want to make homemade due to needing a grinder. However, I'm concerned about the bone/phosphorus content in these brands. So I was wondering if I added additional raw meat to the nuggets (i.e. 1 ground boneless chicken thigh cube from ice cube tray per 2 nuggets of Primal) will that help neutralize the bone/phosphorus content? Or has anyone found a brand that is low in bone/phosphorus? TIA!

p.s. I already looked into: Seems like Stella & Chewy and Vital Essentials are about same/or higher as Primal/Small Batch.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You might try Stella’s Selects. It comes in turkey and chicken and uses calcium carbonate instead of bone.
Stella’s Selects Cage-Free Turkey | Stella & Chewy's Pet Food

Also, I think Northwest Naturals has a lower bone content than the regular Stella & Chewy’s or Primal frozen raw. If I remember correctly, someone here has queried NWN in the past and the company said it’s about 7%.

I’d be worried about throwing off the nutrient balance by adding additional meat to the commercial brand.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with tobermorey tobermorey . The problem is that you don't actually know the exact bone content in the food and usually when you adjust the amount of muscle meat you also have to adjust the amount of calcium. You risk throwing off the phosphorous to calcium ratio.