Neon Cat Litter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw this in the Target flyer for this week: Neon Litter - The Best Cat Litter - Your Cats Will Rave

It's crystal cat litter that is available in several neon colors. It's clearly marketed towards people. Cats couldn't care less what color their litter is :dunno: Colored litter would also make it hard to detect any blood in urine or poop especially the neon pink colored one.

The company claims that the litter only needs to be scooped twice a week for a single cat. Is that generally true for crystal litters? Or does the litter box still need to be scooped daily to keep finicky cats happy?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd personally put it into the same category as cat foods with added vegetables. Something people think is good or interesting but doesn't really do anything.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our members in Europe have been using crystal litters for some time. Maybe they could weigh in about this. If it is dust-free and controls odor, I'd be willing to try it.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you have to scoop out poop from crystal litter, but it didn't smell bad or leave puddles or liquid for days. bigger than regular cat litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd personally put it into the same category as cat foods with added vegetables. Something people think is good or interesting but doesn't really do anything.
Yeah, the color doesn't do anything but make the litter look pretty to people who have to scoop out the waste :dunno: Are there really people out there who need colored litter to coordinate with the rest of the house or something?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the reviews they list says it adds "excitement and fun" to the litterbox. Why is the world does a litterbox have to be exciting? The fact that cats go to the bathroom in a box instead of all over the house should be exciting enough on its own. Maybe it's supposed to make it easier to convince kids to clean the box?
It also says food coloring is used to dye the crystals. Does that mean there's a chance of this staining a light colored cat or light colored carpet the litter is tracked on?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the reviews they list says it adds "excitement and fun" to the litterbox.

Fun and exciting for whom? The cat who just wants to pee and poop on something? Or for the person scooping? I'm guessing the latter but why does adding color make it fun and exciting over regular non-colored litter? :headscratch:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it's kinda more interesting than regular colors, lol. I might look cool if the box is in plain sight.

Yes, it will stain the litterbox (and maybe the cat) if it gets too wet---I use crystal litter for my 19-year-old and she pees a lot (bad kidneys) so her litterbox is all blue on the bottom (the litter has some blue crystals mixed with the plain ones). If you clean it often enough and don't have a cat with kidney disease, it shouldn't get wet enough to stain.

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my hunt for a good litter the small crystal one stood out by miles. There are different sized crystals. The larger size pissed Gustav off. He was not a fan.
They like it, use it, and it doesn’t have that litter box nasty smell. Economically it seems more expensive, but it isn’t because a bag lasts longer than the big tidy cat buckets. I clean it twice a day at the very least, sometimes more. The smaller sized crystals in comparison to the bigger crystals are dusty if you use a sifting pan. Not so if you scoop. That is a down fall if you wish to get in and out rapidly. So yes to crystals from this corner. Small ones.

Neon, well uhm, not interested and sounds like poor marketing. Or rather marketing to people that think cats are things rather than intensely complicated living creatures who deserve love and respect.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it's the same concept as colored paper bedding for small animals or colored fish tank gravel, especially if a kid is involved :think:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, the color doesn't do anything but make the litter look pretty to people who have to scoop out the waste :dunno: Are there really people out there who need colored litter to coordinate with the rest of the house or something?
I would like to say no but..... I had someone offer me their dog when they got a new couch because "the dog didn't match the furniture anymore." Some people do need the color coordination in their life.

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to say no but..... I had someone offer me their dog when they got a new couch because "the dog didn't match the furniture anymore." Some people do need the color coordination in their life.
Omg! I am not a dog person, but thank ( insert preferred higher power here ) that dog lives somewhere else and not with the couch mongers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did anyone else see this on the website for the product?

Litter art? Really? :rolleyes2:

I didn't see that but really??? Just more marketing gimmicks to get people to buy the litter. If people want to create "art", they can buy one of those zen garden kits with the sand and little rake and create art to their heart's content. There is no point at all to create pretty pictures in a litter box :headshake: Do people really need / want to FB / Instagram / whatever the pictures they create in a litter box??

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't see that but really??? Just more marketing gimmicks to get people to buy the litter. If people want to create "art", they can buy one of those zen garden kits with the sand and little rake and create art to their heart's content. There is no point at all to create pretty pictures in a litter box :headshake: Do people really need / want to FB / Instagram / whatever the pictures they create in a litter box??
It's ridiculous. Do they want us to also post pictures of the cat's "critique" of our artwork? If it's just OK, they give us a #1, if it's pretty bad, we get a #2 and if it's awful, we get both? :lol:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I don't know. All products have their downfalls, but why not have a sense of fun about this? As mentioned above, it might be fun and/or encouraging for kids learning how to take care of cats. I don't use crystal litter, but what the heck -- if you are a business, why not try it and see what sells and what doesn't? I have nothing against being an entrepreneur.

edit: I just saw that this was introduced by the company (Ultrapet) back in 2016, so my guess is that someone is buying it, for it to have remained as an ongoing product the last three years.
A Breath of Fresh Air

Last edited:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a whole page of "litter art." It's awful. It'll last a whole 2 seconds until the cat uses the box. I'm sure it helps convince some kids to clean the box, but I can imagine a kid spending forever on litter art and screaming at the cat for ruining it, potentially causing inappropriate elimination from fear of using the box. Then kitty goes to the shelter because they think something is wrong with it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But why would any parent let their kid draw art in a dirty bacteria laden litter box (cat toilet)???:confused2: Give the kid a box of play sand to draw in or something.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume the art is just for when you clean the box and it's all fresh. Everything has to be Instragram-worthy now, doncha know :D.

Eh. Why does the regular crystal litter have blue bits in it? Humans are highly visual creaturesand have esthetic preferences so it's not that weird.