Neuter Aftermath - Weird Scab-looking-abrasions??

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I trapped a semi-feral neighborhood cat to be seen for various medical issues and neutered. Turns out he’s a love and will now be inside with me. Anyway, it’s been 11 days since his neuter and everything has been fine. He still looks like he has balls, but that’s just something that happens sometimes when neutering older, mature-balled cats. I did notice a sort of scab forming on the sack as he healed (not on the incision), and then I found the scab in his blankets so I know he ripped it off. Nothing crazy.

Yesterday, I went to check on the neuter site and it was (minimally) bleeding. I panicked and called the vet, at which time the receptionist told me they were about to be closed and no doctors were there, and I’d have to go to the emergency vet if I thought necessary. Mind you, this cat is a former feral and is still very much completely feral with people other tha. myself, so I do not want to load him up and traumatize him at the emergency vet unless completely necessary. So I calmed down and looked again, and he had licked the small amount of blood away. Then it was clear that this was not blood coming from the incision site, but rather from an abrasion on the sack itself. It looked like a scab that was torn off and bled for a second and is now just raw. Neuter incision completely intact, and the cat seeming to be unphased and still purring/eating/drinking/pooping/etc, I decided to wait and call the vet again in the morning rather than go to the emergency vet (sidenote: I am quite dying of a cold right now and can barely get out of my bed, so I’m trying to make the best decision for everyone here).

Today, I get up and check on the cat and he is still completely fine, it just still looks like there’s some external abrasions on his sack and they’re raw. I spoke to the vet again today and they first told me that if the neuter incision is fine, not to worry, but then told me that he should be seen tomorrow just in case. Anyone who has worked with a feral cat probably knows what I mean when I say I only want to put him through that, possibly taking 1000 steps back in my socialization process, if completely necessary.

Has anyone seen this before? This is my first time TNRing (well, failed on the “release” part) and my other boys were neutered prior to me adopting them so I don’t know if scabbing or rawness is acceptable. I’ve attached some pictures.

ALSO: Pretty sure in one of these pics, you will be able to see the anus. After looking at the pic myself, I notice there’s a weird discharge around it? Separate issue I know, but any idea what that is? He is pooping normally, and at the vet he was dewormed (11 days ago). He is also on antibiotics for a convenient chronic upper respiratory disease if that helps. Thanks guys!

PS I’ll also attach a pic of his handsome mug, just for swooning purposes.

Attachments

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One sack looks bigger than the other... was it always like that? Or is it possible that it’s swollen and infected? I’d schedule a vet appointment if it starts leaking, looks red, or doesn’t heal within a few days. Maybe put a cone on him so he can’t get the scab off (although with a feral that might be out of the question).

The discharge around the anus could be clogged/leaking anal glands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One sack looks bigger than the other... was it always like that? Or is it possible that it’s swollen and infected? I’d schedule a vet appointment if it starts leaking, looks red, or doesn’t heal within a few days. Maybe put a cone on him so he can’t get the scab off (although with a feral that might be out of the question).

The discharge around the anus could be clogged/leaking anal glands.
Honestly, it’s pretty hard for me to get a good look down there considering he’s still semi-feral but I do see what you mean, one side does look a little bigger. I will mention that when I call the vet in the morning. I’ll try to get the cone back on him but it might not go too well. Thank you!