Nervous cat

Ilovemoggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on my cat who is 4 half years old, mainly indoor cat, and is the only animal in the home. I feel like he is being abused by my ex who comes round and outstays his welcome, as these episodes always coincide with his visits.
IMG_20210704_100455_481.jpg
Or it could be a coincidence. Firstly my boy had diarrhea which the vet wasn't really concerned about and shaved his bum area, as he is long haired. A few weeks after this he was scooting around and had an inflamed and very sore anus. He was given pain relief and a soothing cream for this, and also a spot on wormer from the vet. This week my boy stopped eating for 4 days and was hiding in the garden. The vet carried out a full blood check including liver/kidneys/blood cells which are all in fine working order. The vet said he thinks the cat has suffered a psychological trauma and gave him Mirtazipine. He has started eating again today but looks at me like I am a stranger and hides in the wardrobe. When he does come out of hiding he walks around the edges of the room. He has never been a lap cat but is normally quite affectionate with kisses and sleeping with me all night. Something has spooked the life out of him and it definitely wasn't me or another animal. What do you all think? Is my ex being abusive when I'm not around?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you have any doubt about what is going on during these visits, why don't you just tell your ex that your cat is experiencing some issues and the vet has asked you to observe him whenever possible - and, then not allow your ex visitation without you there. Tbh, if you feel this way about your ex, why are they allowed to visit your cat unsupervised anyway?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about putting up some cameras? Whether it’s your ex or something else going on when you aren’t around, maybe you can catch it on video.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's simple as informing your ex what he/she isn't welcome in your home anymore and making it stick as to me that sounds like stress related health issues.

I have two cats and one behaves like that when stressed by something or someone. Cameras also aren't a bad idea so you can see what's going on when you're not there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ilovemoggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies everyone. It has taken me a while to realise that several days after the ex has been round the cat ends up down the vet. It's a difficult situation as my ex is my only support, but if it's making my lovely cat ill then it's obviously not working. The weird thing is, the cat will greet him and seems pleased to see him. I have seen him swearing and waving his hand at the cat before and said it's inappropriate behaviour. Looks like I'll have to ban the visits.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies everyone. It has taken me a while to realise that several days after the ex has been round the cat ends up down the vet. It's a difficult situation as my ex is my only support, but if it's making my lovely cat ill then it's obviously not working. The weird thing is, the cat will greet him and seems pleased to see him. I have seen him swearing and waving his hand at the cat before and said it's inappropriate behaviour. Looks like I'll have to ban the visits.
:agree: