Neurological Problems After Anesthesia

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone:

My little Xica is a 11 y/o tuxedo cat, she was diagnosed with mammary tumor 7 months ago. She went under double mastectomy, the tumor was in the initial stage, it had not spread to the gangles and had a good recovery. A week ago after her regular check up, noticed two small bumps, they were really small, however, the doctor scheduled the removal, blood work was done(everything was ok) and the procedure was yesterday. The surgery was a simple process and everything was apparently normal, when she got out from the clinic. After arriving home she started walking in a strange way; crossing her front legs, one after another and the back legs separated. I called the vet and he said that it was part of her anesthesia recovery. Hours later, after eating and drinking water, she tried to go to the sandbox and could not stand there, she was stumping, so I supported her while she was urinating and then poo. After that she went to sleep, standing in sphinx position but her front legs had an abnormal position as if she could not hold them straight. Later that night she tried to go again to the sandbox, this time she stumbled several times and left out frustrated. She went to rest again. This morning she was holding one of her front legs, when I made her walk, she stood mostly sitting, like a kangaroo, with her hands retracted and when she tried to walk, she would lay one hand and retract the other, as if she could not put both hands at the same time on the floor. I took her first time this morning to the vet and when he examined her, the only thing that noticed was that her pupil reaction was minimal and very slow. She was left there, with corticosteroids and fluids. Apart of those symptoms, she has been eating well, drinking water and her brain seems to be fine: she can distinguish her food and where is the sandbox, etc. I'd really appreciate advice on this, has anybody had a cat with a similar reaction? Is something here enough to tell if it is a post-surgical cerebellar ataxia, a vestibular disorder or something else? I am currently living in Colombia, here the doctors have few tools and less cases like this. Any help will be really useful.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All cats react differently to anesthetics. That being said, it does sound like your baby is having an adverse reaction to the anesthetic and whether there's more to it is hard to say. Do you know specifically what type of anesthetic they gave your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The anesthesia was a mixture: dexmetomidine, propofol, isofluorane, (atipemazole and fentalyl for recovery, convenia as antibiotic)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and she are having to go through this. I don't have any better info, I just wanted to say that I'm hoping for you both that it wears off SOON. :( My Big Guy has had weird reactions to dental work anesthesia but the reactions didn't last. I'm sending good thoughts your way :vibes::redheartpump:

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and she are having to go through this. I don't have any better info, I just wanted to say that I'm hoping for you both that it wears off SOON. :( My Big Guy has had weird reactions to dental work anesthesia but the reactions didn't last. I'm sending good thoughts your way :vibes::redheartpump:
Thank you so much for your good wishes

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just came back from the clinic, I can see some small improvements in Xica's condition; her head has less trembling and she is sleeping more comfortable, also, her pupils are back to normal. But still is not standing on her front legs. The doctor says he suspect it is a tumor in her head that might be causing movement impairment. He says that if in three days she has not improved, there will be needed a MRI, which worries me because it needs full anesthesia again...

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am updating this thread because it might be informative for other users in the same situation. At this point Xica is doing much better; three days after the surgery she started walking almost normal, still has a little wobbly, drunken gait, but is using her four legs, moving her tail, purring and eating normally. Today, five days after the procedure, her motor skills keep improving.

The treatment has consisted basically of corticosteroids and anti-inflammatory medicine. Regarding the cause(s) of her condition; the doctor said there were two options; she might have micro-metastases in her brain which was exacerbated by the anesthesia or a stroke. Right now, the only way to prove the diagnoses was an MRI which I think would be too much hassle for her (she is 11 years old and had a total mastectomy 7 months ago and the test is done in another city, which imply a plane trip).

After reading the Brain tumor vs Stroke thread (Brain Tumor Vs. Stroke), I tend to think the problem was vascular or vestibular... To discard an underlying problem that could have caused a vascular problem, she is going to have heart and kidneys deep tested (her liver seems fine in her blood work).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update - what an unusual case! You are very generous for giving us updates - many people will find your experience interesting and valuable.
Prayers and vibes that Xica makes a full recovery!:vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update - what an unusual case! You are very generous for giving us updates - many people will find your experience interesting and valuable.

CatsLady59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joey, thank you for your support. It has been two months after the event and Xica is fine; no neurological issues and motor skills back to normal. She still has some head tilting when she is about to sleep, but is not really noticeable (I can see it because am checking on her all the time). The doctor says it still can be micro-metastasis on her brain or just a blood cloth formed on the anesthesia. Since her primary illness was mammary cancer, she has been just enjoying life and our shared time. This is going to sound cheesy but the support that I found here was important during this episode, thanks!

aumammabear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have given me a tiny amount of hope. My 16 year old cat went under yesterday and since I've had him home, this is now 17 1/2 hours after surgery time, he can try to drag himself around with his front paws, criss crossing them as you mentioned, but his rear legs are about useless. Yesterday he was kind of pushing with one of the back legs, but so far today not much going on with that even. I'm now having to wait for the vet..or ANY vet to open so that I can call and ask about how he is acting. He still won't drink and he hasn't even meowed. I've been giving him liquids with a syringe. This is heart breaking to watch. He went in for dental work as he had not been eating nor drinking hardly anything for about a week.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aumammabear aumammabear : :alright: I am so sorry that you and your precious boy are going through this - our geriatric cats are once again fragile, like when they were tiny kittens. It is good that you are keeping him hydrated - what fluids are you giving him? He might benefit from a goat milk formula or diluted canned baby food (no garlic or onions, so I use Gerber stage 2). The dental work may have left his mouth sore in addition to other post-anesthsia problems. You might want to start your own thread on this situation as nowadays, there are many more geriatric cats just as there are more centenarians.