Neighbours elderly cat is living on my doorstep.

Rey28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m very new here but in need of some advice.

I moved into a new house in April and within a few days a scruffy cat kept appearing by my car when i got home from work. I gave her a bit of a fuss but nothing more and never any food.

I have learnt that this cat is 17 and lives down the road, the family also have 3 dogs and two younger cats.

She has now gone from following me home every day to sleeping on my doorstep all through the night. she also paws at the locked cat flap and howls ☹ She is always soaked to the skin when i get home and it has been raining.
I’m worried that as she is old she may be forgetting to go home for food or just forgetting where she lives.
I have spoken to her owners to let them know where she is if they can’t find her, apparently she moved out when they got the dog and never wants to go in their house, she lives under their hedge or in the garage sometimes. They didn’t seem bothered that she was rarely going home.

I just don’t know what to do. I am aware she has an owner but I hate seeing her soaking wet and looking sad on my doorstep. She is an old lady who should be curled up somewhere warm.
Any advice please.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the owners have said that the cat "moved out" after getting the dog, and they don't seem bothered by it at all, I would take it in. I'm not sure of your personal situation and if you can take it in but the cat obviously has chosen you. And considering the complete disregard towards this cat from it's "owners", I think it's safe to say that they probably won't mind if you do.
If you can, please take it in, or perhaps, at least provide it some sort of warm dry shelter until you can figure out what to do.
Relying on the "owners" to do something will not happen, that has already been established IMO, but you could approach them again to get their "permission" to take the cat.
If you choose to take this cat in, I would also take this cat to the vet. I hate to sound pessimistic, but I wonder if they have simply put the cat out due to some age related illness that they don't want to care for. Does the cat seem a little underweight?
I hate people sometimes....:(

Thank you for caring about this precious senior.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor old girl it sounds like her owners don't care at all, If your not in a position to take her in you could contact animal welfare or cat charity groups they might be able to advise you on what to do help in some way. A cat charity is probably the best they try not to put old cat's down. I hope you get this sorted soon At least someone cares about her. Thankyou.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, please...if you are able, take this poor old lady in. She deserves better than her "own" family is apparently willing to do for her. She's living with you now, and breaking your heart daily. You'd both be far, far happier if she just stayed.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the OP doesn't want the scruffy cat, in which case the suggestion by Tik cat's mum makes perfect sense. If this were a kitten, the problem would already be solved, but the sad reality is that not everyone wants a scruffy older cat with possible health issues. Hard on the cat, yeah, but the OP is not to blame for this situation, just the uncaring "owners."

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If bringing her inside isn't a solution that you can make work, here's a thread that might help you make her an outdoor shelter so at least she's protected from the rain.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
poor old cat, she has chosen you for a reason, this poor old cat chose your house and you as she knows you are a safe place for her. If this poor cat moved herself out because of the dogs and the owns dont care about her , then you are given the green light to take her in.

She is 17 years old and i am sure this old lady stayed with her owners for that long, she loved them, and never left their side but her owners chose to abandon her. This old lady cat doesnt deserve to be treated like that by her owners, and i feel she deserves to be loved for a little longer until she goes, by someone she trusts and that is you. That is why she sits on your door step and greets you.

Please provide her a warm comfortable place in your house, garage or laundry and look after her, even if its for a few more years of her life, i am sure this lady cat will bring you some joy and love and will appreciate you being kind to her.

12 years ago my cat leo was in a similar situation, he showed up in my backyard and stayed, i came to learn that the neighbours had dogs and i guess he moved himself out to my house. I fed him every now and then and he eventually stayed for ever until january 2019 this year he got ill and was sent over the bridge. He was the most affectionate and loving cat i ever met and i am glad i chose to look after him.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like this cat is terrified of the dog or there’s too much going on in that house. Let the cat in feed it give it a bit of affection if that’s what suits you. It also sounds like they don’t seem all that interested in that cats well-being. Some people are like that, when something is not new and pretty any more they are no longer interested in it.
Senior cats also have other needs and issues so there are some good articles on this website to look into. It’s a hard call, think about it But I know I would find it difficult to turn away what sounds like a nice affectionate cat.
Good luck

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah i'd unlock the cat flap, setup a litterbox & eating area if its not gonna get me evicted.
cats can sense things things about humans i've had cats tell me girlfriends are bad n cat was right, if a guy friend is mean or nuts my cat will tell me immediately.
this kitty can sense she is safe with you

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the responses are unanimous!! If you are in a position to bring her into your home, permanently, by all means please do, but let the those people know that you will love and take proper care of her, INDOORS. She is elderly and probably won't make it out of doors through the winter. If you are able, please talk to these people and bring her in for comfort, love and warmth for the rest of her life. ;)