Neutered a week ago and my cat lost his apetite

wally04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got neutered a week and go although he drinks alot of water he nibble on his food but will not eat anything, he seems fine plays and act normal, but I am concerned he has lost his apetite.  I have tried feeding him dry, soft food, milk and nothing he smells it then eats a little bit and he walk away,   According to the Humane Society the placed that fixed him they are telling me this is normal,

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is NOT normal!!  He needs to eat NOW!  You can try feeding him some plain meat baby food or even boil a chicken breast in plain water, no seasoning, then shred it finely add some of the broth to make it the consistency of chicken salad and offer it to him.  You could even try Fancy Feast or tuna.  He needs to IMMEDIATELY be taken to your regular vet.  If you have an ER vet, you can take him there NOW.

rosti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is NOT normal!!  He needs to eat NOW!  You can try feeding him some plain meat baby food or even boil a chicken breast in plain water, no seasoning, then shred it finely add some of the broth to make it the consistency of chicken salad and offer it to him.  You could even try Fancy Feast or tuna.  He needs to IMMEDIATELY be taken to your regular vet.  If you have an ER vet, you can take him there NOW.

I agree. Take him to the vet now!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. It's normal for him to lose his appetite for a day or two, but a week is a bad sign. Something's going on. Call your vet.

In the meanwhile, try tempting your kitty with his favorite foods, perhaps smelly wet food... or you could try some KMR or cat milk. Even if he's just eating junky treats or scrambled eggs or licking tuna juice, that's getting him some nutrition and that's important.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week is way too long.  A day or 2 would be normal but not a week.  I would go in right away for a follow up visit to see what is going on.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Tabby lost her appetite for right around a week, too, after she was spayed. I tried everything from adding broth to her food, to giving her more cat milk to giving her baby food. She was fine otherwise, she simply didn't eat that much. She'd walk over to the plate, sniff, and walk away. Sometimes she'd make a half-hearted effort to eat, but most of the time, she didn't care. I took her to the vet and the vet said that sometimes it does happen, that on very rare instances, the anesthesia can do funky things to their sense of smell (I don't know if that's true or not) and to keep working with her. But try not to get upset with her because she'd pick up on my frustration and it could make matters worse.

I'd take your kitty back to the vet, just to be on the safe side and make sure there's nothing wrong otherwise. And if he's OK, other than the not eating, let him go. Offer him food several times a day, offer him some warm baby food (chicken, beef, turkey), add some broth to his regular food, maybe add just a wee bit of tuna juice to his food. If you serve him canned food, try to heat it in the microwave for about 6-7 seconds. Warm food stinks more. 
 If there's nothing else wrong, he should come around. 

Good luck!