neighbours cat

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a few days back, i had the back door open while cooking, and the neighbours cat 'feline', entered, i shooed it out, and whilst closing the door the cat hissed.

The cat, then continued to sit outside my back door, intially sat upright outside the door, about a metre away,trying to peer in thru the curtain, and then stretched it self out outside the door as if it was guarding the place.

Last week i was out in the garden,cutting the grass, and it just sat in my garden, say about two meters away watching me.

However

Yesterday i was out in the garden on two seperate occassions, and the neighbours cat noticed my presence, from his suitors garden, and started running towards me at high speed, just as i was making my way back in.

Is the behaviour a tick for tack, based on me shooing, the cat out a few days back, or is this about territory, moved in about a 6 weeks ago, and there has been no issues up until yesterday.

I have seen the sed cat in my garden, along with two others, one male and another female, from the same household, and i have let them roam and sit on the porch, without disturbing, shooing or jestering them.

I have also noticed that there are now three kittens, who have started venturing into my garden, all five were in the garden, yesterday,the mother is the same cat in questions.

Just need some advice on what to do next, inform the neighbour, use some form of repellent, i.e. water pistol,coffee beans or citrus, a friends dog etc, offer it food to build trust, without any form of petting

an insight into the behaviour would also be appreciated

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you want this cat to come into your yard?

If it's your yard, it's your right to decide who or what is allowed to come to your property. You can make friends with it or feed it if you want to. If you don't want this cat (or others) to come to your yard, it's your right to scare it away. (Scare. Not hurt!)

You can stomp your feet at it, make loud noises, wave your arms and yell, "Go away!" Once the cat (or cats) get the idea that you are not friendly, they won't come around when you are outside. There's nothing that the neighbor who owns the cat can say to your because it's your property and you haven't done anything to hurt the cat. You only hollered at it.

If you don't want the cat(s) to come to your property at all you'll have to use some kind of cat repellent.

You can buy an outdoor animal repellent called "Critter Ridder".

It's not harmful to cats and other small animals but it's supposed to smell bad enough to make them stay away.

You can also use household ammonia. Just pour it in a line, on the ground, around the perimeter of the places you don't want the cat to go. Cats don't like the smell of ammonia and will walk a wide circle around it. However, DO be careful! If a cat gets ammonia on them it can hurt them and, if they eat it, they can get sick. Make sure that you put it in places where cats can't access it, like under the porch, etc.

You will have to replenish your repellent, every so often, because it wears off with time and, if it rains heavily, it will get washed away.

If you really want to get medieval, you can set up a lawn sprinkler that sprays the lawn in the areas where you don't want the cat to go. Whenever you see the cat, turn the sprinkler on. A wet cat is an unhappy cat.

A more high-tech approach is to buy an electronic, motion activated sprinkler that automatically turns on when something comes into view of it's electric eye.

It's automatic so the cat won't spook when it sees you running for the spigot to turn on the water but it also costs about $60.00 (US)

All of these things will help keep unwanted animals out of your yard and these things won't hurt the animals in the process but you're also going to have to be consistent about it until the animals get the hint and stay out of your yard.

Honestly, if it was my call, I'd make friends with the cat but I wouldn't feed it. Pet it, talk to it, make friends and play with it if you like but, if you feed it or let it into your house, the cat will think that your property is part of its territory and it will come around all of the time.

If the cat's not hurting anything, just leave it alone or make friends... whichever you like best. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
J japam as you've only recently moved into the area the cat may be either used to seeing your house empty, and regards your yard as part of his territory, or else was friends with whoever lived there before. If the cat isn't causing any problems I suggest you just ignore him.

Any kind of repellent that you use or cat deterrent you decide to try is going to cost you money and take a lot of time to set up and maintain. There is a risk that the cat could get sick from some repellents. What's more, it's going to deter birds and other wildlife from your garden, which will make having a garden a bit boring.

Don't feed the cat. Cats have allergies, sometimes need special diets, sometimes need medication with their food. If the cat already belongs to someone it's not a good idea to teach him he can get food from you too. Starving stray cats are another matter, but if these cats look healthy and well fed please don't feed them.

If you're a cat lover and want to make friends you could try petting him. Only very friendly cats will tolerate being touched by people they don't know though. All of mine are way to nervous of strangers to let anyone else touch them.

But if they're not doing anything that really causes problems for you just leave them be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's only the one cat, the has an issue with me, just recently.
Previously this cat would be within 2 metres of me and not be bothered, if i was doing some work in the garden, while the rest would be at least 10 metres [the other female and male].

Since it set foot in to my property, i was inside at the time and i shooed it out, the behaviour changed, the rest of the cats will scamper say 10 metres away, if they hear the door unlocking or opening.

Even this morning, as soon as it heard the back door unlocking [door still shut], it scampered from the neighbours garden, distance covered 12 to 15 metres towards my door, perched upright initally and then sitting on feet in a rest state.

The fact that it stops whatever it is doing to scamper over, is what has stoked my interest, since yesterday morning on 4 seperate occassions. My persumption is it see's me as threat, from our encounter mentioned above, and as such this is some sort of a stand off.

I haven't opened the door, just moved the locks to the open position on each occassion,my concern is it will either try to run inside or spring a attack, and rather than resort to methods and create an enemy, live and let live.

The cat looks overall healthy, although it hair, over his back,if thats what u call it is thinning, it does have a collar, the only one out of the three adults.
I am not a cat lover per se, although i spent alot of my childhood around my mates siamese.

I have witnessed that this particular cat is territorial, this morning it ran of a bigger white cat from the neighbours garden and about 12 days ago, it done the same to a cat of similar breed at the foot of my garden, whilst the rest just watched on.

I don't mind the cats, three adults, who where on the property from day one and now three kittens, who have ventured into my garden in the last 3 days, and in all instances, i have left them to their own devices.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My persumption is it see's me as threat, from our encounter mentioned above, and as such this is some sort of a stand off.
No, cats don't behave like that. If the cat thinks you are a threat he will run away from you. He won't try and attack you (Unless he's cornered and he thinks it's a life or death situation)

He sounds like he's curious about you and probably quite a friendly cat.

I have witnessed that this particular cat is territorial, this morning it ran of a bigger white cat from the neighbours garden and about 12 days ago, it done the same to a cat of similar breed at the foot of my garden, whilst the rest just watched on.
That's typical cat behaviour. They don't like strange cats in their territory and will chase them away. If he is the father of the kittens he is quite naturally protective towards his family.

Have you met your neighbours, his family, yet? Maybe now is a good time to go around and say hello to them. It's always best to be on good terms with your neighbours. Then if the cat does become a problem in the future you can bring the subject up with them as friends, rather than strangers.

:)

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are not formally introduced, although whilst i was shearing the garden, with shears, waiting to get my grass trimmer sorted about 10 days ago, the family, mum,dad and daughter, where by their back door watching me shear and i just said hi.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that he is bored, curious and perhaps willing to be friendly. A hiss when shooed out just means "stop that'. I also agree that you need to decide what sort of relationship you want.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanx for all the replies, i thinking moving forward i will just try to make friends with her outside, without feeding, any suggestions in relation to activities or toys regards

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanx for all the replies, i thinking moving forward i will just try to make friends with her outside, without feeding, any suggestions in relation to activities or toys regards
Treats might be the most effective, as toys don't always work well in an environment where a cat is on alert, but you can try any lure toy if you like (basically thats something on a stick or ribbon). Something like Da Bird or Cat Dancer. Or you could just be patient, bend over or sit, stick out your fist, make various types of call noises (click, coo, etc) and see what happens.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Treats might be the most effective
But people often object if you feed their cats, so I wouldn't recommend offering treats. J japam the best way to start might be making some friendly noises. Try calling "Puss, puss, puss." or "Kitty, kitty, kitty." and see how the cat reacts.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But people often object if you feed their cats, so I wouldn't recommend offering treats. J japam the best way to start might be making some friendly noises. Try calling "Puss, puss, puss." or "Kitty, kitty, kitty." and see how the cat reacts.
Just wanted to say cheers for the advice, things have improved, the sed cat still runs towards me but stops 1.5 metres away, just watching me.

All 6 cats do not run when they see me or open the door now, 3 kittens, adult male and two females, all happy and content to stay in their current location, even if i am 1.5 metres away. All six were in the garden two days back.

The ginger kitten, got too much energy, always bothering others, the grey kitten, seems very traditional in the sense, that takes on board the parents knowledge, marking its territory, scratching the fence and foraging on one particular green plant in my garden, and the black kitten, has mastered the art of watching you from a distance.

All three kittens wander into my garden unsupervised.
I do think they are under feed though, i've been up since 5am, and usually i would see the owner [not for a few days], hustle into their garden, and dish one can of whiska's for the lot.