Neutered Male attacking and mounting Spayed Female

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie - 8 mo. old. neutered. had him for 5 months.

Jet - 6 mo. old. spayed. had her for 4 months. 

as of the past week, Charlie, out of now where, every evening will "attack" Jet. 

He will chase her under the bed, and attack her. I hear hissing and yelling from Jet's end. Charlie has his ears back, determined look on his face, and eyes are black. just black. no color at all. 

this RANDOMLY happens. I'm not sure why (i haven't noticed any triggers) and it only happens in the evenings. it might also happen when i'm not home..I wouldn't know. I'm not home, no one else is either to watch them. 

This morning, he ambushed and attacked her twice. one of the times, was on my bed...and that is when i noticed he's not attacking, he's mounting Jet. He's behind her on top, he's biting her on the back of the neck and has her pinned down, and he looked like he was about to ...do the deed, but i saw no penis, and i shooed him off! I'm starting to think that, he's trying to stalk her, and then mount her, and i don't understand why. I'm here at working freaking out and stressing out and looking up all kinds of things to figure out WHY he's doing this..and HOW to make him stop.

Here is what I've done so far to get him to stop attacking Jet (before i found out he was actually mounting her)

1) increased his play sessions. 

2) play with him alone without the presence of Jet

3) give him extra attention. he gets his food first, treats first, greated first.

Here are some of the changes that has taken place

1) i bought a vertical scratching pad

2) i bought them a cat tunnel that has an attachable cat cube at the end. I've noticed with this, they like to hide in it and scare one another...i also noticed Charlie became VERY territorial of the cat tunnel wouldn't let jet go near it. So i put the cat tunnel away, and just have the cat cube. They both use it normally now, they share it.

3) i have introduce a calming aid into their diet. Its Whisker City Cat Calm or something...you mix it into the food or water. I bought it for Jet, and it seems to be helping her. I mixed it into Charlie's food (the tiniest amount for both kitties) a couple of times. I don't know if this is an unintended side effect...but i have stopped giving it to Charlie for the past couple days since the attacks have started. should i just wait for this to leave his system? it seems like the mounting has become frequent 

Here is what I've done to break up the fights/after the fight:

1) i make really loud noises to get his attention. this usually works and he stops. but his ears are back and his eyes are pitch black still.

2) i've crated him so he can calm down, however, he's just sitting in there, and he looks like he's brooding.

3) i've given him composure treats while he's crated, and in about 10-15 mins he does calm down...and that's when i'll let him out, reward him with more treats for being calm, and then he's back to being old charlie, happy, cuddly, purring, and wanting pets. 

I'm happy to say that through out all this, Jet hasn't reverted back to her old skittish ways. immediately after i break the fights up, she comes out from under the bed chirping and wanting pets or goes about her business being Jet...but I don't want Charlie to be "successful" and seriously hurt her...

I've read online that even though male kitties are neutered, some may still exhibit this mounting behavior...I just don't understand what's going on here or why he's doing it. :( he was fixed at the age of 3 mo. and Jet at the age of 2 mo. 

Has anyone else experienced this? How can i get him to stop? i plan on taking them both to the vet for a check up, but right now i'm so tight on money...

Can someone please offer some advise, some solutions? I work full time and i live with room mates. I can't be with them 24/7 to monitor their behavior, and I can't separate them and put one cat in my room and another cat in another room. This will cause MAJOR inconvenience to the other people i live with. I have thought about keeping Charlie in the bathroom...but there is NO SPACE for a litter box in there, or even a cat..

Please help...what can i do to minimize/slowly eliminate this behavior until i can get them both to the vet?

also could this be learned behavior??? something to consider:

i have a lot of feral and stray cats that live in my neighbor hood. a few of them chill out in my neighbors back yard. and my bedroom window gets a front and center view of my neighbor's backyard. Could Charlie be seeing these other cats mating or mounting each other and he is now trying to do the same to Jet? i dont know..that doesn't make that much sense to me, because he is full blow in aggression mode (ears back, pitch black eyes, tails swishing) when he does go into attack mode and when he is trying to mount Jet..

I don't know :( what can i do? please help. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right and everything you can. For some reason Charlie is trying to dominate poor Jet and show her who's boss. It could be redirected aggression, from seeing another cat outside, etc. too, it's hard to say. Maybe you could order a different calming aide from Amazon and see if those ingredients work better.Other then that, the only suggestion I have is to check the expert forums and see if someone can help you there. When my two get into it, I break them up too, now it just takes a yell to separate them, so it's better, but what happens when I'm gone? Keep us posted with what you find!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm...Let me do some research on a different type of calming aid. I'll have to post a link to what I'm currently using so maybe others who have used it and had the same side effects in their cat as I am might have some insight...

Whisker City Calm Down Cat Spray

I wouldn't be so worried if they were attacking each other, or play fighting. but he's mounting her...and if he's successful, i don't want him to hurt jet :(

its weird though. When i get Charlie away from her, she kind of goes looking for him. and if I crate Charlie, she is diligently trying to rescue him and set him free. LOLLL

I'm gald to see, at this point, this recent behavioral change in Charlie hasn't caused any behavioral changes in Jet.

I will take a look at the expert forums again. I hope i find something there that i didn't before creating this thread..thank you so much for the quick response. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whisky had been doing the same with blighty. Pinning him doen and stradllimg him. I worked it out that whisky is teaching blighty who is number one kitty.
I think blighty had understood the message. Thing is 10 month old blighty is massive bigger than his older brother whisky who is the dominant one. Maybe that's the problem. The ears and eyes are the same as your Charlie. Be patient. If there's no bloody it's not too serious.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update:

seems like Charlie is not mounting Jet anymore, or only doing it when i'm not around...i can't be sure...but his aggressiveness has subsided a lot more than before (or at least in front of me)

I just basically continued with heavy play sessions, and giving him special attention, and also giving him love first...and i guess its helping :)

I have cut back on the calming treats with him...so that could also be helping. He's never really needed them..but i'll give him one along with Jet (she's the one that needs it) I'm not sure this makes sense, but maybe when the calming treat wears off, he gets a bit of hyper ness? if that makes sense...which could cause him to easily become aggressive? if that makes sense..

Things seem to be going okay.

One thing...My girl Jet has been EXTREMELY clingy with me...every since this whole ordeal started, and the past few days even more so. She will literally follow me from room to room and keep meowing and rubbing up against my legs until i pick her up...and she doesn't want to be put down either. Could this be because i'm purposely making it a point to ignore her every time and acknowledge Charlie first? 

Its just a bit weird. She's stuck to me like glue now...she will follow me into my room mates bedroom, when usually in the past she would avoid coming out of the my bedroom at all costs, unless no one else is home, then she would follow me and wait behind closed doors for me....

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet. May still have some testosterone left if it want done properly. Make dogs used to mount my male dog who'd been neutered.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet. May still have some testosterone left if it want done properly. Make dogs used to mount my male dog who'd been neutered.
definitely taking them BOTH to the vet...

they're BOTH exhibiting odd behavior (not normative for how they are usually)

and its just weird that they're both started to act this way right around the age that they both would be coming into sexual age (for cats)

its just a matter of money at this point. :(

saving up for the next 2 weeks and taking them to the vet asap

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it might be a dominance thing. My neutered male cats sometimes try to mount each other, some days one will be on top, the next day another. I have 8 neutered males between 1 and 3 years of age at the moment and they will all do it occasionally, I'm pretty sure the vet can't have missed tissue when he neutered all of them. I usually put it down to too much energy and try to distract them with a toy.

Marley the 2 year old, is the only cat who will try to mount the spayed females and he only tries this with two of them. They are the two that he gets on best with. They usually sleep curled up together, and neither of them seem to hold it against him. They'll squeal and wriggle away from him, but five minutes later they'll be curled up together again.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen more often in the spring. There are still a couple of un-neutered tom cats that come around every now and then. Maybe it's the sound of them yowling at each other, or the fact that they spray outside that sets the others off. Maybe it's just a spring thing.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to suggest. It'll be interesting to hear what your vet says.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen more often in the spring. There are still a couple of un-neutered tom cats that come around every now and then. Maybe it's the sound of them yowling at each other, or the fact that they spray outside that sets the others off. Maybe it's just a spring thing.

its really interesting that you mention it being a spring thing, and that the presence of other tomcats in the area might set Charlie off. 

For the past two days I've noticed him sitting by the window, and if the window is open he meows out the window...like he's calling someone?? lol