Neutering solves soo many problems.

juliek1975

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am just frustrated at the moment and need a place to vent.  It irks me to no end when people get rid of their cats for behaviors that could have been prevented with simply neutering them early.  My niece is on her second cat, the first one they gave away because it was getting aggressive with their young kids.  (This wasn't related to not neutering, just not teaching their kids the proper way to treat pets.) Now on her second cat she told me nonchalantly that she made a deal with her husband she could get a bunny if she got rid of the cat!  I asked why she wanted to get rid of it over a bunny and she said the cat has started peeing on everything.  It's 8 or 9 months old, I asked if she had it fixed and the answer was no. I told her, that I've always gotten my cats neutered before they were 6 months old and NEVER had an issue with spraying.  I feel so bad for the cat that it was taken to the SPCA.  I already have 4 inside and 3 outside, or I would have taken it. 

My other frustration is that their dog gets to stay despite many behavioral issues, she has complained about.  Okay so she's obviously not a cat person like me...so why keep getting cats then??

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally agree with you. One of the many reasons why TCS is very strongly pro neuter and spay. It does seem to be a more common misconception that cats are disposable but dogs are not. So wrong on so many levels!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  It seems like so many people deal with someone like this at least some point.  For me; it's a woman I know who doesn't get her cats fixed and then wonders why they run off and carries on how her kids are just heartbroken.  I no longer have her on my facebook page so she gets to me less (an unrelated incident).  I've cringed every time I see her inquiring about free kittens and excited they got a new puppy.  I have tried to get her in contact with the local SPCA for their low cost program.  I understand they have 4 kids and live on a budget; but this is so basic.
 In the end; I've tried to educate her politely; but without enabling her.  Sometimes that is all we can do; short of spaying/neutering the cats for them.  I know people have done that too actually...