Neutered Cat Spraying In House

Ry.lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I know this sounds like it could be easily solved by a google search but I cant find anything that could actually help me.

Recently my cat has started to spray in the house, he mostly does it underneath objects, under the recliner chairs, if I leave a drawer on my dresser open and stuff like that. It's not medical as he literally just got over a mild urinary problem (Mild infection mostly just needed more liquid) He has two litter boxes cleaned daily, multiple pheromone diffusers, and he is played and fed the same time everyday. Its just this week he has started spraying but for about the entire time Ive had him he has done the spray stance (back arched tail wiggling) but nothing came out and I didnt think anything about it. I dont think it is stress because he never looks stressed out when he does it he is just strolling under a chair then does it. Not sure if it is territorial as he never does it near windows. He also in general appears to mark stuff a lot with his cheeks, like marking a chair everytime he passes it but I dont know if thats related. He also is not an outdoor cat but he is allowed in the backyard if someone is sitting with him, could he be smelling stray cats outside then coming in to spray? Any advice on why he is doing this and how to stop it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
could he be smelling stray cats outside then coming in to spray?
I'm thinking yes. You could try taking pieces of cloth, spraying them with lemon scented furniture polish and placing these around the perimeter of your yard - cats typically don't like citrus. Or a motion activated sprinkler could help too.

I don't know if this will make any difference here or not but you could try playing with him more and loving on him more - this can help a cat to feel more confident, and also maybe try some MusicForCats . com or classical harp music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ry.lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good thinking on the lemon scent around the perimeter! My dog can scare the outside cats in the day but ive had a suspicion that they come in at night. He definitely gets lots of love all day but I will definitely incorporate more play sessions, thanks for the advice!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, that it's a pee problem that brought you here.

Did he take antibiotics for the mild UTI ? If not, it may not be gone. UTI's are always the first thing to rule out when a cat starts peeing outside the litter box. So even though you think it's gone, a vet visit to confirm might be a good idea.

It could, of course, also be behavioural. Did anything change in the household before this started? Is he an only pet?

Are you cleaning the areas where he pees with an Enzyme cleaner? That's the only way to ensure the smell/scent of urine will be gone.

Since you've been Googling, you may have already seen these, but I'll post links to some TCS articles that might be helpful.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Combat Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home | TheCatSite
How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens | TheCatSite

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a black light and look for spray spots on the outside of your house, doors under windows. Clean them with the enzyme cleaner. Do it as long as the cats are spraying. Once the spot is cleaned put the lemon scented stuff on it.

You can get motion detector sprinklers with will sprinkle water at the wandering boys. It may discourage them. If you have a fenced
yard you might let your dog out a couple of times, randomly, during the night. Your dog will be thrilled.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and this is important, cover any heat vents near where he's spraying. use a cookie sheet, or if your a/c doesn't go through them use plastic wrap on the underside of the vent and spray the vent with the lemon scented stuff. You don't, seriously don't want cat pee going down the vents. It will actually destroy the metal.