Neutered cat

Kironizz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I really need your help. I have two cats, one older male and one younger female, they get along perfectly fine and act like best friends/lovers but that stopped after I got my female cat neutered a few days ago. Suddenly my male cat bites her every time she’s near him and it’s been 3 days but still acts the same, I’ve obviously separated them but it’s hard to do so in the long run, what is causing this reaction? Can I do anything to stop it?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey guys, I really need your help. I have two cats, one older male and one younger female, they get along perfectly fine and act like best friends/lovers but that stopped after I got my female cat neutered a few days ago. Suddenly my male cat bites her every time she’s near him and it’s been 3 days but still acts the same, I’ve obviously separated them but it’s hard to do so in the long run, what is causing this reaction? Can I do anything to stop it?
That is because your female cat has been to the vet and she smells different.

You can do a scent swap like taking a small towel and gently go over your male cat and then gently with the same towel transfers the male scent over to the female and use a new towel and do vice-versa.

Also you may use pure vanilla extract and dip a little on the chin an tip of the tail and a little on the back of the female cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In fact, if you do the male with vanilla as well, it may work even better, as they will smell alike. This is called "non-recognition aggression," and is very common in multi-cat households.