Neuter not healing correctly?

Pandabunns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I had my car neutered on Nov. 11th. They said everything went fine. We brought him home and he immediately tried to lick and chew on the site. We instantly scooped him up and put him back in his carrier until I could run back to the vet for a cone. When I got home his incisions still looked fine and they weren't even bloody. However, when I put the cone on him, he flipped out. Before we could finally catch him, he managed to do something to one of his incisions. A little pink thing is hanging out now. We took him back to the vet the next day and they did nothing. They put him on antibiotics and pain meds and sent him back home without putting the pink thing back in. They didn't discuss with us what it was and what we should do about it. We kept the cone on him a few more days after that. We have since taken it off and he hasn't touched the thing hanging out. It isn't bothering him at all. However, it is still hanging out and has turned black like it's trying to die/scab over, and the vet still doesn't seem concerned. He has an appointment Friday to have it looked at again. I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this before? If so, what can we do to help him? Like I said, it doesn't seem to bother him at all, but it doesn't seem healthy for it to just hang out all the time.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you send the vet a pic of the blackening so they could see if before the upcoming appt (I don't see it in the pics above)? If not, I would do that, if they accept pics. I really can't tell what I am actually looking at in those pics. But can you differentiate this 'thing that is hanging out' from his penis? The fact that it is turning black is not a good sign, one way or the other.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I'm interpreting the pictures correctly, his penis would be a little lower than that (further away from his tail).

This kind of looks like either something sticking out through the neuter incision, or possibly a piece of scrotal skin flipped inside-out.

If it is turning black (not covered by a dark scab, but the actual tissue itself turning black like gangrene), or the black area gets bigger, or you notice a bad smell, or he starts acting sick, do NOT wait until Friday to get it looked at, anything that might be gangrene is a "see a vet ASAP" thing.