Net Trapping: Experiences And Opinions

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat colony has about 30 cats, not all show up everyday, some I haven't seen for a couple of months now.
They're all fixed, all of them have been trapped with a Havahart trap cage, and all of them now know what that monster is, and would keep clear of it when they see it ready for a new trapping.

Now a female of the colony seems to be in need of veterinary attention, she lost nearly half of her weight, she's clearly unwell, though she moves and eats regularly.
Of course I won't be able to trap her with the usual trap cage, so I was thinking of a different method.
I thought of a drop trap, but it seems they're unavailable, even unknown, over here. The only person I know who has one has made it herself and it's heavy and not easily transportable.
I can find professional (foldable or collapsible) drop traps on the web from US or UK, but the costs are huge!

I was thinking of using a net, something like a fishing net, with a smaller mesh, with some weighs all around, so that I am able to throw it over the cat and catch her. She comes close enough to me, but she doesn't allow me to touch her.
Once in the net, I will quickly cover her with a blanket and move all together into a carrier. The vet will take care of undo the cat from the net when at the clinic.

Any experiences, tips, thoughts, opinion, etc?
Thanks!

Siamesina.jpg

As you can see, the poor cat has really wasted away in a few months, she's visibly thinner and her eyes are squint. She does need veterinary care!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your plan sounds excellent - clearly, you are a veteran trapper. I have often thought of net trapping. I haven't done it myself but a man that I know has used a deep sea fishing net to catch kittens (similar to the catch net that Animal Control uses). I know that some tribes use throw nets to hunt small game so it should work for a cat, too. And yes, she looks thin....prayers and vibes that you are successful in your efforts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme , thanks for considering me a veteran trapper.
I'd like to read if someone else has ever done something like that.
I would like to know if there's a kind of net which is better than the others, and what minimum size it must be to work effectively.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Trapping 30 cats certainly makes you an expert. I have never used a net myself and while I own a professionally made drop trap, I have never been successful with it. A friend in rural PA has frequently used a net just as catsknowme catsknowme described and has been very successful. I believe that my friend has a carrier ready and tries to drop the cat carefully inside immediately, sometimes cutting the net from the frame. Your poor cat does look ill and I hope it will be something treatable.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any shelters that can lend you a trap. I actually had an option to rent one, but decided to buy one and I lend it out to people who need it. I had to buy one because one of my indoor boys snuck out and was to scared to come to anyone even me. After 2 months I was lucky enough to catch my sweet boy. Nets work but a trap would be a better option. good luck

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trapping 30 cats certainly makes you an expert.
Thank you! :)

I believe that my friend has a carrier ready and tries to drop the cat carefully inside immediately, sometimes cutting the net from the frame. Your poor cat does look ill and I hope it will be something treatable.
When you say that your friends cuts the net from the frame, you mean a net with a long handle, like those used for fishing (or butterflies)?
My idea was to use a "free-standing" net, with nothing else attached apart from a few weighs at the edges to make it easier to throw.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any shelters that can lend you a trap.
What kind of trap?
As I said, I have a Havahart trap, that works fine, but no cat that has been in it once will ever go in it again. Unless it's a bit dumb :)
My trap has even been modified to trigger with a remote, so that I can choose what cat to trap.

Nets work but a trap would be a better option. good luck
I know, but as I stated, that cat will never walk into that monster again.
I was looking for a drop trap but it seems they're unavailable in this country.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can look online for trapping cats with a net I think I saw one once.
does she run when you approach? she does look pretty bad, it would seem she couldn't run too fast, but cats are quick.

too bad you can't get a drop trap, the cats I have trapped/neutered will eat out of a drop trap.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been looking at possible net traps. According to reviews on "throw traps" sold on Amazon , it's hard to use them on cats. You probably would have better results with a "purse net" trap but watching the videos, it would be more traumatic. I know that some cat rescuers use homemade drop traps routinely - I am hoping that someone here will chime in.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We use a large "spoon net" to trap ill or injured ferals. That's a net attached to a sturdy metal ring with a long handle which you can get at sporting goods stores. I honestly can't see a loose weighted net working much better than a blanket.

Do you have anybody who could help you? One person would have to work the net (pin the cat down with it) while the other holds the carrier in position, and both should wear heavy gloves, as it's tricky to transfer the cat from the net to the carrier. In extreme cases we've had to twist the top of the net closed, cut it from the frame, and put both the net and cat into the carrier.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can look online for trapping cats with a net I think I saw one once.
does she run when you approach? she does look pretty bad, it would seem she couldn't run too fast, but cats are quick.
I looked for videos, but none of them shows something like the one I thought. The only video with a net thrown on a "prey" was of a man who was catching cat-fishes in a river.
The cat I want to catch is wary, doesn't come too close, though on Saturday morning I had her at my feet. Had I had a net on that moning, I would have caught her easily.
She moves fine, though I haven't seen her running lately, so I could think she's slower than her usual.

too bad you can't get a drop trap, the cats I have trapped/neutered will eat out of a drop trap.
Yes, I can imagine. Did you buy a drop trap or you made it from scratch?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a large "spoon net" to trap ill or injured ferals. That's a net attached to a sturdy metal ring with a long handle which you can get at sporting goods stores. I honestly can't see a loose weighted net working much better than a blanket.
I think that a net gets a cat entangled in the mesh with claws and paws, while a blanket could allow a cat to slip under it to the closest edge.
The "spoon net" or "purse net" is what I have seen on the web, but I fear I need to be quick in swinging it and I know myself, I would be slower than needed, or even get stuck into a tree branch :lol:

Do you have anybody who could help you? One person would have to work the net (pin the cat down with it) while the other holds the carrier in position, and both should wear heavy gloves, as it's tricky to transfer the cat from the net to the carrier. In extreme cases we've had to twist the top of the net closed, cut it from the frame, and put both the net and cat into the carrier.
No, I think nobody could help me...
A blanket over the net with the cat in it should calm the cat down enough to move it to the carrier, anyway the heavy gloves is something I hadn't thought about, thanks! ;)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 . You are doing an excellent job of weighing the pros and cons of the various options. The "purse net" that I am thinking of is similar to an old-fashioned tiger trap with the net over an open pit; the net is loosely attached to a lift and the remainder spread out on the ground with bait in the middle; when the cat is relaxed while sitting in the middle, the lift snatches the net up into the air with the cat inside.
how to bob makes simple net trap for cats - Google Search

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme ,
Oh, now I understand.
Yes I had watched that video two days ago, but lifting a net laid on the ground with a bait in the middle requires that I have a point above the net where to run the lift around, like a beam or a branch, and this isn't always the case. This cat might be anywhere, under a tree or in an open space.
I am not sure I can know where she'll be beforehand, that's why I would need something that works everywhere, like a throw net.

What concerns me is that I haven't seen her in the last three days. She has been not well for quite some time now, so I don't think she's sick somewhere.
She is always (and I mean always) with another cat, I presume they're sisters even if they do not look alike, and the other cat too is missing.
Hopefully they're just having a holiday together and are back soon.

Yesterday I bought a large net, it's what (over here) is called a "hail net", a net to protect the vegetables in your orchard from hailstones. I haven't tried it yet and I still have to find the weighs to attach at its edges.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my drop trap drop from the feral cat coalition, they loan them out.

here is a video of a hand net

I think you should keep trying to find videos of the type of net you have.
do you have next door ap where you live, I would ask people for a drop trap if you can.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there was a youtube video somewhere about using a throw net to catch rabbits which seemed similar to the one sold on Amazon. The Amazon reviews said that it doesn't work well for ferals - I assume that is because as soon as you move your arms into throwing position, the cat will sense the movement and dart off.
I sure hope that the kitty returns soon. One of the most difficult aspects of dealing with ferals is when they need medical attention. I lost my blind kitty when he collapsed under an outbuilding that has an 8" crawlspace and I could not reach him without harming him more - I think that he had a stroke or some neurological disaster. It was tragic for me but nothing compared to what he endured; I had an "open" appointment at the vet for a humane euthanasia but it did no good.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so sorry to hear that! your a trooper!

keep asking questions Antonio we will try our best to help.
can you post a pic of the net you have?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my drop trap drop from the feral cat coalition, they loan them out.
I asked a few people from rescue groups, but none of them has it, neither do they know anybody who has it.

I think you should keep trying to find videos of the type of net you have.
Yes, I am keeping looking for videos, but they're only a few and always the same ones.

do you have next door ap where you live, I would ask people for a drop trap if you can.
Yes, the app is available here, but if somebody has it I should have known now. The only person I was referred to is a "crazy cat lady" (as she's been named) who has a drop trap that she made and is heavy and not easy to move or transport.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Amazon reviews said that it doesn't work well for ferals - I assume that is because as soon as you move your arms into throwing position, the cat will sense the movement and dart off.
I rely on the fact that this cat is a bit slower than a normal cat and sometimes she doesn't realize of what happens around her. I would only need a couple of seconds.

One of the most difficult aspects of dealing with ferals is when they need medical attention. I lost my blind kitty when he collapsed under an outbuilding that has an 8" crawlspace and I could not reach him without harming him more - I think that he had a stroke or some neurological disaster. It was tragic for me but nothing compared to what he endured; I had an "open" appointment at the vet for a humane euthanasia but it did no good.
Absolutely, feral cats seem they do not want to be helped. My greatest fear is that when they are sick, I can't do anything, unless they are so bad that I can grab them.
None of my cats lets me handle them... And I don't know why. After all I feed them every day and talk to them with nice words and compliments, I never hurt them.