Neutered male cat humping while kneading

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I have 2 cats, one of which is a male who we rescued 8 months ago. History unknown, all we know is he was dumped out on the street by his family, he was around 1 year old at the time and left to fend for himself mid summer (we live in the Middle East for work so you can imagine the heat and dust!). He was in a terrible state but we gave him a home and he is happy!

However.. about 2 or 3 weeks ago he started this new behaviour. Whenever he starts kneading a blanket he becomes "excited" or "randy" shall we say, he becomes erect and starts dry humping the air while kneading..

We have tried to distract him when he does this but it doesn't seem to stop..

1. Any idea why he is doing this all of a sudden?
2. How can we encourage him to stop??

Thanks everyone!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure. But pleasure is in some degree connected with sexual feelings, and surely vice versa.

Thus, our boys, often tend to after cuddling and spinning with us, to go aside and wash their genitalies....

Hereby we can understand, mating is not just a pure instinct, its also somewhat more or less pleasurable, as with us humans. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume that he had bee neutered. That most certainly helps but many male cats do still exhibit this behavior. No stopping it or need to. If you would prefer he not do it on your blanket give him a similar object if his own and let him have his moment.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a neutered male which I got from a shelter. He awkwardly tries to hump his little "sister," who is spayed. I just gave up knocking him off when I caught him on her. She can take care of herself quite well, anyhow. She'll pitch him off, bite him or box his ears most of the time.

He also used to try and hump my feet under the blanket, but seems to have given that up since I wouldn't put up with it, either.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some neutered males like to get "happy" because it just feels good. It's normal behavior. Just let him do his thing. You can give your cat his own blanket to get happy on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright thanks everyone.. and yep his rescuer had him neutered before we took him (about 10 months ago) but sounds like normal behaviour then! Guess he's just feeling a bit amorous these days.. thankfully he hasn't tried it on with his big sister, he tried it once when we first brought him home but she made things very clear there and then 😂😂

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not quite to that extent but we had a boy who had been neutered at a young age and he would knead backwards and push his butt into our lap or side. It was very awkward and because of this know ALL my cats knead backwards lol. My two girls recently taught our new little boy Frankenstein and he does it too!
Cats are so unpredictable

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neutered cat Willy still humps things sometimes. And he was neutered at an early age.

Honestly, it is just masturbation. I'm sorry if that sounds crude, but I've done a lot of research on this. He leaves wet spots after he is done. Cats learn what feels good and repeat the behavior.

Also, it ALWAYS starts after kneading on something. And right before he was neutered, he started doing it on my leg frequently right after kneading.

It's not terribly frequently, but being neutered never completely stopped it.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty normal. Embarrassing but normal. My 11 year old boy likes to hump my legs. He sometimes nips too while doing it.
Don't be embarrassed. I've done a serious amount of research on this. Some male cats just learn how to masturbate, like the best of us cat dads (sorry I just can't help make the joke), and then they continue it after they have been neutered for years.

He ejaculates on things but it's rare so not a major problem. I'm sorry if that sounds crude, but it's just the truth if it. It's easy to clean whenever it happens.

Jaeivy2331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. My neutered male cat just started doing this and I did not know what was up. I figured this was normal but I need to get him his own blanket because he’s chosen my Snuggie and I cannot wash that everyday considering I love it. He also brings toys as offerings when he does it. I’ve had him almost a year but he’s been neutered since he was a kitten, about another year ago. Sigh now this is a thing and guess I’ll just deal. As long as he’s ok.