Votes: 2 7.4%
  • $200 and up

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is an interesting little website which shows how animals fare legally in countries around the world. World Animal Protection | Animal Protection Index
That's a useful site! It doesn't surprise me that Germany got a B. There's a lot of room for improvement as far as zoos, circuses, and farms are concerned.

I assume kashmir means eartipping, which is how feral cats are marked as being such around the world when they are neutered
There's some variation, in Germany, at least. I've seen some ferals whose ears have been notched, and in my area the vets tattoo ferals' ears rather than clip them. That of course means that some already neutered ferals are trapped and only released again with a delay.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How are some people paying that much for a male neuter? Isn't the male desex operation a lot simpler then the female. Would be curious to hear the price of the female if the male costs that much.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume kashmir means eartipping, which is how feral cats are marked as being such around the world when they are neutered.
Exactly. Sorry for the confusion. I couldn't remember the terminology.
The ears are actually notched/tipped/clipped - whatever you want to call it, they are missing a small piece of ear.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also have an insurance agent who works with the clinic to help cover anyone who absolutely cannot afford to spay/neuter. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it's called 'Spay the Mountain' or something like that. It's for both dogs and cats. There is no financial reason to not have your pet fixed on this mountain. Microchipping is real cheap too.
The mountain is trying to get all pets spayed/neutered and microchipped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And here’s Conan the Destroyer, back to his barbaric ways after being “cised” earlier today.

821B091C-837E-4EFE-ADC1-E5A92E64BBC8.jpeg

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my boy neutered at a city-funded not for profit clinic and it cost me about $175CDN (140ish USD?). This cost included pain meds. I chose this option after asking my vet about prices. He quoted me $700CDN ($575ish USD) for a neuter.

Granted my vet's neuter included options like blood work, iv fluids, rechecks, pain meds, etc., etc., but the difference in cost was really shocking for me at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conan the Destroyer is back to his destructive self.

He even removed his own ID collar before I did.

Neutering was $72, not dirt cheap but reasonable for here in Southern California.

CE4A0276-6CC2-45D3-A237-DDAD3AB7CAFB.jpeg
7AA47B9B-A2E0-4492-BB8D-DA9046A578FE.jpeg

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my beautiful tabby boys neutered in early 2018...$250 for each cat. It was worth it though, now they can’t get into any “trouble”. :crackup::crazy:

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm reasonably sure it was under $200, but I don't remember the exact price.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are some people paying that much for a male neuter? Isn't the male desex operation a lot simpler then the female. Would be curious to hear the price of the female if the male costs that much.
For-profit surgeries are always going to be more expensive. But I do believe that cat neuters are a "you get what you pay for" situation. For a cheap clinic neuter your cat won't get iv fluids, probably won't get much in the way of pain relief, won't get blood work, monitoring during surgery might be minimal, etc. None of this really matters until something goes wrong.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently in some places $800 is the norm!?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Upstate NY here. I just fixed my cat at a low cost clinic for $70. included ear cleaning, nail trim and a 1-year rabies vaccine. My friend is doing hers at a private vet, vaccines + spaying will be around $250.

They gave me a price on some other services too, which I’ve attached for you.

Attachments