Neutered Male Still Trying to Mate!!!

andra681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,
i would truly appreciate any and all advice on this problem. i have 2 ten year old cats. brother and sister. spayed and neutered. the brother has always bben in charge because the female is very shy. about 10 months ago, we got a new kitten. we had him spayed about 4 months ago. he STILL tries to get on top of the female and bite her neck. she will have none of it! he is also aggressive with the old male cat......but at least the old one shows him who is the boss. i understand he is young still ......but will he ever learn his place in this household? do you think its placing too much stress on my older cats? i would hate to have to get rid of the young one.....but if he doesnt stop "humping" the old female......i dont know what else to do. thank you!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the female cat spayed?
I knwo that most male cats that are spayed still go and try with a female

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andra681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, the old female is spayed. thanks

mylilscout

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, how long ago did you get him fixed... If the operation was recent, maybe he is confused and still thinks he can "do his thing"
I am not an expert in this area but I am sure that many here can help you with this.
Have you spoken with your vet? If not I would call them and seek their advice. I am sure others have come to them with the same issues.
Please do not give up your baby!! I am sure there is a way for all three cats to live together, it just may take some time and training!! Let us know what happens!

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was it your regular vet that did the castration on the younger cat? were both testicle in place, or could the have missed one if it hadn't dropped.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a male cat reaches maturity before he is neutered, it is not uncommon for him to still get the urge.
Fred was neutered at five years old, before I really knew much about cats, and up until about 2 years ago, he was still doing his thing, just not making kittens.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would hate to have to get rid of the young one.....but if he doesnt stop "humping" the old female......i dont know what else to do. thank you!
There is no reason to do this
There is no harm to your older female. She will let him know when she has had enough. Just because a male is spayed does not always get rid of the desire to mate. However, the sooner the better. My bobcats are spayed and neutered. My FEMALE bobcat tries to mate with all my cats! This behavior is also a way for cats to show who is at the top of the order, in other words, who is boss. My male pixiebob is neutered and he still gets in the mood at times. So, what you are seeing is natural and will do no harm to all the cats involved. Hey they enjoy a little fun too...if you know what I mean

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to admit I've never heard of such behavior from a cat. Maybe a dog, but not a cat.

I'd suggest a behaviorist?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat Ebony would drag our daughter's bunny slipper around between his legs, holding it by the ear and trying to have his way with it.

He also liked her white teddy bear. The teddy bear would play a tune if you pressed slightly on it's chest and many times in the middle of the night you could hear the bear "singing". My husband said Ebony liked the bear because it sang to him while he made love to it. He is the only cat we ever had that did this even after being neutered.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't mating behavior, it is dominance behavior. It is their way of showing the others who is boss around there. Allow them, within reason, to duke it out among themselves and once they have established their pecking order, it will cease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andra681

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the inormation, i appreciate it!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Our cat Ebony would drag our daughter's bunny slipper around between his legs, holding it by the ear and trying to have his way with it.

He also liked her white teddy bear. The teddy bear would play a tune if you pressed slightly on it's chest and many times in the middle of the night you could hear the bear "singing". My husband said Ebony liked the bear because it sang to him while he made love to it. He is the only cat we ever had that did this even after being neutered.