Neutered Male Cat, Humping And Erection...?

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey

I had to ask, because this put me off.

I have two boys, they have been neutered since they were 5,5 months old. I went to get them neutered at this time since Pepsi kept mounting Max and humping him (being a real teenager, so I figured it was time).

Now they are about 2,5 years old. I have not seen this behavior from Pepsi since, untill right now, 6 o'clock in the morning.

They fight sometimes (like brothers will), and Max (my big, quiet boy) almost always wins (it seems), Pepsi keeps yelling out at least. Pepsi is a very vocal cat, and will yell at anything, food and attention... you name it.

Anyway, this morning, just now, I heard him again, but the yelling (mowing however you spell it), was different. I had to use the bathroom anyway, so I got up, and found them, Pepsi this time on top (which is unusual). And he had that same mounting, with biting the neck to keep Max down thing going on, that I have not seen in the last 2 years. It freeked me out. Me moving towards them made him get off, and I picked him up and there it was, an erection...he sat dow and started to lick himself after. Did not seem angry at me picking him up either, his normal self (he loves to be held, and especially if I walk around and "shake" him like you would a baby, he is my sweet little boy, well man I guess now).

Is this normal, he is neutered, so should this be happening? For all I know it could have been happening since... I have a strict, no cats in the bedroom policy (Max really loose a lot of hair, I try and keep my sheets clean of them).
This really put me off, not sure what to think. Especially since I have been worried that Pepsi' happy dance, that looks like spraying, is now him actually starting to spray. But having "felt him up" after, as well as the counter, its all dry, so no spraying. But ...? Yeah, now I am a little worried...

Any input would be nice :)

How to make that call the vet. "Hey yeah, my cat gets erections... he is neutered...", figured I would ask here first. They already think I am a bit crazy for calling freaking out over a spider bite (should add; we have no dangorous spiders in Norway, but one type, very common house spider, is big enough to actually bite humans, and well all spiders have some venom, so I freked out, but no worries).

Last edited:

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering doesn't really kill the drive for sex.
It just stops the ability to reproduce. (And tones aggression down!)

Normally, When a Male cat mounts another male cats its to show dominance.

Now, since this is something you haven't really seen, It could be going on during hours that you aren't home / are asleep. If there are any other symptoms/changes in him, I would speak to a vet just in case!

danaleigh33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha I know EXACTLY what u are talking about. I have an 11 yr old male cat (Bob) who has been neutered since he was 6 months old. He displayed this same behavior before AND after he was was neutered; the only difference from your situation being that he is my ONLY cat, so he has his own stuffed animal cat that he humps (ALWAYS the same one, used to be my stuffed animal bc it looked like my childhood cat;needless to say it is his now!)
I was also freaked out at first, but my mom reminded me that neutering does not kill their sex drive, it merely makes it so they can’t reproduce.... but I also did some research on it bc I would notice that the “humping” would usually occur either in middle of the night, or while I am out and Bob is home alone (I know he’s been “humping” when his stuffed animal has been moved from 1 room to another).... But it is exactly as u described — first he starts out with these weird sounding meows— it actually sounds like he’s in pain and has woken me up several times bc it’s loud. I used to always jump out of bed to make sure he was okay, but after finding him humping each and every time, I’ve learned to realize that meow is just some kind of mating call. So after meowing, Bob will go over to his stuffed animal cat, bite the back of its neck while mounting it; but before any actual humping begins he always walks in circles with it! It’s actually pretty funny bc he has a hard time moving with the stuffed animal under him bc it’s the same size as him! After walking in about 2 or 3 circles with it still under him, he’ll fall into his side and starts going to town on it! (And yes, unfortunately ive also noticed the erection but it’s kinda hard not to notice when your cat is all black! It literally stands out!)
Anyway, after reading a lot about it online I learned that he does this behavior when he’s lonely. And it makes sense bc 99% of the time it happens in middle of night or while he’s home alone.... but it makes sense that u have noticed this behavior the last few years if u don’t let your cats in the bedroom. Plus your cat is doing it to a live cat (unlike mine) so if it happens while your out u also wouldn’t know it when u get back— whereas I find Bobs “girlfriend” has been moved all around the house! Buuut if he’s anything like my Bob; it’s been happening the whooole time! Haha (If it’s any constellation, there’s nothing medically wrong I guess we just have horny cats!! Lol)

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry. My three neutered and spayed cats do that as well. Part of it it's because the sex drive is not totally diminished, another part of it is to show dominance like a member said above. Even my female spayed cat does that to my male cat lol! So your male cats are only showing homosexual behavior, my female cat is actually a shemale lol

Crazie Cat Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so misery loves company. I'm glad to know my 10 month old neutered male kitten who has been acting frisky every night for the past week when I go to bed, is not behaving in an unusual way. I was thinking that his neutering may not have been effective. But I guess it makes sense that the neutering doesn't take away their horniness. I've had other male cats in the past who did not behave like this, so I find it odd, but it's good to know that it's not entirely unusual. LOL. I rescued him from a tall tree out on a horse ranch about 8 months ago when he was barely old enough to be weaned. People often drop kittens off out in the country, and I've rescued about 8 of them over the past 10 years. I have seven now, and since I lost my two males within the past year, he's the only boy kitty struttin' around. His little frisky episodes last about 5 minutes, and then he jumps off the bed and finds someplace else to sleep. He's a cutie pie. I just wish he wasn't horny every nite, LOL