Neutered cat sprayed again!

kitsune85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys.

i neutered my male cat 3 years ago, and since then he never sprayed anymore. but today as I was showering him (I've done this many times and he's totally fine with being showered) and I noticed he displayed the same behavior of spraying: he lifts his tail, his back quivers a little and I saw a stream coming out as he did so.

I'm confused as to why this happened. he's not scared or nervous, he's relaxed as always in the bathroom. and this time this was the only occasion he did that again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Showering may bother him now. Cats absolutely hate baths, even if they don't show any signs. They are really self-cleaning, unlike dogs who develop odors and oil on their coats. Most of my cats have never received a bath in their lives, only when they are covered in something that would be impossible for them to clean off, or dangerous if they licked it. Cats will start spraying again if given enough stress to make it happen. My male had not sprayed in 10 years, but did so for almost a year before he finally stopped after we moved to a place that had outside cats he could see. The move and the cats were just too much for him. Your cat will stop once he gets used to the stress. If it was the shower and not somnething else like a new cat in the neighborhood, starngers in the house, or a recent big change, just either eliminate them or do them much less often. He will stop.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to take him back to the vet see what they can do if hes still spraying like that

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi guys.

i neutered my male cat 3 years ago, and since then he never sprayed anymore. but today as I was showering him (I've done this many times and he's totally fine with being showered) and I noticed he displayed the same behavior of spraying: he lifts his tail, his back quivers a little and I saw a stream coming out as he did so.

I'm confused as to why this happened. he's not scared or nervous, he's relaxed as always in the bathroom. and this time this was the only occasion he did that again.
I'd stop showering for a while to see if the behavior disappears. If you're worried about fleas and don't want to use flea drops, you could comb him with a flea comb. I keep a big jar of water with a drop or two of Dawn in it beside me/us, and as I comb, I dip the comb in the water and pull the hair and fleas off into the water. It's amazing how quickly the fleas drown (the soap breaks the surface tension of the water.) They're dead in under 10 seconds.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Having said all the previous, I did have a neutered male who was a huge sprayer. He died young of kidney disease and I always wondered if there had been a link despite the vet not finding any early signs. In your case, I would stop the showering and then evaluate from there what is going on.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I seem to be a magnet for sprayers. More likely it's why they've been dumped and end up with me. It's why I only buy cheap or used furniture, and have plastic draped on anything I sit on.

I've also had a couple females over the years that would pee on me. One woke me up Christmas morning, sitting on my stomach and peeing. Her expression was as if she was bestowing me with the loveliest gift. For a long time I slept under a shower curtain.

All that said, the worst behaved animals has caused me far less heartache than the best behaved human.