Neosporin??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a quick question, I have some Triple Antibiotic Ointment I got a few months ago from the vet for my cats eyes when they were goopy and runny. Just now I was looking at the tube and realized it is the exact same thing as Neosporin. Same ingredients and amounts and everything. So does this mean I can just use Neosporin if she gets some runny eyes again?

I was also using this cream on my persian who normally has the runny eyes and it works great. Can I just use Neosporin when this tube runs out since its the same thing? I never thought of putting neosporin around the eyes like that. I only use it about once a week, even less, on my Persian. Just when his eyes get really runny, I clean them and put this stuff on. Sometimes I wipe with warm water or a kleenix with some clear eyes on it first.

If anyone knows what i'm talking about please let me know what you think. I just want to make sure I am taking care of his eyes ok. Thanks.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm I have a tube of both here the triple antibiotic cream I have is Vetro-Biotic. Both tubes explicity say do not use in eyes. So, no I would not use neosporin near or in your cat's eyes. If the antibiotic cream you got from the vet is a neoplycin which is strictly for the eyes then keep using that.

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The difference between an ordinary ointment and an opthamalic ointment will not be in the active ingredients (the stuff they list on the package) but in the ointment base. An ordinary ointment base will not be suitable for use in the eye, and an opthamailic base less useful for skin application.

Edit: It's like the difference between Benadryl cream and the pill, both have the same active ingredient, but you can't rub a pill on your skin very effectively and you wouldn't want to gulp down a tablespoon of cream (would you?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The triple antibiotic ointment is an opthalmic ointment, it says so on the tube. And Neosporin says specifically do not use on eyes like Hissy said. So i guess that would mean no right there. I figured something like what Catfur said, there must be something different to make one safe for eyes and the other not. I was just curious because they have the same ingredients, they are both creams, both look the same. I could just ask the vet for sure. Thanks.

muthaboared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I use regular triple antibiotic neosporin (no menthol, or pain relief ingredients!) to treat pink eye in my cats and rabbits, it is the same thing