Neutering Ends Spraying/marking ?

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
~ Does neutering kitty solve the problem of spraying/ marking ?

Male cats spray urine to mark their territory. This is a sexual behavior. If a cat is neutered before they begin to spray, in most situations they will never begin to spray. However, if a cat is neutered after they begin to spray it may or may not stop the spraying. It depends on whether or not spraying has become habitual. So the answer to your question is neutering generally prevents spraying, but does not always solve the problem of spraying once it has already started.

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
and that is exactly why we recommend Fixing by Five months. If the bad habits do not start, we are way ahead. It is probably one of the best benefits of FFF. So many cats abandoned or relinquishd to shelters are not kept in their original home because of the spraying habit.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to chime in ~ while it is ideal to have the boys neutered before they begin spraying, it is always a good idea to get all the tom cats neutered at any age. To me, the pee of an intact cat is much, much stronger. Also, the neutering (especially when there are no longer any females in estrus present) makes the behaviors much more manageable, including discouraging inappropriate marking.

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I want to chime in ~ while it is ideal to have the boys neutered before they begin spraying, it is always a good idea to get all the tom cats neutered at any age. To me, the pee of an intact cat is much, much stronger. Also, the neutering (especially when there are no longer any females in estrus present) makes the behaviors much more manageable, including discouraging inappropriate marking.

Absolute right!