Votes: 2 7.4%
  • $200 and up

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A thread about vet care inspired this, and the fact that little Conan the Destroyer, aka Dennis the Menace will be neutered on October 20.

I suspect that my price range might be a bit low, but please share with me. Prices are in U.S. Dollars; I'm curious as can be to know what vet care outside the U.S. costs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges $75 for cat neuters. As of last year anyway. I haven't had anyone done this year so I don't know if the price went up. Includes a painkiller injection, and I can drop them off the night before if I want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges $75 for cat neuters. As of last year anyway. I haven't had anyone done this year so I don't know if the price went up. Includes a painkiller injection, and I can drop them off the night before if I want.
That's pretty reasonable, especially the overnight part.

Conan's going to the local neuter clinic, where I have to bring him in there first thing in the morning take him home that day. BUT, they're open on a Saturday. So that helps. The hard part will be fasting. All six will have to fast, too. Maybe I will, as well, in solidarity.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My praivate vet charges around 150.00, this includes all necessary vaccinations too, and a antibiotic injection. 60 miles north in a bigger city they have neuters/spays done every fall for one month for 30.00, but after listening to a cat cry for an hour in the car, never again....:help:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Generally €80 - €85 ($98) for a male in Germany if there aren't complications, €140 ($161) for a female. There's a scale of fees vets are obligated to use, so no low-cost spay/neuter clinics. However, vets under contract to shelters charge by the hour rather than for the service performed, so it's somewhat cheaper for shelter animals.
The adoption fee barely covers the cost of neutering a male and is less than that of spaying a female. When you consider the fact that the cats are fully inoculated, adopters get a very good deal.

The prices are obviously still too high for many people. It's not all that unusual for people to surrender pregnant females, or for a mixed indoor-only pair to consist of a neutered male and an intact female.

$40 to $60 in the UK. If you are on a low income there are charities that will do them for free.
That was something I didn't know till I read A Street Cat Named Bob; I wish it were like that in other countries.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are on a low income there are charities that will do them for free.
Yes, there's a British lady in the town my parents live in who was APPALLED that there wasn't a local free spay/neuter program for the strays she was feeding, like she used in England. But because of that she's been instrumental in getting that town's TNR movement going. . .sometimes it takes an outsider to see what's wrong, I guess.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was something I didn't know till I read A Street Cat Named Bob; I wish it were like that in other countries.
We are a furry animal loving country, no question. the RSPCA (big animal charity) only gets a few million less donations per year than the RSPCC (big children charity). Animal welfare is one of the few places we are leading the world. It's not much to be proud of as a country, but I'll take it.

One of the benefits of the UK being so small was that I was able to jump on a train for an hour and go meet Bob a few years back :)

This is an interesting little website which shows how animals fare legally in countries around the world. World Animal Protection | Animal Protection Index

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been 15 years since I last paid to have it done so I don't know how much it is now. There are several low cost options in the area. There are also a few rescues here with very reasonable adoption fees and the cat has been fixed if needed, vet checked and had their vaccinations. If adopting a young kitten may have to finish up their kitten shots.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The clinic near us does neutering for $40. (Spaying is $60.) Both come with a cone and two days worth of pain medication. For ferals, it is $30 for neutering and spaying, and it comes with a free rabies vaccine. Our vet does neutering for $70.