Neutered male cat sometimes sometimes does a weird form of humping. Why?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bit of background: Kira is a rescue cat. I found him on the street covered in his own filth and days away from starving to death. Since day 1 he's been incredibly insecure. In six years we've gotten to the point where I'm allowed to pet the backside of his neck. Never the face. Very rarely I can brush his back. (Weirdly, he loves me petting his back when I'm asleep. I often wake up to find I've been petting him in my sleep. As soon as he realizes I'm awake he runs off) He's also been VERY concerned about fitting in. If the other cats do it, he does the exact same thing. Sliding door wide open? Nope. Have to use the cat door because the others do. He only sleeps where they sleep, goes where they go.

One of his many quirks is when he gets super friendly at night. It happens about once a month. He always begins by sitting on me and purring. The purring gets louder and is soon followed by him tensing his leg muscles. His booty moves up and down about an inch. Within three minutes of this he's op and meowing, humping my leg and kicking it with his back leg. If I try to move my legs it gets him more excited and he follows. It usually ends with him cleaning his privates. I know I can't get him to stop (believe me, I've tried everything) but I'm still incredibly curious WHY he does it. He never tries anything with my other cats, just my leg. It almost seems to relate to his insecurities. Like he wants me to play with him or pet him, but doesn't know how to express it. Toys distract him, although he's still very much aroused. He usually does it once my sleeping meds have kicked in and I can't play which makes it harder.

Has anyone experienced this? What causes it? Is it just his way of being friendly? Why only at night when I'm half asleep?

This is tonight's session. He's still currently looking at my blankets with interest from his cat tree. Unfortunately I've got eleven mosquito bites on my legs he's aggravating or I'd let him play for a few. Since I can't sleep due to the itching I thought I'd ask.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You already said it, he's insecure and does the 'humping' to make him feel good. a neutered cat does this for comfort or dominance. Since he likes you I wouldn't say it is dominance, he does it because he is relaxed and happy and it comforts him......As he gains confidence he most likely will stop, or you can get him a soft stuffed animal if he doesn't.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a lot of 'skeeter bites 😞. The brand Off has a new spray-on that's supposed to be good, not sticky etc. Hang in there!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You said it happens once a month, is someone in the home menstruating? It could align with part of someone's cycle. My aunt had a dog like that.