Neutered Male Cat/ Unaltered Female

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi honestly not sure if this is the right spot or not as im not trying to breed but it about mateing behavior.
Ami has come into heat for the first time she 7 months old and the oldest of the kittens. In the home two neutered males the youngest of which hasn't shown an interest in her antic yet our at least not when we are around. Ace was roughly six months old when fixed. However the other male Harley who was 18 months roughly has shown an interest and attempted to mount her. He stopped both attempts when told no by my dad. She the one usually after him while Harley normally ignores her. I know that as the boys where fixed in july they cant sire any litters with the un altered girls and safe to not separate in that regard but we believe harley to be Ami dad im wondering if we should separate which is difficult because of the different bonds between the 8 cats.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could seperate them while she's in heat. It may be easier to get her fixed though!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No reason to separate them. Neutered males and even other females will mount a female in heat, to try to "help her out". If he was neutered late he may be able to do the deed and that might bring her out of heat (and that could cause a false pregnancy) but usually neutered males can't seal the deal. Just get her spayed as soon as you can and everybody will be a lot more relaxed :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh we plan to get them all fixed between the whole crew im currently 5 for 5 lol. Got one male dog to fix large breed i wanted to wait until he was done growing as he seemed to have trouble with his hips at times paranoid mama lol. Ally was to go in spet to be fixed but Sami was very difficult to wean she still tries at 7 months. But the brakes went out on the car ended up needing brakes rotators and i beleive a caliper. Not even two months later and the rear barring goes out and we still got to put an oxygen senser in it. Then uri became the band of existence. Now its winter and after such a battle with uris im weary of taking them out in this cold weather. And now ive gotta figure out the best place to get it done. Ive learned some horror story in the last six months about where the boys where done so now its do i go to my back up vet which will be 100 a cat or do i weight for a moble unit which while be around 60 a cat. Do i split them up into pairs i wanted to wait on Sami as she really struggled with uris and weazy breathing i just feel she needed to be older and stronger

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I'm in Canada and can't believe those prices for surgery!! Never would you find it so cheap around here. :(
As for Sami, if she's not in great health then it would be best to wait until she's better before spaying. that wheezing would concern me with the anesthesia.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah which is why she and ally are part of why its so long. Sami been a month with very little episodes of whezing think it was her fish allergie while Ally dosen't do good in heat weather much like her mama (me)

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So females "mount" other females while they're in heat????? lol

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so not long after Ami came into heat her mom is now in heat and ami no longer yelling whatever you want to call i not sure if one of the boys did mount her or not. But i wonder if Ally heat could have over powered hers or something. The second Ally came into heat it was like all the cats reset and are acting their old self. Tonight i had to fight 5 for my dinner they love mac & cheese it was funny

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really don't know if females really mount others i assume its possible i know dogs will. But i usually only have two cats at a time while inside at least.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know dogs will come into heat if other dogs around them are in. So I suppose it is possible cats are the same.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats heats are dependent on day length so with the days getting longer the whole females will all be coming into heat. It gets really noisy around here this time of year since i have a cattery! Females will mount other females. And a RECENTLY neutered male can still sire kittens, my vet suggests keeping them apart for 6 weeks after neutering.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did not know this posimepurrs. So come cats are gay? I also did not know that even after neutering, cats can still become pregnant.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also did not know that even after neutering, cats can still become pregnant.
Females can't get pregnant after spaying, not at all. There's nothing left!

A male can get a female pregnant right after neutering. . .from sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes. The sperm are almost certainly all dead by 2 weeks after neutering, but since the exact timing isn't known, some prefer to be more cautious and wait 4 or 6 weeks just to be sure.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought the sexual desire of the male was killed off immediately right after neutering. Not sure how can he still have the desire to mount.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, females do it too, and that's not "natural". Idk, cats do what cats wanna do. I can't explain most of it.

Also, the testicles aren't the only source of hormones. Other glands in the body also produce hormones, albeit at lower levels. So a neutered male still knows he's male (as much as any cat "knows" what sex they are ;)).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mounting also isn't just for copulation, cats will mount or straddle one another (without sexual involvement or even their genitalia in contact) as a dominance behaviour.