Neutered Male Cat Erections

samurai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a beautiful, nearly two year old Lynx Point Siamese who was neutered at 4 months.

In the last few weeks, he has been exhibiting strange behavior when he lays on a fleece blanket. He starts to need and often gets an erection. In addition, he seems sensitive, exhibits aggitated behaviors and becomes irritated if we touch him or try to move him in this phase.

He has had bloodwork and shows zero testosterone, so the vet assumes he was properly neutered. We have read about this behavior on line, but have yet to see any advice or even comments as to what may be happening or how to help out this poor fellow.

Any ideas?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing a little as I read this, simply because so many of our members have neutered males who "get happy."  Neutering really doesn't kill the drive to mate.  It kills the ability to reproduce and tones the aggression associated with mating WAY WAY down, but nature is nature.  Give him his very own fleece blankie, and he'll be fine.  He isn't hurting anything (except the blanket) at all.  I know it's a bit off-putting, but keeping "HIS" blanket in a fairly private spot will take care of that.   Oh, and MOST males, of ANY species, get a little testy if you try to move them in that phase.  Can't say I blame them.  

It really is fairly normal behavior!  I've seen cats fixated on all sorts of things, a bunny slipper being my personal favorite.  And he was faithful...it was only the LEFT slipper!

BTW...welcome to TCS!  Any and all questions are welcome here, even those like this (and you should see us flocking to pictures of kittens' fannies to determine the sex of the little mites!).  Make yourself quite at home.  There's a Forum called "New Cats on the Block" where you can introduce yourself and your cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samurai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to know. We had a male Maine Coon who lived until 15 who never behaved that way, so I was curious. Our vet seemed ready to run more tests, ultrasounds and other expenses, but after reading others talk about this, I suspected it was not uncommon or a health issue, even though in some cases it can be. His bloodwork and stool tests were all fine.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My Lucky :rbheart: used to get that. I don't know if he did when he was younger but definitely in his teen years. Would catch him staring at me in a weird way sometimes and have this weird purr..... and I'd see his little hmm hmm standing right up at attention.

samurai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying. Sam-san just started this and we are glad to know he is not unusual! Mostly worried that it was a health issue, but have thankfully ruled that out with the vet.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy gets very "happy" every night!! several times as a matter of fact.. 

He is my first male cat. When I first saw this behavior, I was shocked! and scared, and horrified!!  I could not believe what I was seeing!! Never saw this before in a cat... 

Then I researched it; asked my Vet about it.. she said to let him be 'happy'....

Now when it gets too much. I tell no, "No Willie"... and he stops.. of course he is upset.. 

When I have touched him, while he is in the middle of his 'happiness', I get a really funny growl. The look on his face is priceless...

Cats are so funny...

samurai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We are glad to hear Sam-san is not too unusual regarding his "happy" behavior. We love our cats. Every day they do something sweet, funny or annoying, but look forward to our time together.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're looking forward to getting to know you and your cats!  I hope you'll be a regular, but even if you only check in when there's a question or a problem, be sure you are so very, very welcome!

Sunflawer9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat, no joke, Don Juan, was neutered as well and has only recently started to get “happy” at night. Seems fine to me, but should I be worried since he’s an older cat. He’s about 14, and I have never seen him act like this till recently. Now it’s about every night. He doesn’t show signs of being sick or any other irregular behavior. Just mostly concerned bacause of his age.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Salem humps my velour blankets I use on my bed instead of a comforter. He wouldn't use other blankets it has to be at the foot of my bed :rolleyes: it has been a decade and he still does it ... and yes sadly his little pink willie comes out. I gave up trying to get him to stop and just trained him to do it at the foot of the bed. (I need the lightweight velour blankets because of health issues otherwise I would just switch all my blankets and give him a small blanket to hump.)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine used to hump my feet through the blanket on the bed. It was a transient behavior and stopped after a month or so. He hasn't been a problem since. Perhaps yours will do so as well.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL he is 11... I doubt he is going to stop after a decade of doing it. I wish I could train him to do it to a Kickaroo or stuffed animal like some cats do. He does not do it on my feet under the blanket, just the blanket.