Nervous Cat With Bad Separation Anxiety

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my cat for a little over three months, and she's always had separation anxiety. I would however be able to leave her by herself for hours without incident until recently - she would be mad and ignore me for a while when I returned but nothing more serious than that.

She had a traumatic vet visit a couple weeks ago, and started acting differently. She stopped purring for me altogether and her urinary habits changed - she went from peeing two or three times daily to five or six times. I was concerned she had a UTI but she had no other symptoms, so I decided to observe her and see if things got better. I've been spending the better part of the last two weeks literally glued to her side, and have not left her by herself for more than ten minutes unless someone has been around to stay next to her.

She would go back to peeing normally whenever I was constantly by her side. In fact her bathroom habits have been perfect for the past five days, because I've spent pretty much every minute with her. I started trying to leave her alone for short periods of time yesterday, and noticed that she started peeing again when I'd leave her by herself. The peeing seems to be stress-related, since it clears up completely when she isn't anxious.

Feliway doesn't seem to soothe her anxiety, and she isn't interested in distracting herself with toys - the only toy she really enjoys is a wand toy she needs me to play with. She has plenty of places to perch and burrow but instead just sits in one place waiting for me to come back when I'm gone. Cat TV and music don't help either. I understand why she's so anxious, as her original owner got her when she was a kitten then dumped her when she was just a year old. She was really attached to this woman and is obviously afraid of something like this happening again.

I do need to start leaving her by herself at some point though, as being by her side 24/7 is not possible. What can I do though? It seems like all she wants is for me to be with her all the time, and refuses to accept any other alternatives.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! bless your heart for working with your baby!
Have you tried taking her outside, in a harness/leash, or a cat mesh tent? --Just a thought to maybe give her something else to think about...

What happens if you give her one of your tshirts or socks that you've worn?

Below I'll post a list of over the counter calming products since feliway is not the only item available, but there are also prescription meds that you could talk with your vet about if the otc products don't help.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway. There are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Thunderease has a diffuser and so does Sentry.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has a product as well.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be darned. Calm-o-Mile. If you can't find it, just brew a cup of chamomile tea from commerical tea bags (that's German, not English chamomile, you do NOT give English to cats), chill it, and give her 1-3 teaspoonfulls up to 3 times a day, via syringe. It is gently calming, but doesn't sedate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Furballsmom, thanks for the amazing response - so many options there that there must be one that works for her. I hope we can get to the point where she feels okay being left alone...I've known her for six months, lived with her for three, so maybe with time and effort we can get her calm.

Today it's exactly two weeks since her terrible vet visit, and she's finally at a point where she will purr when I pet her. I'm sure she'll only keep improving with everyone's awesome advice :)