Nervous about Trip

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Monday I have to leave for about a week. My best friend is going to check on them once a day to give them wet food (there is a timed kibble drop), check litter boxes (I have automatic) and fountain, and play with them.

And I'm a wreck.

Delilah is 4 and has been with me 2 years. She's met my friend twice but ran and hid. She's nervous around other people. Fancy is about 2 and has been with me for 6 months. She is more outgoing, but hasn't met my friend yet (She's coming Sunday).

I picked up pet cams. I have some clothes I can leave. They also have will have access to my bed 24 hrs (I don't let them sleep with me at night but they nap in my room during the day).

And I'm a total wreck about leaving them. I haven't been away from them for more than a night. I'm not worried about my friend. I'm worried about them. Mostly Delilah. I'm sure she'll hide when my friend comes. Fancy is more social in general.

And overall I don't want to leave them.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was that way the first-time years ago when I had to leave my two cats for a weekend trip. I set up pet sitting and so on. I was a nervous wreck the whole time I was gone. When I returned to my apartment and opened the door one was sitting on the table looking at me and the other asleep on the couch. Have faith. All will be well. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish this was a fun trip. I have to go to our main district office in Houston for curriculum writing (I teach k-5 computers for a charter school district).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright:. I can definitely relate! I used a retro answering machine with "caller screening" and would call when our pet-sitting friends were present. The machine was in the bedroom and the cats would go to its nightstand to hear my voice. The machine also had an "alternate OGM" feature that the sitter could play for them at any time.
The Manx & the rescues were delighted upon my return; the Maine Coon would ignore me for awhile - act as if I was nonexistent and couldn't be seen nor heard nor even felt & my personal items that he could access were found buried in his poop box (he didn't pee & poop in the same box; my vet says that cats often do that to keep the predator-attracting odors down). He was adept at pulling drawers & doors open, managed to detach a couple of baby proof latches. When I came home to a large lamp drug across the room and into his litter box (after losing some favorite books as well) I surrendered and began leaving out less valuable items like cheap hair brushes, yardwork clothing. He and I liked the arrangement.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think we all feel similar and can relate to what you're going through. Our cats bond with us and expect us to be there for them. Obviously we can't explain why we'll be gone or the length of time we'll be away. You're fortunate you have someone who will be able to come to your house so that the cats won't have to leave their familiar surroundings. Since it's your best friend you know she is reliable and trustworthy. Ask you friend to take pics or a video to send to you while you're gone. Also make sure she has the phone number and location of your vet, not to worry you but just in case. As long as the cats will be taken care of and looked after they will be okay. Yes, they will miss you but that means a happy reunion when you return. Best of luck and please feel free to update us after your trip. 🤗

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have left my cat for 2 weeks with someone checking on her. My friend never saw her, every time she was here she was either sleeping or hiding.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much. You have got a very good friend who will take care of the kitties. :)

I just recently came back from more than a month of vacay and left my 3 indoor cats with a cousin. My first few days away was also stressful, worrying about them. But my cousin regularly updated me and sent me photos. When I returned, it was as if I did not leave. They went straight to me and demanded for food and attention. LOL.

Safe travels.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so many of us can empathize with what you are going through! This may not be your situation, but it can be even more nervewracking if your kitty needs a daily medication that you will worry about while you are gone.

Probably a good thing is that you have some automatically timed things going on for your cats, like the food dish and an auto litter box. Your cats are probably used to this, and it will bring some regularity to their lives while you are gone. Cats are routinized animals, so it might be good to go over with your cat-sitter the types of routines you have with them (like when you wake up, when you normally interact with them, that kind of thing). I think cat-sitters have more luck actually seeing the cat in person while you are gone(!) if the sitter shows up at times of the day and night when there normally is cat-feline interaction for them. Your cat-sitter can somewhat replicate the daily patterns that you would have with them, if the sitter has time to do that. Does that make sense?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I left yesterday and I'm out in Houston. So I set up a couple of pet cams and I've spoken to them. They are still figuring out where the voice is. My friend is coming in the garage entrance, which is the way I always come in. She said Delilah looked at her, and went running into the bedroom under the bed. Fancy was out and about and demanding attention the whole time.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm home now. Pretty much the week went as above. Delilah hid when June came in, Fancy demanded pets and play.

I kept checking in via cameras. Most of the time Delilah was in the cat tree. Fancy discovered the camera on the shelf. Ignore the mess.

2047510122909075-1654051611687.png

When I got home, Fancy was demanding attention while Delilah was standoffish for all of 15 min.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Fancy and Delilah both acclimated somewhat and now that you're home they'll return to their normal routine. 🤗