Neutering And Spaying At 4 Months?

Peacefulpearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, where I come from , only one vet accepted to neuter at 4 months old, they believe that it isn't a good idea to neuter under the age of 6 months, is it true? I want to neuter my male kittens before they reach sexual maturity, to avoid urine spraying. also, would they still spray urine even if they got neutered before reaching maturity? how about female kittens, is it okay to spay them at 4 months as well? thank you :)

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
hello, where I come from , only one vet accepted to neuter at 4 months old, they believe that it isn't a good idea to neuter under the age of 6 months, is it true? I want to neuter my male kittens before they reach sexual maturity, to avoid urine spraying. also, would they still spray urine even if they got neutered before reaching maturity? how about female kittens, is it okay to spay them at 4 months as well? thank you :)
Most veterinarians still consider 6 months as the appropriate age to spay / neuter cats (and dogs) simply because that is what they were taught in veterinary school. But there is NO scientific basis for delaying surgery until that age. Research studies have demonstrated no adverse effects of spay neuter as young as 4 months of age and numerous positive effects.

Male cat urine spraying is a technique for male cats to mark their territory. Warning other male cats; stay away, this is mine. That is basically a sexual behavior. As long as your cat is not spraying urine prior to being neutered it would be highly unlikely for it to start spraying after it is neutered. The longer you wait to neuter him, the greater the chance he will start urine spraying. Neuter at 4 to 5 months of age should be sufficient to prevent urine spraying.

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Since the urine spraying is hormone-related, it makes sense to neuter before those hormones come into play. And for females, mammary gland cancer is also hormone-related and is a good reason to spay them prior to five months. Do spread the word about this - it is only recently that American national veterinary organizations endorsed this. As Dr. Bushby wrote, most vets still recommend six months - and we hope that will change as this information about hormone-driven behaviors [that often cost cats their homes] gets out in the public awareness. Anyone wanting materials to raise public consciousness are welcome to contact us for details or visit our site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peacefulpearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much, will differently have them neutered and spayed at 4 months :blush:

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Yes, it is www.felinefixbyfive.org There is a section for veterinarians - we hope more will sign up - we know they are out there! And we hope that people will read and share the articles and information posted. The endorsement of all the major U.S. veterinariy organizations of the Letter of Consensus about best age to spay/neuter is a huge step forward, and one that most people, even veterinarians, are not aware of - yet. You can help raise public awareness through social media, letters to the editor of papers, speaking with other 'cat people' and your veterinarian, and posting materials available on the site. The shift in acceptance of FFF can take two years or twenty-five years depending on how much effort we put into it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Eshter! We need something like this to help you and many vets spread the word that 4 months is not too early to get kittens spayed and neutered.