Nervous. Need advice.

Leausername

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought in a feral, deaf cat that I had previously TNR'd. I have 5 other indoor cats. They're pretty jealous for my attention as it is. As of now, I have her closed away in my daughter's room. She's happy to see me when I come in the room, but is very nervous still. I can pet her and she purrs. She won't let me hold her and won't come onto the bed (there is a mirror on the opposite wall that freaks her out when she gets up there). It's been a month. Sometimes I sleep in there on the floor, so she can get used to me. I don't know how to introduce her to my huge, jealous house cats. How long is too long to keep her in the bedroom? How in the world do I let her out of the room without disaster? How do I introduce her to the other cats? I can't comfort or communicate with her in anyway with my voice, I've never dealt with a deaf (feral) cat. She's getting friendlier by the day. I still think this is better than her being outside. Ohio winters suck on top of her being ultra vulnerable.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing great. She can stay in there as long as she needs to if you give her attention. Vibrations are something she can feel so your voice may stil be detected to some extent. You could try sleeping in the bed. She might get up there in the dark when you are not moving around. I have had that happen with timid ferals.
To start introductions I would do it the same way as I would with any kitty. Smell and sight. A blanket that she has slept in can be put with the others and one they have slept on can be put with her. You can brush al kitties with the same brush to spread scent. (She is spayed and had a vet check? This should be done before introductions. If that is done and she is healthy you can proceed.) You can let the kitties start viewing each other in many ways. First just letting them see each other under the door or through a crack as you hold it open just a bit. Then move forward by using baby gates or, my choice , the wire shelving that you can purchase in lengths that can fit the hidght of your door and be hung to keep it in place. A screen door works too. Slow and going st the pace all kitties find comfortable is the way to go. Patience and treating all with equal love will get you through. I have worked with many ferals and posted to many others who have introduced ed new kitties. Every cat is different and I know that dealing with a deaf kitty is nerve wracking but she survived as a feral. She must have learned many ways to stay safe and she must be very smart. She’ll probably amaze you later with her skills
Please keep posting here with any questions as there are many who can be of help. Let us know how things are progressing and we’ll be able to update any suggestions. Thank you so very much for saving her. She is a very special kitty and you have kept her from suffering a very tough life there. My heart is with you all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leausername

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your much needed advice. Great idea with the swapping blankets and brushing them with the same brush! Should I feed the others ( A couple of them stalk her door) treats from under the door? It's my daughter's room, so it's so nice that she agreed to have a litter box, (litter scattered on the carpet, even when constantly vacuumed) kept in there. The kitty is fixed, she's had the shot that is required by law when I trapped, neutered, and returned her back outside. Should I have her fiv tested when I get her an examination? Also, how should I get her in the kitty carrier to take her to the vet without stressing her out too much?
I took her in last winter but it was a disaster. I had trapped her in my trap and brought her into my daughter's room. She was tiny and had had one (that I saw) or more kittens who didn't make it, she was like, 5 months old at this time. She wasn't as receptive to me as she is now. I bought (dinky, I didn't know at the time they sucked) locks for the door. In the middle of the night, my 18 pound cat broke through the door. I found them both under the bed. Poor Annie (stray) freaking out, hissing. Chloey (monster 18 pounder) just staring her down. No fighting, but after I got Chloey out of there with the handle of a broom, Annie stopped eating and started going to the bathroom under my daughter's bed. I even sprinkled dr elsey's cat attract additive (which has worked for other problem kitties) in her litter. Didn't help. I had to re-trap her from my daughter's room and put her back outside (thank God winter was ending). I was worried I wouldn't see her again, but after a week, she was back (plus, we put out a heated cat house for her, that helped, i'm sure). After much thought, and with another winter approaching, we decided to try it again. This time, we have a sort of relationship that we didn't have last time. I love her and she's getting the idea that she can trust me. I put a blanket on my lap and since it was cold, she came onto my lap. I folded the blanket around her and hurried into my daughter's room. Initially, she went to the bathroom under the bed, she was stressed. I bought dr elseys cat attract litter, and it seemed to help. I don't want to mess this up. Needless to say, there are stronger locks on the door this time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet to test as needed. It’s nice to be aware of the FIV for her sake but it’s mostly that you would need to keep her away from any sick cat than the other way around. FeLV is something I test for here. The vet will know what is needed before allowing shared contact. Our vet gives a test that checks for multiple things.
The carrier question is a great one. I found a great thing early on for ferals. I use a carrier as their house. I make it the place they like to go for safety, for naps, playtime, treats and as a result, if they get scared, they go straight to their carrier. Safe haven that goes wherever they go. Giving her treats there can get her started as well as putting a nice soft towel inside. Taking them to the vet is much easier and less stressful for them since they can immediately return to their safe spot. It’s like they have their own turtle shell to hide in. This has made our lives easier. A towel tossed over it for travel helps some of the kitties too.
As for giving treats under the door, they might think that the room is where they want to go and try to get inside again. I think I would offer the treats before going in and upon coming out for now. You can change it up later.
The litter box issue might be helped if you top it off with whatever she used outside. Sand leaves, straw etc. . That helped some of mine. They associated pine straw with going potty and in a few days I was able to remove the straw. Also, if she goes potty outside the box, put the poop in the box. She just needs to understand. Make sure to put a fairly deep amount of litter in the box and keep it scooped as much as you can after she used it. I have a couple of cats that scratch the litter everywhere! I found two solutions. One is a box with higher sides. I have some boxes under a low bed though so I got a kid’s wading pool from the dollar store and put a shallow box in that. Any scattered litter lands in the pool and everything slides out easily for me to access the box for cleaning. Any under the bed plastic storage boxes would work too.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad you came to The Cat Site! I can virtually guarantee that, no matter how strange/unusual/etc. your situation feels like - - - - I can almost guarantee that someone (or multiple someones) will have gone through what you're going through, and have some wonderful advice!!!! And having someone to talk to is so important. I have to leave but will log back in later tonight. I just didn't want you to think it was just you and Jcatbird Jcatbird alone in the dark (although if I HAD to go through things with the light of only one or two people - - - - Jcatbird Jcatbird is a great one to have on your side!!

I'll do my darndest to log back in in a few hours, when hopefully I can add more (more comfort at the very least!).

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve all had some love bites. Annie! Lol I still get some every once in awhile from excited kitties. (I had some scared kitty nips too! Ouch!) I love her sweet face! She reminds me of one of my babies here. Also a nipper! :redheartpump: