Nerve Pain Or Itchiness In New Nubby Tail?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my mom says he is chasing his tail like he doesn’t recognize it. I think it is more likely that it is some mild nerve damage from him loosing his tail that is causing some mild pain or annoying itchiness. He is picking some of his hair off the tip of his new tail.
96686817-633D-4234-B7F5-05834CAA4386.jpeg
Does anyone have any experience with their cats going through this? What helped? Would low dose gabbapentin help him if it is nerve damage? *I have nerve damage and the random itching for no reason drives me nuts ..... and no amount of scratching makes it better. I have scratched myself bloody before and it still itched....... I have to force myself not to scratch and take my meds (gabbapentin included.) So if a adult can over scratch a kitty can over nip their itchy tail.
003D91A9-A32E-4F91-9C62-249052AB6041.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His tail was amputated Aug 2nd. Here is a picture of his newly healed tail on August 29th. I was told that his hair would grow back slower where the injury was.
F95D4324-AED5-40C4-827C-B8CAA69AC0CC.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
EITHER of those scenarios, or a combination of the two, is possible, actually. Although most cats adjust to the loss of a limb, and act as if it were never there to begin with very quickly. Phantom pain is a real thing. A very real thing. I'd give your vet a call, and ask if there is something that might relieve this.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to be doing better with his tail. Here is a picture of his tail with fur (I get to see him this weekend.) So hopefully better pics plus the minions can practice wearing their Halloween costumes.

556D62CE-CDE1-4017-B3E4-63A56195CC60.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well installing flooring prevented me from costume pics but I did get some nice outdoor pictures. No more weird tail tip biting but he no longer likes the scoop method of being picked up or when you support him by his tail base. He does a small complaining meow. I can hold him belly up and get zero complaints (he early meows.) personally now that his tail has fur I think he has a pretty tail but I’m biased.

Do you think he is still having nerve pain/ needs to see the vet?

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think he needs to see the vet again, but I do think there's still some phantom pain. Their tails and spines are really sensitive, and it could be that holding him supported by the base of the tail could trigger the pain. Mingo is very sensitive about his tail and he won't let me put much pressure on the base of his tail either.