Neighbour's cat spraying near my door

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neighbour has a cat who is let out every day and he often hangs out in front of my door. I recently discovered that he has been peeing right next to my door against the wall (visible pee marks + smell). I think this is new behaviour as I brought home my kitten Zephyr about 1.5 months ago and I just started noticing this recently.

I'm going to clean up the pee with an enzymatic cleaner (Anti Icky Poo) but is there any way I can deter the neighbour's cat from peeing next to my door? I'm worried that once Zephyr gets older, he will start spraying indoors in response (he is an indoor-only cat who gets outside time on a leash and is neutered, but I've read that neutered cats can still spray).

I unfortunately don't think asking the neighbour to keep his cat inside is going to work because the cat is used to going outside and has been doing so for a long time. What are my options for deterring the cat from hanging around outside my door and spraying against the wall of my home?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
There are air spray devices although I'm reading reviews indicating the ssscat product isn't all that reliable lately. You could spray pieces of cloth with lemon scented furniture polish (these will need "freshening" every now and then) and if you search there are other natural do it yourself deterrents.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Sooo…
Many years ago, I had a similar situation. Neighbors cat was spraying on our patio. Since this was in an apartment complex, I was not only concerned with my own cats well being, but that we would get blamed by management.

So, once I figured out which neighbor the cat belonged to, I broached the subject of if they were planning on getting their boy fixed any time soon. Turns out they didn’t realize that boy cats sprayed as a natural thing, they thought he was misbehaving by peeing in the house. Once I told them that getting him neutered would curb that (as well as replacing their now ruined couch), they did exactly that.

We remained good friends with those neighbors over the years, watched many Superbowls with them, celebrated birthdays, helped each other in tough times, and watched their kids grow up.
Mr. Kitty has long since crossed the rainbow bridge, but he definitely left a mark. 😆

Point is, if you approach your neighbor with kindness, you might be able to resolve the situation together.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might also try placing down chicken wire around the door where this cat pees - It would seem most cats do not like to walk on it, so maybe he will avoid that area once the chicken wire is down.