Neighbour's cat…

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, apologies, I know this must be a regularly discussed topic, but my partner and I don't know what to do, so some friendly advice would be gratefully appreciated.

We moved into our house three years ago and pretty much every day since, the black and white cat who lives two doors down has visited and miaowed to be let in. My partner remembers talking to the owner that first day, and the owner saying "he's always been in and out of your house with the last owners, if he annoys you, throw him out, but please don't feed him". So that's what we've done, allowed him into our homes and hearts. He is the most affectionate, sweet and good natured cat I've ever met. Loves lap time, purrs like crazy whenever he's near us, drips with pleasure, and kneads the sofa or blanket. He follows us around the house and even comes and sits on the side of the bath when we're in it. Put simply, it's love, and it's mutual.

His owners have another older female cat, who he sometimes defends our garden from, as well as a small dog, two teenage children and a recently arrived new kitten. It seems obvious to me that he likes our house because he's the king of the castle and not disturbed. We've never fed him, and we don't let him sleep over, as much as we'd dearly love to, so we have this routine where before we go to bed each night, we sit him by the open back door (we don't have a cat flap) and wait for him to leave. This worked fine initially. He spends anywhere between 4 and 12 hours a day here, and we presume he goes home for food and sleep, but increasingly in the summer the poor boy seems to have become confused and miaows and cries incessantly outside our windows and doors through the night. It is utterly heartbreaking. We don't know what to do and for some reason he doesn't go home. If we relent and let him in every night to sleep, that feels like crossing the line and stealing their cat, but it feels cruel to leave him outside crying, and besides anything else we'll never get any sleep. We've heard his owners playing with him and calling his name in their garden, so he is clearly going back their at some stage.

The problem would never have prevented itself if we already had a cat flap, as he'd just let himself in and out at leisure, but fitting a cat flap to enable your neighbours' cat to have access seems unethical and borderline crazy. I guess we need to front up and speak to the neighbours - we both keep ourselves to ourselves and rarely see each other and my partner and I are deeply conflict averse, and we fear their solution may be simply to say "don't let him in anymore", or shoo him away if he tries to get in, which I'm not sure we'd have the heart to do. Perhaps that's selfish of us, though. What would you do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your position I would speak to your neighbour and explain the situation. Tell them you are very attached to the cat and wonder if there was a possibility that you could keep him. The other possible solution is to tell your neighbour that he constantly cries outside your window at night and would they object to you putting in a catflap. The chances are that the cat will still come back and fro between your two houses no matter where he is supposed to live.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But to answer one question directly, NO, not crazy. Not at all. LOL, it is JUST the sort of thing I would do...but then, I was outside half the night last night in a hurricane digging a strayed cat out from under some bushes, and getting him in a safe place!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your neighbors have no idea whether or not you have a cat flap I would install one and then just go from there. He comes in at will and you don't mind, that sort of thing. So sad, too bad, the flap was there. If that is not a possibility, I would talk to them. It is actually better if you are not prone to confrontation as you will get a lot further being low key and better able to manipulate the conversation to where you want it to go. Offer to adopt him. They have a full house....two kids, two cats, and a dog. Don't put it that way to them, but I agree that offering to adopt him, or at least "share" him which means he is your cat at the end of the day should be workable.

I have "shared" animals over the years in similar situation.....of course, in my mind they instantly became my cat, but I always agreed that we were sharing until I could wrap up the situation.

I am currently "sharing" a TNRed cat, not TNRed by me so I don't know the history, who lives in an alley behind some apartments and might belong to some tenants....nice enough people who put out food semi-regularly. Cat does have shelter given the configuration of the building. I now notice that they don't feed regularly and go away more often for the weekend, so I am slowly taking over until I can get the cat. They are a young couple and I told them up front that I would also feed the cat which they now seem to appreciate. It is fine with me that I control the situation.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If we relent and let him in every night to sleep, that feels like crossing the line and stealing their cat,
You can't really steal a cat. The cat steals you.

(Okay, if you break into someone's house and kidnap their indoor-only cat, fine, that's stealing a cat.)

A cat that's let outside goes where it pleases. It knows no ownership of anything, least of all itself. What it has is what it wins, through either ferocity or cuteness. Looks like it won you with cuteness. It stared into you, and mind controlled you into opening your home. I fail to see how that's you doing anything.

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree to try to adopt him and keep indoors...you can have visitation days with the neighbors. Cat flaps can invite other cats and critters into your home...you don't want that kind of confrontation in the middle of the night. You might offer him a secure elevated covered cat shelter outside your house to escape at night to if he's bothered by the commotion next door.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely in favor of talking to the neighbors about taking over ownership. We had an outside cat that would NOT come in, that a neighbor tried to 'take' even though she knew the cat was ours. I hated that the cat was outside but it was uncomfortable and created tension with the neighbor all the way up up until we moved :3

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's your home, you can install a cat flap if you want. You can even get one that activates with a microchip (if he has one,) preventing other animals from entering. If they ever ask, say you were planning to get a cat at some point.

But, I agree with just asking your neighbours if you can have him. It doesn't have to be confrontational at all - make it about you, how much you've grown attached to him, love him and see him as part of your household. You can offer them financial compensation under the guise of vet fees they must have spent on him in the past, make concessions like "of course we'd want you to still be involved in his life and visit him all the time" or whatever. And that you totally understand if they're not comfortable with that, you feel silly asking but you love him so much.

I accidentally did this, btw. I took in a cat I thought was a semi-feral stray (in my defense, I had a lot of stray rescue / TNR experience and am pretty good at spotting whether a cat is owned, feral or stray at a glance.) She would come to my house every single day and hang out with me for hours. I fed her and slowly gained her trust enough to pet her. Once day she didn't show up until midnight and I was so worried I decided to bring her indoors. I gave her 6 months indoors until I felt comfortable bringing her to a vet - imagine my surprise when the microchip scanner beeped and I realized I'd stolen someone's cat. Turns out she was indeed part of a backyard TNR project and had not been terribly missed - the lady let me keep her. Overall it was a positive experience for all. It sounds like your neighbours have a lot going on and don't spend much time with him and they may be happy to let you take him. Worst case they say no and you continue on as you have been as his pseudo-owner.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't an "answer" per se, but an anecdote. Two locations ago, my ex and I took it upon ourselves to spay/neuter/innoculate and feed all of the "community cats" we could. There were many. Fortunately, we were financially able to do this. We built a complete fence and gate around the house. We couldn't cat-fence it at the time, but at least this provided some safety. *We already had our multicat rescued family indoors.* All of the adult and sub-adult cats were adopted by us and became part of our family. Kittens were taken by a rescuer/adopter I knew and trusted, and were adopted.
There was one cat who had a skin ailment we could not cure with the treatment our vet gave us. I called Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT and was able to get him in there. He was successfully treated there and eventually adopted by a wonderful woman who is still a dear friend. He eventually passed, after a lifetime of love and excellent care. I did find out from neighbors who loved and cared for cats but had little financial wherewithal and let their cats out, unfixed, that he had been a member of their household. I apologized, and told them his happy story. We were able to help two of their other cats who needed medical attention, and they were neutered and innoculated as well.
We had made the plan that any cat coming into our yard would be spayed/neutered/innoculated and fed/watered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. After a couple of sleepless nights where our little friend turned up outside at 1/2am and cried desperately to come in for the rest of the night, we need to do something. In light of the social distancing that's happening in the UK, we don't feel it's going to be terribly effective to try to retell the whole story by knocking on their door, retreating to two metres and shouting down the driveway, so like the cowards we are, we're going to pop a note through their mailbox, run away and await a response. As cat owners, how would you react to receiving something like this?

Hi xxxx,
We hope you and the family are keeping well in these strange times and managing to enjoy the summer. xxxxx and I have both been furloughed on and off since March and I've now been made redundant, so we've been spending a lot more time at home. With that in mind, we think we need to talk to you about your lovely black and white cat. Since we moved in nearly three years ago, he's visited our house pretty well every day - miaowing to be let in at the living room doors or wandering in for a snooze on the sofa if they're open. You mentioned when we moved in that he spent a lot of time here with previous owners, and to be honest we don't mind at all because we're both animal lovers and he's such a sweet, affectionate cat. We haven't really encouraged him in, but at the same time it's hard to say no when he miaows at the door.

Things have changed over the summer, though. Because we're at home a lot more, he's here for many hours every day. We think he likes it because he's the only cat here. We have never once fed him, and we don't let him sleep over at night because we don't want him to get confused about where home is and we don't want to steal your cat! We don't have a cat flap, and the problem is, every night through the summer he's started coming back at 1 or 2 in the morning and crying outside the windows and doors desperately to get in all night. We're not getting much sleep, it seems so unfair on him, and we don't know how often he's going home.

We don't think after all these years, just trying to ignore him or shooing him away when he turns up every day is going to be effective - and it feels cruel. We'd miss him terribly too, but he's part of your family, you obviously love him very much and we don't want to steal him! So we wondered if you've got any ideas on what we should do that would be best for (xxxxx) and work for everyone? We've thought about leaving a window open for him, or even paying to install a cat flap so he can come and go as he pleases and doesn't howl through the night. But that might further confuse him about where lives, and at the end of the day, he's your cat, not ours, so please let us know what you think we should do.

Maybe we could have a socially distanced chat on the driveway, you could pop a note back through our door, or our phone numbers are xxxx and xxxx, if you'd prefer to send us a message.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats good, very polite, states the facts and makes no demands. You are asking for their input and have made a suggestion about the possibility of a catflap. If they are reasonable people they will see that your thought is about the welfare of their cat, nothing else. I hope they contact you and you find a solution that benefits everyone. Please let us know.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, but rather long. No urge so strong, for a writer (that's me) as to edit / revise / alter someone else's text! Here's my take.

Hi xxxx,
xxxxx and I would like to talk to you about your lovely black and white cat.

We've been spending a lot more time at home, having been laid off / made redundant in these covid-19 times. Your cat visits our house pretty well every day since we moved in three years ago - miaowing to be let in at the living room doors or wandering in for a snooze on the sofa if they're open. We don't mind at all because we're both animal lovers and he's such a sweet, affectionate cat.

We don't feed him, or let him sleep over at night because we don't want him to get confused about where home is. The problem is, this summer, every night, he's started coming back at 1 or 2 in the morning and crying outside the windows and doors desperately to get in for the night. We're not getting much sleep, it seems so unfair on him, and we don't know how often he's going home.

We've thought about leaving a window open for him, or even paying to install a cat flap so he can come and go as he pleases and doesn't howl through the night. But that might further confuse him about where lives, and at the end of the day, he's your cat, not ours, so please let us know what you think we should do.

We hope you and the family are keeping well in these strange times and managing to enjoy the summer. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats good, very polite, states the facts and makes no demands. You are asking for their input and have made a suggestion about the possibility of a catflap. If they are reasonable people they will see that your thought is about the welfare of their cat, nothing else. I hope they contact you and you find a solution that benefits everyone. Please let us know.
We will! Fingers crossed…

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last two nights the crying was endless. Eventually relented and let him in. He shot up the stairs and plopped himself down on our bed and slept through til morning. Tried encouraging him out in the morning but he ran straight back in and has been asleep on the sofa ever since. Now I'm worried he's not going home to eat. We discussed just going ahead and putting in the cat flap to save our own sanity, but it doesn't feel right, and if we aren't feeding him, it still doesn't solve the problem, other than stopping the night time crying. Seems we have to go ahead and put the note through the door. I feel so anxious that it's going to go badly…

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you take pictures of the cat peacefully sleeping and send them along?